Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes/March 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

OBJ's an idiot....he may be talented but his antics are going to make himself undesirable by teams and out of the NFL if he doesn't watch out....

Odell Beckham Jr. does not seem to be fazed by any of the recent trade rumors. The Giants wide receiver appeared to be in good spirits in an Instagram story posted by Jaguars wide receiver Shane Wynn on Tuesday.Beckham is seen dancing outside of a car to Flipp Dinero’s “Leave Me Alone” with a giant smile on his face. It is an interesting song choice, perhaps more than just a coincidence, as Beckham has had quite the eventful offseason thus far.

So what's up with the Eagles' Brandon Graham....rumor is the Eagles may face difficulties in re-signing him, Graham's in the last year of his deal, and Eagles' GM said although Graham deserves a good deal, they have a cap and are trying to fit in as many players as they can.  The Eagles have about 5 mill in cap space and need to sign draft picks.........

Redskin fans were asked what they consider the biggest area of need in the draft: 

Some voted for RB, for others it was NT, others O line, TE.....and for MANY it was a new GM...followed by one vote for new owner....Woman LOL

Just to round out the NFC East---Jerry Jones is his dilusional self as he says the draft is setting up nicely for the Cowboys to make a big splash...“Well, the rumors of the wildcatter’s demise has certainly been exaggerated,” Jones said with a smile and a wink at the NFL owners meeting. They do have 10 picks so they could trade up, but Jones thinks they can get their guy at their #19 spot..But they have only 5 mill in cap space.....(and a heck of a lot in dead cap space)....WTG Jerry! 

Prayers and best wishes to Jim Kelly who completed a 12 hour surgery for cancer which had returned, the surgery was deemed a success  ......Since 12 was his number maybe that's a good sign! 

Im not in favor of eliminating kickoffs, special teams are an important part of the game and key in field position....Of course my opinion or vote don't count, but if the owners keep messing with the game, they are going to drive people away......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think the Eagles will be able to resign Brandon Graham if they choose to. He and Howie Roseman (the Eagles GM) have a good relationship. They were on a show together shortly after the Super Bowl and both seemed confident they could work things out. The Eagles might have to let him go if his asking price is too high though. Some veterans are going to get cut either this training camp or next to free up cap space, and Graham could be a guy who's cut free. Jason Peters could be gone also. The 2019 and 2020 Eagles will likely look a lot different as the team will have to find somewhere around $30 million a year to pay Carson Wentz.

The next couple of drafts will be vital to find young guys who are affordable and good. The Eagles are pretty much two deep with starting caliber players at every position now. That will have to change as guys want more money on new deals.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Feeling down, can't get motivated and get going.....let Redskin President Bruce Allen supply the laughs and get your jump started...........I can't believe he would actually say this out loud animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

on 

Washington team President Bruce Allen thinks he upgraded at the quarterback position this offseason because Alex Smith has won more games than Kirk Cousins as a starting quarterback. But in making that case, Allen may have inadvertently painted himself as a failure.

Allen said at the league meeting that everyone in football — not just the quarterback but everybody, including the team president — should be judged on winning or losing.

“Wins and losses is the most important statistic when it comes to an equipment manager, a TEAM PRESIDENTa quarterback, a running back, a guard or a coach,” Allen said, via the Washington Post.

One problem: Allen has a 52-75-1 record in Washington, a winning percentage of .410. If that’s the way team presidents are judged, how has Allen kept his job so long?

Ultimately, Allen is more responsible for Washington’s record than Cousins is. If team presidents are judged by winning and losing, maybe Cousins isn’t the only one who needed to be replaced.

The answer to the question on why Snyder hasn't fired Bruce is due to the fact that Snyder idolized Bruce's dad, Coach George Allen.....how long that gives him a pass....well we will see, if Redskins continue to wallow in mediocrity look for Doug Williams to be promoted to Team President ......JMHO

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Bruce Allen had to say that getting Smith was an upgrade. He couldn't admit freely that they botched the Cousins situation for two years. Maybe Smith will help the team.

According to Allen's statement about everyone responsible for wins and losses, he did say that he was a loser. I doubt that he really meant to say it that way. The whole thing just came out wrong. it does make for some good reading, though. Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslawwrote:

Bruce Allen had to say that getting Smith was an upgrade. He couldn't admit freely that they botched the Cousins situation for two years. Maybe Smith will help the team.

