Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes/March 2018!!

@Spurt

I think the Eagles will work things out with Vinny Curry. I'm betting his contract will get rewritten in some way to free up cap space, but still gets Vinny his money. Salary might get moved to a signing bonus or something of the sort. If they can't work a deal, he'll likely get traded. Defensive ends with his skill set are hard to come by and have value. I don't see the Eagles just releasing him.

I agree with you about Bradley Chubb. I have him as the first non-QB going in the draft. I think Saquon Barkley is a better player, but running backs aren't as highly valued as QB's and defensive ends. I think three quarterbacks and Chubb will be the first four picks. Then you get to Denver's pick. With the Jets picking six, I could see the Jets jumping up to four and the Browns dropping back to six. That would get the Jets ahead of the Broncos for a QB. The Browns could still get a top guy at six.

With three QB's likely going in the first four picks, Denver's in a tough spot at five. Moving up is expensive. The draft value charts have that first overall pick at 3,000 and pick five at 1,700, so to move way up would cost Denver a lot. Moving up a little, say five to four, isn't as expensive, but it's also not too expensive for the Jets to move from six to four. (Which I think is the most likely move, but I wouldn't rule out Arizona making the move from fifteen to four.) 

It's a weird year in that there are a lot of quarterbacks available, but the quality and certainty of what you're getting isn't there. Josh Allen could be another Carson Wentz, but his accuracy and numbers weren't great. Physically he's everything you want, but can he use it on the field? Case Keenum had a great year, but was that a fluke, or has he grown into becoming a top notch starting QB? Sam Bradford has all the talent in the world, but the knees of a seventy year old.

A whole lot of coaches and GM's are betting their futures on getting the right guy, and there are no guarantees that any of the options are safe. Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles might be the safest options. Both have played, and played well in the league. Kirk's very expensive, Nick's not so expensive. Of course, Nick was cut a couple of years ago when the Rams decided he wasn't any good. There are no easy answers at QB this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurtwrote:

@gardenman @yellowBeetle

First, at @yellowBeetle confirm what you said about @gardenman posts---enjoy them....

Kirk and his agent are pricing themselves out of the market....I wonder if he will be blackballed behind the scenes....Packers, Saints, Falcons are probably telling the teams in the race for Cousins please dont pay a lot for the guy do you know what you're going to do to the QB market? Or maybe teams with a long term QB in place are ROFL!!!..............

But I agree, I think Kirk is headed to Minnesota....Gee I was hoping the Redskins/Vikings would switch QBs Kirk would go to Vikes and Case would go to the Redskins....as you said @yellowBeetle  I think Case is better than Kirk....

I bet the offers for Foles will start rolling in as teams distance themselves from Kirk..............

So what are the Eagles going to do with Vinny Curry they cant afford his 9 mill base contract or 11 mill cap hit....It appears he would have to take less money to stay....since he has a Super Bowl ring coming he may opt to move on ...................

@teganslaw

So Chubb put up a good showing at the Combine....and he told the media  “I try to take Khalil Mack and  Von Miller and put them into one person,” Chubb said. “Khalil Mack’s the more powerful guy, probably the best long arm in the game right now. Von Miller’s the speed, finesse guy. Just try to put both of those together, have some power moves, have some speed moves that I go to.”

If he lives up to his own hype and the Colts pick him in the draft your gonna get a heck of a good player! 

@

@Spurt

Cousins new "demand" of 90 million $$$ guaranteed is so ludicrous! If someone actually pays him that I think they will regret it! As Nate Burleson said on Good Morning Football last week when they were talking about the Vikings not keeping Case Keenum but instead going after Cousins..."be careful what you wish for!" 

I keep thinking how Chip Kelly must feel after trading away Foles for Sam Bradford! And I will never, ever forgive Kelly for trading LeSean McCoy....and DeSean Jackson. Kelly was like a mad scientist doing risky experiments with the Eagles' roster. He blew it up! Thank goodness Howie Roseman was put back in charge! Read that both he and owner Jeffrey Lurie were huge fans of Foles and went all out to get him back last year. And that's why I truly believe they will treat Foles with the respect he deserves and has earned, and will let him dictate his future. If he wants to stay as a backup, I think they will honor that wish...but if he wants more $$$ and to be a starter, I think they will work to make that happen! Foles may very well like to go someplace like Arizona where, as gardenman said, he went to college.

Well now we have just 10 days until all of these moves can be finalized!! Will be a fun period! 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the 90 million Cousins is demanding is his agent's idea. I don't see how Cousins will get all fo that in guranteed money. It could be that his agent wants him to go high and negotiate from that point. Agents tend to carry some influence with contracts.

Le'Veon Bell is expected to be tagged. Will he sign it? There are reports that he won't play under the franchise tag.... stay posted.

Most of the mock drafts expect the Colts to take Bradley Chubb. The team needs a pass rusher, and Chubb would be a good fit. I hope he would live up to the hype.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Chubb will be a good pick, but bear in mind defensive ends typically need a couple of years to fully develop. The worst offensive tackles at the NFL level are typically bigger, stronger, and faster than the best guys they played against in college. It's typically year two or three before the kids have grown enough to show you what they're really capable of. He might just be a four or five sack guy in year one, but each year after that he'll improve. NFL offensive lineman are beasts and kids coming out of college have to get bigger, stronger, and develop more techniques to defeat them regularly.

