Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL New and Notes for March 2022!!!

I like that Reich is defending Wentz. The owners don't need Reich to make them look bad; they can do that all by themselves. I'm not backing Irsay at all on the way they handled the situation with Wentz. I don't know how much of it was Ballard's doing, though it seems that Irsay had the last say. 

Jarvis Landry might be waiting on a new team for awhile. He fired his agent, and he wants a new contract, starting at 20 million per year. I don't know of any team wanting to pay that much for him. The Rams might,though, as they like to spend money and give up first round picks. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I like that Reich is defending Wentz. The owners don't need Reich to make them look bad; they can do that all by themselves. I'm not backing Irsay at all on the way they handled the situation with Wentz. I don't know how much of it was Ballard's doing, though it seems that Irsay had the last say. 

Jarvis Landry might be waiting on a new team for awhile. He fired his agent, and he wants a new contract, starting at 20 million per year. I don't know of any team wanting to pay that much for him. The Rams might,though, as they like to spend money and give up first round picks. 

@teganslaw 

Im glad someone besides Rivera and Washington are  sticking up for Wentz.(along with @gardenman )...In that game from 2019 on the NFL Network they showed him on the sidelines laughing and joking with teammmates, and he was mad at a bad call that was made on one of the defensive guys...so it didnt seem to me he was an isolationist (if thats a real word)....SMH!!!

And the same thing with Baker ---there were a couple of NFL analysts that actually defended him..(I saw nothing wrong with what he said on Twitter thanked the fans and organization--he was smart enough to read the handwriting on the wall that he wasnt wanted even before they announed that the Browns got Watson) .and it looks like some teams ARE interested in him, but its not being publicized until the time is right I guess.....🙄

Glad the Bills reached a Stadium agreement with Erie County NY....I would have hated to see that devoted fan base lose their team....But isnt it funny how Danny Snyder cant get a commitment from anyone in the DC/MD/VA area....

@gardenman 

What's up with those Giants I read they're being wishy washy about Daniel Jones..... that's one team I hope does NOT get Baker (would definitely make them better--LOL)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

As we expected Fox Sports has officially named Kevin Burkhardt as their number one NFL play by play guy (replacing JoeBuck) but they have not yet officially named anyone as the #1 NFL analyst  but people supsect it will be Greg Olsen..... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I hope Greg Olsen gets the job. He and Burkhardt make a good team. 

Mike Tirico is joining Cris Collinsworth on the SNF broadcast. Al Michaels was good, but I also like Tirico. 

Detroit will be the site for the 2024 NFL draft. This will help Detroit to overcome some of the bad publicity they've received in the past. Kansas City will hold the 2023 draft. 

MJ Acosta-Ruiz has been absent from NFL Total Access the past couple weeks. Analyst Mike Yam has been the host. I like Acosta-Ruiz and wonder how long she'll be off the show.

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

I like Olsen and Burkhardt

Yep, Tirico is a decent play by play guy....

Im glad Detroit got the 2024 NFL Draft the other candidates for that year were Green Bay and can you believe it Washington DC (perhaps the falling down Fed Ex Stadium killed the deal for Danny Snyder and Company....SMH!).....

Sorry I disagree with you about MJ she just gets on my nerves and so does that Rachel that does Game Day View and Fantasy Football on the NFL Network, she filled in for Kay today on GMF---😫  Rachel is always LOUD, obnoxious, and annoying! 😝.... Kay please hurry back!!!

You know who I wish they would give more air time  and take over that Total Access job----I really like Aditi Kinkhabwala---She has such a pleasant personality, knowledge, informative, knows her stuff, and is enthusiasic without being over the top.....and has a sense of humor...When she was interviewing QB prospect Kenny Pickett that her special "super power" was making everyone feel tall....(I didnt realize she was short---LOL)....I do like Cynthia Frelund, and Colleen Wolfe (even though she's an Eagle's fan 😄).....and I miss Stacey Dales...... And I do enjoy the handsome dudes on all the Networks ....😉