According to Allen's statement about everyone responsible for wins and losses, he did say that he was a loser. I doubt that he really meant to say it that way. The whole thing just came out wrong. it does make for some good reading, though. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

You noticed how he mentioned the equipment manager in the group....so I guess that's whose Allen's scapegoat will be....Woman Frustrated

Yep, it shows how his mind works and the fact he doesnt think very well, yet is making important decisions for the team--SHEESH!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The Redskins better hope Alex Smith is Tom Brady in disguise. Andy Reid doesn't generally trade away good quarterbacks unless he's bowled over by the price. A corner and a third round pick doesn't strike me as a big price. If Andy loved Alex Smith, he'd likely yawn at that offer and walk away. 

The Eagles have picked up two corners in trades recently. We got Ronald Darby for Jordan Matthews (who's still a free agent as I type this, so his value isn't great.) We got the kid Worley from Carolina for Torrey Smith who we were going to cut. Darby and Worley are both starters in the league and pretty good corners. They're pretty comparable to Kendall Fuller.

Andy's traded quite a few QB's through the years (AJ Feeley to the Dolphins for a second round pick. Kevin Kolb to the Cards for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick. McNabb to the Redskins for a second and a fourth.) He always seems to come out on top in those trades. You can make a pretty good argument he asked for less for Alex Smith than he did for any of the others. That might cause a skeptic to think he thinks less of Alex Smith than he did the others.

I would be very nervous trading for a former Andy Reid quarterback. As a rule, and we've seen it a lot, they play significantly less well when away from Andy and his system. He's been coaching in the NFL for about 20 years now and none of the quarterbacks he's discarded have gone on to be stars elsewhere.

Maybe Alex Smith will be the exception. Maybe Andy was just being nice to the Redskins and not asking for a lot in the trade. Maybe Alex Smith will shake off Andy's shackles and be the league MVP. My money is more on things imploding badly for Alex in DC. The good news for him is he got paid, and paid well. That could also be the bad news for the Redskins. They're kind of saddled with his cap hit for the next four years.

Alex Smith has to learn a new offense now. Has to adjust to new teammates. And he's doing all of that on the backside of his career. Jay Gruden's a good coach, but so were a lot of the coaches who also took Andy Reid cast-offs. We'll see what happens, but my money is on things ending badly for Alex Smith in DC. I wouldn't be shocked to see Colt McCoy end up the season as the starter. He knows the offense best.

I'm not sure what it is with QB's under Andy, but they'll look really good playing for him, then go elsewhere and melt away. People thought AJ Feeley was special. Nah. Kevin Kolb was going to be great. Nah. McNabb was a hall of famer. Only while playing for Andy. Alex Smith? We'll see, but if history is any indicator things don't look so good for DC.

Bruce Allen, Jay Gruden, and pretty much everyone else down there may be tossed into the moat around the new stadium if this implodes badly, and I suspect it will. It'll be fun to watch anyway.

The Redskins drafting 13th had a pretty good shot to move up and get a kid QB this year. They may have even had one fall to them at 13. A kid would have been cheap (relatively speaking) for five years. Instead they locked up Alex Smith for big money despite claiming Colt McCoy could lead the team perfectly well. If Lamar Jackson is still there at 13 and they pass on him and he becomes this year's DeShaun Watson while Alex Smith becomes this year's AJ Feeley, things could get pretty uncomfortable in DC.

When it comes to football player evaluations, I kind of trust Andy over the guys in DC.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

While I will say that Bruce Allen is doing a snow job making it sound like Alex Smith is minutes away from the Hall Of Fame--nothing but sales fluff, he's making it sound like Alex is second only toTom Brady..Woman LOL

But I don't think that Andy Reid should be considered an elite coach either it's matter of looking at simple facts...Reid got rid of Alex Smith because let's face it  the Chiefs had only $3 mill in cap space, and Alex Smith would have taken up $17 mill and he's 34 yrs old!!!!---So it made perfect sense to to try to make a trade (he wasn't just doing the Redskins a favor),  so he dumped a big salary for his aging player and got Fuller a good player for an area of need.   And if Fuller wasn't included Andy wasn't going to do the deal........