If you watch rookie defensive ends, even the best end up either on the ground, suckered into being in the wrong place, or just blown off the line of scrimmage by veteran offensive linemen. It takes them a year or two to develop and learn the game. Very, very few look impressive in their rookie year, but the good ones grow into the job, and Chubb is a good one.

With the Eagles this year, Derek Barnett had a decent year, but he'll be better next year and even better the following year. It takes a few years for a defensive end to really learn the game. Offensive coordinators will torture them early on, but the kids will learn and grow. I expect Barnett to get around ten sacks next year, and be among the league leaders after that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

More info is leaking out on that offer for Foles it was an AFC team that offered the Eagles a 2nd round pick......

Hmmm.....lets see AFC---Denver? Jets? Browns? Buffalo? Dolphins? 

There's a rumor that the Eagles might try to get Bradford back if they decide to make a deal for Foles...............

Both ESPN and Fox are trying to land Peyton Manning into broadcasting....Fox wants Troy Aikman to go to the pre-game show for Thursday games and have Peyton in the booth....And ESPN wants Peyton for MNF.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

More info is leaking out on that offer for Foles it was an AFC team that offered the Eagles a 2nd round pick......

Hmmm.....lets see AFC---Denver? Jets? Browns? Buffalo? Dolphins? 

There's a rumor that the Eagles might try to get Bradford back if they decide to make a deal for Foles...............

Both ESPN and Fox are trying to land Peyton Manning into broadcasting....Fox wants Troy Aikman to go to the pre-game show for Thursday games and have Peyton in the booth....And ESPN wants Peyton for MNF.........

@Spurt

Well, if Foles went to Buffalo he would be reunited with Shady McCoy! Woman Happy

Peyton seems like such a natural to be in the booth. Certainly Romo proved to be very good with Nantz on CBS. I'm going to miss Jon Gruden on MNF!

Honored Contributor

The Eagles will need another quarterback or two regardless of whether they trade Foles. You really want three to four QB's for training camp and with Foles we'll only have two healthy guys. If Foles leaves, we'll be down to one. While it's good for Sudfeld to get lots of reps, you don't want his arm falling off.

I suspect Teddy Bridgewater might want to come to Philly for the QB coaching. A one year deal where he gets intense coaching and a chance to prove he's healthy might be a good idea for him. Bradford probably isn't a great fit for this offense, but he could come back. 

Buffalo would be an option for the Foles trade. They have a gazillion draft picks and routinely trade with Philly. LeSean McCoy is a big Foles supporter, so there is that and Sean McDermott was in Philly, but left before Foles came.

I still think Denver is the best fit, but Arizona is another likely destination. Buffalo, the Jets, and lots of other teams are possibilities. I'm pretty sure whatever happens will happen in the next ten days. We'll see which teams land a free agent QB starting next Monday, and then see who still has a vacancy. These next few weeks look pretty interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

As expected, the Cowboys have slapped the franchise tag on Demarcus Lawrence. He seems happy with that and seems inclined to follow the Kirk Cousins path and force the Cowboys to keep tagging him until the tag price becomes too high, or they pay him what he wants.

Le'Veon Bell will be tagged later today. They're still far apart on a new contract as Bell wants wide receiver money more than running back money. He's their leading rusher and number two receiver, so he wants around $15 million a year (wide receiver money) while the highest paid running backs make around $8 million. They're closer to a new deal, but not very close just yet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Gardenman, that's a good point you make about defensive ends. I don't expect Chubb, if drafted by Indy, to be a sack leader immediately. I just hope that he adjusts to the NFL and improves with training.

Demarcus Lawrence was tagged for 17 million; how did the Cowboys figure that with their limited cap space? Dallas lineman Anthony Hitchens is a free agent, and there is talk on the Colts forum of him going to Indy. I'll see in about a week if it's true.

It seems like the Eagles want to hold on to Foles. They would let him go, but want a first round dratt pick for him. I think that it should be up to Foles to decide what he wants.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

The Cowboys had $16.4 million in cap space before tagging Lawrence, so he ate that and a bit more. They'll likely restructure some more contracts to free up some more money, but they won't have a lot to spend on free agents. I believe they have another twelve free agents besides Lawrence that they'll either have to sign or replace. Their cap management is eroding the talent and depth from their roster. 

Next Monday the legal tampering period starts, but lots of discussions have already taken place through back channels. I suspect most teams already know the asking price for free agents and the players know what certain teams are willing to pay. On Wednesday of next week the signings will start.

If the Eagles trade Foles it will be because Nick wants a chance to start, and wants a bigger payday. They won't give him away as he's too valuable to the team. NFL Films had Nick wired for sound during the Super Bowl and the way he talked/led the team should get GM's attention. The players love Nick and Nick loves them, and you get to hear it all on that video. It's not typical that you get to hear a guy talking like that through a whole game. He was calm, confident, assured, and in control. Those are things you'll know you get with Nick that you're not sure you'll get with a kid. I think he'll get traded as teams evaluate the risks/rewards of the rest of the quarterback crop.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!