Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes/March 2018!!

Apparently the Seahawks wanted to take the Patriots offer for Michael Bennett, but had already verbally agreed to take the offer from the Eagles. They had a long thought about backing out of the deal with the Eagles, but ultimately decided to stick to the verbal agreement with the Eagles. NFL teams have a tradition of sticking with verbal agreements once they're made. It could create chaos otherwise.

Imagine what would happen if the Chiefs got a better offer for Alex Smith than what the Redskins offered and backed out of the trade today. The Redskins let Cousins go and would have no proven QB. They'd be in all kinds of trouble. There's nothing stopping KC from doing just that as no trade is official until next Wednesday, but the league-wide impact would be too dramatic, so teams honor their word. The Seahawks thought about breaking their word, but ended up taking the Eagles deal they'd already agreed to.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Seatlle isn't doing Russell Wilson any favors. He carried the team last season, and they're expecting him to do it again this year. The Eagles defense will be even more intimidating, if that's possible. 

The Patriots released Martellus Bennett. I don't understand why they signed him in the first place. Things didn't look good after his time with the Packers. 

SPURT, are you OK with having Alex Smith as the qb? I missed it if you already stated how you feel about Smith. I would be OK with it; Smith has had some good games and his team won the division. Also maybe you could help lead a march stating #fireBruceAllen, if so inclined. Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Most teams are trying to patch holes this time of year and Seattle is busy making new holes. It's an interesting strategy. Bennett's gone, Richard Sherman will be gone, Earl Thomas has a 'For Sale' sign around his neck, and they've got some key players who are free agents. It's going to take a heck of a coaching job to get a winning season this year in Seattle. The Niners and Rams are both better and the Cards could/should improve.

If nothing else, the locker room chemistry will be affected. A whole lot of guys who comprised the heart and soul of that team are gone. Replacing that leadership and energy will be a challenge.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslawwrote:

Seatlle isn't doing Russell Wilson any favors. He carried the team last season, and they're expecting him to do it again this year. The Eagles defense will be even more intimidating, if that's possible. 

The Patriots released Martellus Bennett. I don't understand why they signed him in the first place. Things didn't look good after his time with the Packers. 

SPURT, are you OK with having Alex Smith as the qb? I missed it if you already stated how you feel about Smith. I would be OK with it; Smith has had some good games and his team won the division. Also maybe you could help lead a march stating #fireBruceAllen, if so inclined. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

I would rather have Alex than the QBs coming up in the draft which all have some sort of question marks and whether they can make it in the NFL.......

Alex has his good points---he is more mobile than Cousins, throws less interceptions, faster in his reads and getting rid of the ball.  The bad is he's 34 so the team still doesn't have a long term solution--hes not Tom Brady so I dont see Alex playing when he's 40....maybe we can use him another 2-3 yrs....so there we go back again looking for a QB....

We need to get better weapons for Alex to be effective---We need better WRs than Doctson & Crowder and definitely a more reliable TE then the much injured Jordan Reed who isnt reliable at all......Chris Thompson is a good 3rd down back but not an every down RB and we need someone better than Rob Kelley........Our line is decent so that should help IF Trent William can stay healthy...So we need help on offense to make it work....and still need spots on defense too....

On one fan forum they refer to Bruce Allen as "The Prince Of Darkness"...ROFL...Woman LOL

They say Baker Mayfield with all those mental and off field issues is planning tript to visit the Browns, Jets, and Giants....I know Eli will be the Giants starter, and perhaps they see Eli  teaching and mentoring Mayfield both on and off the field. But I still question Baker's character....

Some see him playing for the Jets---he would start and the NY media is brutal and I wonder if he could handle that.......I dont think that would be a good place for him and not much on offense for him to work with...

And the Browns....where potential QB careers go to die..............

I agree with you and Russell Wilson.....the Seahawks better be clearing cap space to get him some decent linemen...or he just might want to retire from the NFL and go with baseball  hes playing for Yankess right now.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The rookie quarterbacks this year are an interesting mix. Baker Mayfield has shown the most in college, but is smaller than ideal, and has some maturity and off field issues. Sam Darnold is generally thought to be the most pro ready of the options, but there are questions about his ceiling. Josh Allen is being called a stronger, more athletic version of Carson Wentz, but his football intelligence is in question. Lamar Jackson is probably the most athletic quarterback to hit the draft since Mike Vick, but can you build an NFL offense around him? Josh Rosen has questions about his leadership qualities. There is no clear number one choice, and any of the five could become a hall of famer, or a flop.

It must drive the GM's looking for a quarterback slightly nuts trying to sort through the options. Get it right and you're a playoff team. Get it wrong and you're probably out of a job.

By the way, Drew Brees hasn't been signed yet. If he isn't signed by Monday, does his agent start fielding calls? Both Brees and the Saints have said he'd likely stay there, but there's going to be some big numbers floating around on Monday.  Brees going to Denver or Arizona could be interesting. New Orleans could be in all kinds of trouble if Brees bolts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Just listened to an interview with Terry Bradshaw on my favorite local sports radio talk station. The converation took many twists and turns and was highly entertaining! It was funny when the guys were discussing team uniforms past and present. One of the radio hosts is from Cleveland, and mentioned that the Browns' uniform was the only one without a logo on the helmet. Bradshaw didn't skip a beat and said, "What are they gonna put there - a fudge?" I was in the car and almost veered out of my lane but luckily my new car's technology wouldn't let me do that.

Honored Contributor

The Rams are continuing to rebuild. They just picked up Aqib Talib from the Broncos. That gives them two solid corners in Marcus Peters and now Talib. The Rams would certainly look to be the favorite in the NFC West for 2018.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The Rams also signed Sam Shields, the former Packer cornerback to a contract. That gives them three former Pro Bowl corners. They're pretty serious about shutting down other teams passing games.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LonestarBabswrote:

Just listened to an interview with Terry Bradshaw on my favorite local sports radio talk station. The converation took many twists and turns and was highly entertaining! It was funny when the guys were discussing team uniforms past and present. One of the radio hosts is from Cleveland, and mentioned that the Browns' uniform was the only one without a logo on the helmet. Bradshaw didn't skip a beat and said, "What are they gonna put there - a fudge?" I was in the car and almost veered out of my lane but luckily my new car's technology wouldn't let me do that.

@LonestarBabs

LOL!!!  Fudge Woman LOL  Or the poop emoji---LOL!!!....when i was a kid I remember they had a brownie (like an elf ) as their unofficial mascot...not very formidable...LOL!!!  

download.pngImage result for poop emoji

They could go with the unofficial fan mascot the Dawg Pound...

Image result for browns with brownie logo

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

A silhouette of Paul Brown in his hat would be a good logo for their helmets. The Browns are named after him, and he has a fairly unique profile, so that could work. The poop emoji is more fitting based on their recent 1-31 record, but a profile of Paul Brown would probably be preferred by the league.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!