Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes/March 2018!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

WOW!!! Gardenman sorry to hear about your slow recovery process.  I hope those injections aren't painful.  But at least glad to hear you got your strength back and are good with crutches.  I broke my foot a couple years ago when I was hiking with some friends....my doctor said no weight bearing on the foot but I never could get the hang of using crutches....Sending quick healing wishes your way!!!!

BTW looks like the Eagles Super Bowl win has put a thorn in Jerry Jones's craw, he said it's put more pressure on the Cowboys to win, since the Super Bowl winners are in the same division and he expected his Cowboys to be in the Super Bowl.....I think he's dreaming they need to work on that defense and they need another WR---...Dez is showing his age.....And I think the jury is still out with Dak too..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @gardenman

That Cousin's situation is impacting the entire NFL QB situation and wrecking havoc on the cap so that every team will have to spend an outrageous amount for a QB ! What cap space is any team going to have left to put together a solid team to win a Super Bowl if they are paying him that kind of money---He told the Washington media he wanted to go to a team that wanted to win.....what happened to that....the Jets are now saying they think he will end up with the Vikings....Woman Frustrated  I think he's just TOO GREEDY!!!!

At first when this started, I had wanted the Redskins to sign him and realized we might have to over pay a LITTLE, but defintiely NOT for the kind of money he and his agent want!!!! WOW!!!--hes not THAT GOOD-and now Im glad he's gone and the Redskins made a good decision to move on.  We need money to add pieces to our offense/defense and sign a couple of our free agents-Zach Brown and Will Compton.....Just another Redskin QB jersey thats going in the Goodwill donations...Woman Frustrated

So @gardenman  if Cousins gets an extravagant anywhere near what he wants will this have an impact on Foles thinking I might as well jump into this QB game and grab the cash while the getting is good and demand a trade!!!   The Eagles might be able to cash in too on a trade........this is going to be a chain reaction around the league!  All because Bruce Allen is an idiot and didnt sign him for a reasonable amount when he had the chance.. @teganslaw  All NFL fans need to.join the #FIREBRUCEALLEN twitter topic! Smiley Wink

I loved this quote: 

"Washington has made it clear that it won't tag quarterback Kirk Cousins for a third straight yearproving that even dysfunction has its limits." Woman LOL 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to give this shout out to our hometown guy ....played both high school and college here and is expected to go in the first round of the draft..... A hometown performer, Davenport was a three-sport athlete at San Antonio's Stevens High School (football, basketball, sprinter for track and field). The tall and long-limbed edge defender got stronger throughout his career at UTSA.

UTSA DE Marcus Davenport is the apple of scouts’ eyes

Poor Marcus Davenport. The defensive end is expected to be a first-round pick, but his school creates confusion. A reporter asked him about playing at UTEP. He played at UTSA.  It is 551 miles from San Antonio, where Davenport played, to UTEP and El Paso.

“What motivates me is really when people say the wrong name. They say UTEP. I go to UTSA,” Davenport said.

“But yeah, that’s a little bit of motivation. I’ve always got a chip on my shoulder.”

Davenport made 185 tackles, 37.5 for loss, and 21.5 sacks in his four seasons. He also forced six fumbles. He has impressed scouts.

Davenport revealed the craziest question a team has asked, though he didn’t call out the team that asked him if he was a fruit, what kind of fruit would he be?

“I said an apple,” Davenport said. “Hey, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. I have to be healthy

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, I think the QB money will have Nick Foles wanting to become a starter and get a new contract. He'll make around $7 million this year with the Eagles, but he should be able get a new deal elsewhere paying $20-$25 million, maybe more. That’s a pretty big difference. He'll also likely get a big signing bonus. 

If Cousins signs with the Vikings, then Nick is probably the next best option for teams. Sam Bradford is good, but fragile. Case Keenum is a step below Nick. The rest are a step or two below Keenum.

The kids have a lot of potential, but you just never know how they'll respond and if you want to win now, you're better off with a vet.