And personally I never thought any of the Eagles past QBs were all that, perhaps they were over rated by other teams and that's why they failed with new teams!!!!...Come on-McNabb, Michael ICK, Feely, Kolb--not impressive to me by any means or anyone outside of Philly.  Sometimes its a system and the players around a QB that makes them a success--thats the reason the Redskins didnt want to overpay for Kirk--he looked good with the right teammates around him, but didnt really elevate the team on his own. Only Joe Gibbs--- took 3 average QBs and won 3 Super Bowls with them....thats why Joe is in the Hall Of Fame--or just one reason....

Yes the Redskins made a HUGE MISTAKE with the whole Cousins fiasco (and thats Allen's fault and he caused the price to rise for QBs to an unreasonable level) yes the Redskins definitely OVERPAID for Alex Smith....But taking yet another chance on a young QB---when the QBs in this year's draft ALL have their different faults/weaknesses---and with so many teams needing a QB this year, the Redskins didnt /want to go down that path fighting with all other teams and trading away their future and trading away draft picks to move up, when the team has so many holes to fill, ....so they went with a veteran...Personally they SHOULD HAVE just gone with Colt McCoy!!!!----JMHO!!!  But I dont think it made sense to mortgage the future when the team is still hurting from the RGIII deal.  And the way Alex Smith's contract is structured if Alex bombs the team has a way out. Another key part of Smith's deal is the salary-cap hits. In 2018, Smith ranks 16th among quarterbacks, at $18.4 million. In 2019, he ranks 19th, at $20.4 million, and in 2020, he ranks ninth out of the 20 quarterbacks with contracts extending into that season. He'll fall a lot farther once other quarterbacks -- like Matt Ryand and Aaron Rodgers sign extensions. Over that span, Cousins' cap hits rank sixth, third and second.,

With the corner Allen backed the Redskins into...it wasn't a bad scenario..........

And Lamar Jackson was just raked through the coals in this mornings discussion of QB prospects......

BTW Sudfeld was a Redskin reject so lets see what happens if the Eagles get rid of Foles and Wentz experiences issues with his injury and the team needs to go with their backup QB.  Id hang to Foles if I were the Eagles........

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

We'll have to see how Nate Sudfeld does when given a chance to play, but the coaches and players rave about him. We'll see a lot of him in the preseason as neither Foles not Wentz will play much. I don't think Wentz will see even one live snap this preseason. The Eagles will likely be pulling Nick pretty quickly also, so Sudfeld should get lots of snaps.

Nate's an interesting guy. Apparently the Redskins cut him with the plan to resign him once they'd cleared a roster spot by putting a guy on IR. He signed in Philly instead. Then the Colts tried to lure him from Philly, so the Eagles activated him and gave him a pay bump. The two former Eagle offensive coaches (Frank Reich with the Colts and Defilippo with the Vikings) both rave about Sudfeld. He played well against Dallas in the season finale. The kid's got potential and the attention of multiple teams around the league. We'll get to see a lot of him come August.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the Eagles are so lucky to have three very good and talented QBs!!

Wentz had a truly phenomenal season that was sadly cut short. Everyone is looking forward to his return!

Foles really stepped up ... and became the MVP of the Super Bowl! So glad that Doug Pederson said this week that Foles is very happy staying on with the Eagles...and that it is a "safe bet" he will be there in September.

And Sudfeld looks very promising!

So if Wentz cannot start right away, Foles will be there...with Sudfeld as his back-up. And then as soon as Wentz is 100%, he will take over again. The Eagles are in an enviable position with their three terrific QBs!

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetlewrote:

I think the Eagles are very lucky to have three very good and talented QBs!!

Wentz had a truly phenomenal season that was sadly cut short. Everyone is looking forward to his return!

Foles really stepped up ... and became the MVP of the Super Bowl! So glad that Doug Pederson said this week that Foles is very happy staying on with the Eagles...and that it is a "safe bet" he will be there in September.

And Sudfeld looks very promising!

So if Wentz cannot start right away, Foles will be there...with Sudfeld as his back-up. And then as soon as Wentz is 100%, he will take over again. The Eagles are in an enviable position with their three terrific QBs!

I don't think there's any team in the league with a better quarterback situation. Two proven starters and a highly valued younger guy, is a pretty good spot to be in. Foles will be a free agent in 2019. Sudfeld will be a free agent in 2020. Chances are the Eagles will be looking for another young guy in next year's draft. They did interview Lamar Jackson at the combine, so if he falls to 32 (very unlikely, but you never know) the Eagles might get tempted to grab him this year. I don't think they would, but you never know.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!