Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL New and Notes for March 2022!!!

Eric Fisher isn't resigning, he'll test the free agency market instead. They couldn't come up with a deal, and Indy never planned on tagging anyone. 

The Colts and Indy city officals are doing everything they can to keep the scouting combine in Indianapolis. The contract expired this year, so other cities will be bidding on hosting the combine. I hope it stays; Indianapolis is the perfect location: everything is connected and easily accessible.  U of Indiana health is close by, and is a leading provider of health care in Indiana. The only reason to move would be more money, which is a big factor with the NFL. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

And the Colts are now in the QB marketplace again while the Commanders now have Wentz. They seem to have exchanged second round picks this year with Washington giving this year's third round pick and a conditional second or third round pick next year. Not a bad price to give up. Kudos to Washington.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I hope Wentz does OK in Washington. It's not a bad trade; third and second round draft picks. If I read this correctly, Washington is covering his full salary? 

I'm wondering who the Colts have in mind for QB. The draft choices aren't as good as last year, and they have free agent choices. Jimmy G, Derek Carr, maybe DeShaun Watson? or go to Ehlinger? I have no idea. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

The hot rumor is that the Colts covet Marcus Mariota and plan on landing him. (Likely a deal already in place just not formalized.) We'll have to see, but that's the word on the NFL streets. The Colts can afford to outbid everyone else for him, so if he's who they want, they can snag him. We'll find out next week about this time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

There are reports that Amari Cooper and Dak Prescott had to be separated after their playoff loss. Amari reportedly called Dak "a black Kirk Cousins." Dak did not appreciate the comparison. This helps explain JJ's almost immediate talk of moving on from Amari Cooper after the game.

Back to the Wentz trade, the Colts reportedly fielded offers from Denver (before the Russell Wilson trade), the Bucs, and the Commanders. Washington originally were offering much less, then had to outbid the Bucs to land Wentz. We'll have to see what the Colts do going forward.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The original offer from the Commanders was reportedly a sixth and a fourth with the Colts picking up some of Wentz's salary. When the Bucs entered the bidding though the price escalated to what the Commanders finally paid. (Two thirds with the second one possibly becoming a second.) It'll be interesting to see if the Commanders let Wentz reach the 70% playing time to make the 2023 third-round pick a second-round pick or not. Some strategic benching through the season can keep him from hitting the 70% mark.

So, now what does Tampa do for a QB? Jimmy G? The Saints apparently want to keep Jameis Winston. I'm not sure they can win a bidding war for him though. Seattle has a wee bit of a hole at QB. They've got three, but all three are more third-string guys than real NFL starters. The Steelers are still looking at a bit of a void also.

I haven't heard much chatter about Gardner Minshew lately. I don't know if the Eagles have decided to keep him and use him as the backup and possibly push Hurts in training camp, or if they're open to moving him but just haven't seen a good enough deal.

We're getting lots of player movement with players being cut, traded, and retiring. It's been a busy week.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Commander fans on Hogs Haven aren't exactly wildly enthusiastic about the trade for Wentz. Most hate it. We'll have to see how they come around if/when Wentz plays well. For twelve weeks last year, Wentz was a top-five QB by all metrics of measuring QB play. In five games he was much worse than a top-five guy. His worst game was arguably his last game in Indy against the Jags. Getting a QB who can be among the best for much of the season for two third-round picks isn't bad. 

Wentz is something of a lightning rod. He draws criticism more than most players. I've never really understood it. He studies the game. Works hard. Sacrifices himself to make plays. He always takes responsibility for losses even when he's not responsible. Any mistake he makes gets amplified and his successes downgraded. The media goes into a feeding frenzy around him and seems intent on destroying him. 

At least three teams were involved in the bidding for him and they could have all signed a free agent (Mariota, Winston, Trubisky) for less money and given up no draft picks. Or they could have traded for Jimmy G for a similar cost. They all preferred Wentz over the other options, so that says he's not nearly as bad as some people/the media make him out to be.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Eric Fisher isn't resigning, he'll test the free agency market instead. They couldn't come up with a deal, and Indy never planned on tagging anyone. 

The Colts and Indy city officals are doing everything they can to keep the scouting combine in Indianapolis. The contract expired this year, so other cities will be bidding on hosting the combine. I hope it stays; Indianapolis is the perfect location: everything is connected and easily accessible.  U of Indiana health is close by, and is a leading provider of health care in Indiana. The only reason to move would be more money, which is a big factor with the NFL. 

@teganslaw 

It seems like the people that really use the info from the Combine (GMs, coaches, player personnel folks, all liked how everything is convenient in Indy....)  BUT the NFL is ignoring the practical and taking a clue from the NBA and having EVERYTHING in LA ..or in Jerry's World....its ridiculous!!!!  If these team owners were idiots and built these OVERLY EXTRAVAGANT TOO EXPENSIVE stadiums that's their fault they can try to recoup money with non-nrelated football events.....And then the sports leagues 3rd choice is NYC because of the TV market....Gee give the "small markets" something ....SMH! 

I read somewhere that Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones are working on some kind of "secret" project together...hmmmm I wonder if its about the combine...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

Gee, I had an extremely busy day with appointments, meetings, and an event I had to attend and didnt get even a minute to check out the NFL news and missed out on the Washington QB news....

Im happy with Wentz, I think he will fit in just fine with the coaches and the team....Rivera has the players focused together on the same goal and particular about players he chooses so I dont anticipate any locker room issues in Washington...Its nice having a REAL GM in Mayhew rather than Bruce Allen in charge and giving the farm away...

It will be interesting to see what Washington does for a backup, do they keep Heinicke or draft a project rookie QB....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

There are reports that Amari Cooper and Dak Prescott had to be separated after their playoff loss. Amari reportedly called Dak "a black Kirk Cousins." Dak did not appreciate the comparison. This helps explain JJ's almost immediate talk of moving on from Amari Cooper after the game.

Back to the Wentz trade, the Colts reportedly fielded offers from Denver (before the Russell Wilson trade), the Bucs, and the Commanders. Washington originally were offering much less, then had to outbid the Bucs to land Wentz. We'll have to see what the Colts do going forward.

@gardenman 

OMG!!!! WOW....what Cooper said....BUT that was an actual ACCURATE assement of Dak and Capt Kirk...🤣  As you said @gardenman  that explains Jerry's take on Cooper...LOL....I wonder if the Vikings caught Cooper's evaluation especially all the money the pay Kirk but with a QB shortage they will have to bite the bullet since there's still a lot of teams looking for a decent QB and little help from the draft...the Vikes are stuck with Capt Kirk and that cap hit!