I still think Nick is the perfect fit for Denver. Their offensive coordinator was the QB coach with Nick in 2014 in Philly. Everyone talks about how smart a guy Nick is, what a hard worker he is, and what a good leader he is. Their OC knows all of that from being around Nick. The Broncos can't count on a kid falling to them. I'm pretty sure three QB's will go before they're on the clock. Do they settle for the fourth best kid? The cost to move up and get a kid will be high. The Broncos want to win now. They need to  beat Tom Brady to reach the Super Bowl and Nick's proven he can do that. I'm the only voice I hear mentioning Denver as a trade partner, but the pieces really seem to fit. The Broncos have said they're trading Siemian, so a trade could have Siemian coming to Philly to compete with Sudfeld as the backup. 

I could see the Eagles sending pick 32 and Nick to Denver and getting back pick five, Siemian, and maybe a later pick or two. Denver gets a proven starting QB, retains a first round pick, while the Eagles get a viable two or three QB, a top five pick, and one or more later picks. It's very much a win-win situation.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Sending best wishes to you...keep us posted. I've written before that you have a very positive and upbeat outlook that always comes shining through ... along with your keen sense of humor. We are all hoping you will have a speedy recovery. Smiley Happy

@Spurt

I agree about Cousins! Just do not think he is worth that kind of $$$ or demands! Good grief... he chokes in almost all of the big, important games! It doesn't matter if you have good overall stats if you cannot follow through when it really counts! He has never won a single playoff game...and the team under his leadership has been to only one! I think the most telling was that last game of the 2016 season where he and the Redskins lost to Eli (who had nothing to play for)... the Redskins had to win that game to get into the playoffs and Cousins was simply dreadful. Personally, I think Case Keenum and Nick Foles are much better than Cousins! Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

As to Foles, if he wants to be a starter and make more $$$ then by all means, Howie Roseman should work like crazy to get him a good deal! And it should be with a team that has a good shot at giving Foles another crack at a Super Bowl....be it Minnesota, Arizona, Denver, etc.

Look what Foles did under the most extreme pressure!! Most of the sports' media and punditry were totally writing him off. Many fans were totally writing him off. But he came through in spectacular fashion....not just once, not just twice....but three times!! 

And he didn't just play adequately...he dazzled everyone and led the team in those two playoff wins and in the huge Super Bowl victory over Brady and Belichick! 

Also remember that not every QB in a Super Bowl is named the MVP...but Foles was!

So again, if anyone deserves big $$$ it is Foles!! If he wants it, he should get it!! But if he is happy and content to stay with the Eagles, then that would be absolutely fantastic for Philadelphia to have him on the roster!!!

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle

Sad to say a speedy recovery seems to be out of the question, but I'll bounce back. I always have. It's annoying me a tick as this is my favorite time of the year coming up and I won't be able to do the things I love to do, but there's not a lot I can do about it. 

I always adapt the attitude that it could be worse and there are people who would gladly trade places with me. I could have just five minutes left to live and someone who was down to their last 30 seconds would consider me lucky. There are always people worse off than I am, so I don't complain. (Well, not much anyway.)

Peggy Anderson wrote a really good book a long time ago about the Philadelphia Children's Hospital titled "Children's Hospital." It's a good book to read to remind you of how lucky you are no matter what you're going through. I've had a few hiccups in life, but some of those kids had a much harder time of things.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

@yellowBeetle

Sad to say a speedy recovery seems to be out of the question, but I'll bounce back. I always have. It's annoying me a tick as this is my favorite time of the year coming up and I won't be able to do the things I love to do, but there's not a lot I can do about it. 

I always adapt the attitude that it could be worse and there are people who would gladly trade places with me. I could have just five minutes left to live and someone who was down to their last 30 seconds would consider me lucky. There are always people worse off than I am, so I don't complain. (Well, not much anyway.)

Peggy Anderson wrote a really good book a long time ago about the Philadelphia Children's Hospital titled "Children's Hospital." It's a good book to read to remind you of how lucky you are no matter what you're going through. I've had a few hiccups in life, but some of those kids had a much harder time of things.