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I think the issue with the Giants and Daniel Jones is the opposite of the Wentz/Irsay issue. The Giants' owners seem to love Daniel Jones more than their football people do. The new GM and coaches have had a chance to really dig into Jones and his relationship with the team. I suspect that the more they see, the less enthused they are about Daniel Jones. With two high first-round picks, the Giants could grab one of the kid QBs. I suspect the GM and coaches are leaning that way now. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Here's the coaches photo from the NFL March 2022 League Meeting....funny comment from a Chiefs fan doing a take off from a famous movie line (no one puts baby in the corner) ......"no one should put Andy Reid on the back row...no one"......They said that Doug Pederson and Frank Reich are on the back row together discussing Carson Wentz....Everyone is making fun of Coach Rhule's pose photo and the Dolphin's Coach Mike McDaniel wearing a see through shirt with a tank top underneath 

Belichick skipped the photo session and as reported McCarthy aint there either.....and neither are Bruce Arians and Dan Campbell

@gardenman Is that your coach on the right side of my coach?....

FO8rSevXwAM1FIl.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I'm not sure where Nick is in that photo. He could the be guy in black behind Rivera or the guy on the far, far left behind Harbaugh.

HBO's Hard Knock is covering the Lions this year. NFL.com has an article titled, "Five storylines to look forward to," and they don't even mention Christen Harper once. Hello! She'd be items one through four for me. If they want to get male viewers, they should rename it "The Christen Harper Show!" featuring an occasional Lion player. It would get much higher viewer numbers. 

I'm kind of surprised they picked the Lions. You've got Russell Wilson in Denver. Kind of a big storyline there. Deshaun Watson in Cleveland. All kinds of interesting stuff to cover there. Baker Mayfield going wherever Baker Mayfield goes. That will likely get decided during the league meetings this week. Team execs tend to meet up quietly at such events and work out deals. Draft trades are likely being discussed and preliminarily hammered out also. Seattle without Russell Wilson would be interesting. The Giants have a new coaching staff and are in NYC. Why Detroit? Did someone at HBO lose a bet and that's what they were forced to do? Detroit?

JJ is spinning the Amari Cooper trade like crazy. "We made a decision that that allocation could be better spent." Yeah, you'd rather pay someone who didn't call your QB a black Kirk Cousins. Perfectly understandable. I think we should rename Dak as BKC (Black Kirk Cousins.) We could make up t-shirts, have a BKC tailgate before each game. Make posters and banners. It could be fun! He's such a good sport, I'm sure it wouldn't bother him. It's not like he almost threw punches with his star receiver or anything and the two had to be physically separated. Nah! He'd laugh and laugh. He'd love it!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"The Christen Harper show": the men would like that, but it wouldn't make any difference to me. She probably will appear a few times on the show. 

I wonder what Kirk Cousins thinks about Cooper calling Dak a "black Kirk Cousins." Insulted or doesn't really matter to him? 

The Colts hired John Fox as senior defensive assistant. He won two Super Bowls as head coach, so this might work. 

I also like Aditi Kinkhabwala and think she should have a larger role on Total Access. Stacey Dales did a good job reporting from the Combine. Not a fan of Kay Adams. For some reason I can't determine, she annoys me. It might be her voice or just the way she acts on GMF the couple times I've seen that program. Not familiar with Rachel, who Spurt doesn't  like. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I like John Fox, but hiring too many "special assistants" can get a team into trouble. We saw that with the Eagles in 2020. They hired three offensive special assistants in Marty Mornhinweg, Rich Scangarello, and Andrew Breiner. We still had Doug as the OC, Press Taylor as the passing game coordinator, Jeff Stoutland as the run game coordinator. And lots of other offensive coaches. The offense wasn't cohesive as each week it seemed like a different person was given more input. You want everyone to move together and work as a unit, and that wasn't happening. 

There were just too many voices wanting different things with no cohesion. You need a leader and just one leader. The saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth" applies to the NFL also.

It's a tricky spot for the coach coming in also. The "special assistants" are often foisted on the current staff and are expected to report back to the GM or team owner. It's something of a minefield for everyone involved. If you're the current DC, you're going to be looking over your shoulder at John Fox all the time. If you know he was imposed on the staff, then you know the GM/owner doesn't trust you to handle the defense. If the head coach made the hire, it implies he feels you're not up to the job. If there's a situation where the DC and John Fox disagree on an issue, who wins? 

Adding veteran head coaches as "special assistants" seldom delivers the desired results. Egos get dinged. Personalities clash. Division erupts. It's generally more destructive than constructive. It sounds good in principle, but in reality, it seldom works out well.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!