Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes/March 2018!!

The Redskins will sign the Seahawks receiver Paul Richardson to a five year $40 million deal with $20 million guaranteed. He gives them a speedy deep threat, but Alex Smith generally doesn't throw deep, so we'll have to see how that works out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Speaking of the Redskins, reports are now emerging that the Redskins brass were telling everyone at the combine that Cousins wasn't that good and that they could have gotten the same performance from Colt McCoy. Makes you wonder why they tagged him twice and paid him as much as they did if qhe was that average of a quarterback. We'll start finding out who's right come September.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

As to why the Redskins tagged Cousins twice...but not a third time... I have read and heard many accounts over the past several years that say Dan Snyder was petrified at the backlash he would get from the Redskin fans as well as the DC sports media if Cousins had wound up with Kyle Shanahan and done very well. So Snyder went to extreme lengths to keep that from happening. And he succeeded!

We know the history....Snyder fired Mike and Kyle Shanahan, who had both championed Kirk Cousins. Mike drafted Kirk and both he and Kyle touted him. The feeling was mutual. Kirk revered both Mike and Kyle. Have posted here before that after a big win under Gruden a few seasons ago, the first words out of Kirk's mouth after the game were effusive praise for Mike and Kyle Shanahan...with no mention of Gruden or Snyder!

The theory put forth by different sports analysts and writers was that Snyder knew that Kirk wanted to play under Kyle. And Snyder feared he would be run out of town if Kirk and Kyle were successful together...possibly even winning a Super Bowl. Washington fans and the DC media would chastise Snyder for letting Kyle and Kirk get away from the Redskins. So he and Bruce Allen put up roadblocks in the form of the tags to keep Kirk away from Kyle.

But now that Kyle has Garoppolo, there was no need to try and keep Kirk. 

Again, this is not my theory but something I have been reading and hearing for several years. And it makes sense, imo! 

Honored Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

The Redskins will sign the Seahawks receiver Paul Richardson to a five year $40 million deal with $20 million guaranteed. He gives them a speedy deep threat, but Alex Smith generally doesn't throw deep, so we'll have to see how that works out.

@gardenman

At least we got a proven WR....this draft is weak in them, and the jury is still out with Doctson.....We shouldve kept Garcon but they didnt want to pay an old WR a lot of money.........They just dont listen to me....

.I bet Garcon and Jimmy G are happy they both ended up with the 49ers.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenmanwrote:

Speaking of the Redskins, reports are now emerging that the Redskins brass were telling everyone at the combine that Cousins wasn't that good and that they could have gotten the same performance from Colt McCoy. Makes you wonder why they tagged him twice and paid him as much as they did if qhe was that average of a quarterback. We'll start finding out who's right come September.

@gardenman @yellowBeetle

Thats just the "prince of darkness" trying to cover his tracks and calm down the fan base....But looking at what Cousins is going to get from the Vikings on a short term deal (so Kirk  can explore free agency in 3 short years once again)  the Redskins were never going to come to terms with what Kirk and his agent wanted!!!!  Of course we will see the contract in more detail once his actual deal gets done....and there's a possible tampering charge being talked about for the Vikes too.....

Kurt Warner was breaking down film on Cousins both good and bad plays and I can understand why the Redskins didnt sign him right away...they were waiting for a big showing from him --they wanted to see Kirk actually take a game over and put it on his shoulders and win one.. .....But that never happened..as Kurt Warner confirmed, .studying film.he said he would go with Keenum over Cousins..........

But at the same time the Redskins just werent willing to let him go.... rumor was that they were going to release him early on and go with McCoy....who knows how that would have worked out....But I can see why they didnt want to draft another rookie and start over again for the umteempth time.....and the prospects all have weaknesses..Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Most of the experts say Cousins is around the top ten in NFL QB's. I would put Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Wentz, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton (on a good year,) Drew Brees and Matt Ryan all ahead of him. DeShaun Watson and Jared Goff are probably both better, but we haven't seen them a lot. Kudos to Cousins and his agent for manipulating the system to make him the highest paid QB. Now he's got to live up to his status. That's the hard part.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Wow! The Cards are signing Sam Bradford for $20 million for one year with a $20 million option for a second year. That's some pretty serious money for a QB who's very, very fragile.

The Eagles are signing linebacker Corey Nelson from the Broncos. We could use some depth at linebacker, so it makes sense. The Broncos apparently matched the Eagles offer, but Nelson opted for the Eagles over the Broncos.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenmanwrote:

Most of the experts say Cousins is around the top ten in NFL QB's. I would put Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Wentz, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton (on a good year,) Drew Brees and Matt Ryan all ahead of him. DeShaun Watson and Jared Goff are probably both better, but we haven't seen them a lot. Kudos to Cousins and his agent for manipulating the system to make him the highest paid QB. Now he's got to live up to his status. That's the hard part.

@gardenman

They had the stats up on NFL Network and the panel guessed that they belonged to Kirk Cousins...when the stats were revealed it was actually Keenum that led the pack....Yep, if Kirk doesnt live up to the $$$$ there is going to be hell to pay!!! 

Image result for cat as devil

Honored Contributor

WOW---so many surprises..........it makes you wonder what surprises the draft will hold............

I cant believe the Cards paid that much for so frail of a QB....I hope they get a good backup..................

Honored Contributor

I see where the Eagles released TE Brent Celek leaving Zach Ertz as the Eagles's only TE with Trey Burton leaving the Eagles for the Bears..................