@gardenman

Thanks for the book mention...will look for it.Woman Happy 

I know from your previous post that it will not be as "speedy" a recovery as you had wished for, but I just truly hope you will be fully healed and back in your garden as quickly as possible! Woman Happy

When I open up the QVC forums each day, I always check the Sports first! Cannot tell you how much I have learned from your posts! I know I speak for everyone who reads your threads....thanks!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Peter King is reporting in his MMQB column that the Eagles already have one "respectable" trade offer for Nick Foles. That implies that someone has offered up at least a first round pick for Nick. (It could also be bait to try and lure more bidders into offering something for Nick.) We'll have to see what happens, but I expect to see Nick get moved.

I still think Denver is the most likely landing spot followed by Arizona. (Both Nick and his wife went to college in Arizona, so they're familiar with the area.) The Jets could be looking at him. Todd Bowles (the Jets head coach) was with the Eagles in 2012, so he may still have connections with the Philly front office and he spent 2012 (Nick's rookie season) in Philly. Nick was likely the scout team QB in 2012 going against Bowles defenders. Having a QB who has proven he can beat Tom Brady probably sounds good to Bowles.

Expect word of a trade to get out before the start of free agency. I'm guessing the asking price for Kirk Cousins has a lot of teams now looking for alternatives. A three year, $90 million deal, fully guaranteed, is pretty pricey. The Vikings don't seem to be flinching, but the Jets seem to be backing away. The Broncos just can't afford that price. The Cards seem to be out of the Cousins' race, so it looks like he's heading to Minnesota until proven otherwise. Someone else may jump into the hunt, but based on the posturing we're seeing now, it looks like Cousins will be a Viking.

If the Jets are the team with a "respectable " offer up for Nick, then it would likely include their first round pick which is sixth overall. That's not a bad pick to acquire. 

Teams are going to want to have their QB picture firmed up as soon as possible, and then decide whether they have to move up in the draft, can sit tight, or move down in the draft, to get the guy they want. The pricetag on Kirk Cousins has some teams looking elsewhere now and Nick is the next best option. Nick may even be viewed as a better option based on his most recent play.

I think the Eagles would love a bidding war to break out for Nick. Having multiple teams decide he's their guy would be ideal. Leaking out that they've got a "respectable" offer already is likely them trying to add fuel to the fire. The teams that really need a QB (roughly seven of them) all are likely looking at one another and trying to figure out who made the offer, what it could be, and wondering if they should counter? This week could be kind of interesting. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @yellowBeetle

First, at @yellowBeetle confirm what you said about @gardenman posts---enjoy them....

Kirk and his agent are pricing themselves out of the market....I wonder if he will be blackballed behind the scenes....Packers, Saints, Falcons are probably telling the teams in the race for Cousins please dont pay a lot for the guy do you know what you're going to do to the QB market? Or maybe teams with a long term QB in place are ROFL!!!..............

But I agree, I think Kirk is headed to Minnesota....Gee I was hoping the Redskins/Vikings would switch QBs Kirk would go to Vikes and Case would go to the Redskins....as you said @yellowBeetle  I think Case is better than Kirk....

I bet the offers for Foles will start rolling in as teams distance themselves from Kirk..............

So what are the Eagles going to do with Vinny Curry they cant afford his 9 mill base contract or 11 mill cap hit....It appears he would have to take less money to stay....since he has a Super Bowl ring coming he may opt to move on ...................

@teganslaw

So Chubb put up a good showing at the Combine....and he told the media  “I try to take Khalil Mack and  Von Miller and put them into one person,” Chubb said. “Khalil Mack’s the more powerful guy, probably the best long arm in the game right now. Von Miller’s the speed, finesse guy. Just try to put both of those together, have some power moves, have some speed moves that I go to.”

If he lives up to his own hype and the Colts pick him in the draft your gonna get a heck of a good player!