Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL New and Notes for March 2022!!!

Zach Pascal is a good blocker and slot receiver. He should do well with the Eagles. 

Jonathan Taylor liked Wentz and was disappointed that things didn't work out for him in Indy. 

The Colts might draft a QB. They also need a WR and defensive players. I don't know what direction they plan on going. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I'm intrigued to see how Progressive Insurance handles the Baker Mayfield commercials. They were all largely based on Baker living at the Browns stadium with his wife. The old commercials are largely useless now, so will they shoot new ones with him and his wife moving, settling into a new stadium at his new team? Will they go in a different direction? Will they just keep reusing the old ones even though they're not current? This transition gives the creative team at Progressive some fun stuff to work with.

The Cowboys letting La'el Collins wander off could end up costing them quite a bit. Terence Steele is a step down from La'el Collins and there's not a lot behind Steele if he or Tyron Smith get injured. Ty Nseke is their only other experienced tackle and he's still an unsigned free agent. At some point one of those guys will get dinged and who replaces them to protect Dak? Do you drop in a rookie and hope for the best? The Cowboys need to find a good backup tackle. Maybe two or three.

@gardenman 

Yes, I liked Baker's Progressive Commercials living at the stadium, it shows he has a sense of humor...I hope he can find a good team.....He's a decent QB....

Oh those Cowboy fans, it seems they let Randy Gregroy have it on Twitter for switching teams....and Gregory called the Cowboy fans "a toxic fan base".....

Interesting discussion on Fox Sports 1 between former Bronco Shannon Sharpe and Avid Cowboy Fan Skip Brainless....err Bayless.... Sharpe outlined the Cowboys story how Jerry Jones revs up the fan base every year since 1996 by telling them "it's the Cowboy's year for the Super Bowl", when nothing is further from the truth.....Jerry overpaid Zeke and Dak and it cost him no cap space and then they had to get rid of players that were valuable to the team and left them in a worse position than last year, but Jerry and the fans aren't realistic in their expectations..He said the fans should leave Gregory alone and pick on JERRY---AMEN SHANNON AMEN!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

For your Thursday Night Football AL MICHAELS has agreed to a deal with Amazon, he will be joined as was previously announced with Kirk Herbstreit  Michaels will continue to work some NBC games, including NBC playoff games...............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And the great QB shuffle of 2022 is winding down. We're now at two teams (more or less) who need a QB (Seattle, and Carolina) with two QBs still in play (Jimmy G and Baker Mayfield.) Mariota has signed on with Atlanta. Winston with the Saints. So, who gets Mayfield, and who gets Jimmy G? Or will yet another team surprise us and move a veteran QB instead?

Who won the QB derby? That's hard to say. The Browns got the most talented of the group in Watson, but he's got more than a little baggage and they paid a lot to get him. Is he vastly better than Baker Mayfield? Probably not. And he's facing a likely six-game suspension. I think the Broncos have the most improved situation. Going from Teddy Bridgewater to Russell Wilson is kind of a big jump. Next up might be the Commanders getting Wentz. When the Panthers finally get a QB (Jimmy G or Mayfield) they could take over that spot. The Saints came out about even since they had Winston and now have him back.

Who lost ground? The Seahawks came out losers simply because no one is as good as Russell Wilson. When you lose a guy like that, you take a step back. I think the Colts and Falcons both lost on their deal. Matt Ryan hasn't looked right for a bit, and the Falcons ate $40+ million in dead cap and only took a third-round pick to move him. I think they know he's toast. Indy had to do something though. You can't play without a QB and Ryan came cheap to them at just the third-round pick and he has a pedigree. They'll be looking to draft a kid though either this year or next. The Falcons get to dust off Marcus Mariota for two years to see if he's still able to play.

Where will the last two guys land? I don't think the Niners would want to trade Jimmy G to a division rival in the Seahawks. They are likely putting the "For Sale, Cheap!" sign on Jimmy G for the Panthers. This puts the Panthers in a good negotiating spot as they can seriously lowball the Niners to get Jimmy G. "Well, we've been thinking, and we've got a spare sixth-round pick we'd be willing to part with." The Niners were reportedly asking for a first-round pick for Jimmy G. With just one team to trade with, they won't get a first-round pick for him.

When there's only one team you're dealing with, you lose leverage. For better or worse, most teams now have a QB in place and Seattle and Carolina are pretty much all that's left. When you don't want to trade your guy to a division rival, then things get complicated for the Niners. They may just end up keeping Jimmy G as an insurance policy.

Life's a bit easier for the Browns trying to move Baker Mayfield. Two NFC teams are all that remain in the QB shuffle so they can send him to either place. I think he's a good fit in Seattle as a Russell Wilson Jr. type. 

The Steelers went from Roethlisberger to some combination of Haskins/Trubisky/Rudolph. That's a downgrade for them. It'll be interesting to see which of the three emerges as the starter. Rudolph knows the system the best but is probably the least talented of the trio. Haskins may have the most untapped talent, but tapping it hasn't proven easy. Trubisky is talented but erratic.

I think the Eagles won by not doing anything. Largely helped by the fact that neither Wilson nor Watson would waive their no-trade clause to come to Philly. They'd have taken on either one had they been willing, but no. I think making no move was the smarter move there.

And speaking of the Eagles, the Zach Pascal signing was highly predictable. He's a Nick Sirianni guy. Nick loves him from their time together in Indy.  He mentioned him way back when he was hired as the kind of player Nick wanted for the Eagles. He's used Pascal's film as a teaching tool for the Eagles' WRs. It'll be interesting to see how he does this year. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @teganslaw 

I know Ive probably beaten this topic to death,  but one more interesting fact about Wentz and Washington....Ron Rivera even spent half a day with St. Joe Gibbs and picked his brain and talked about the QB options (as you know Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs and skill sets).....and they watched film together....

Washington explored every option, @teganslaw including asking Andrew Luck if he thought about unretiring and returning to the NFL.....After reviewing that Eagles/Redskin game (what a heartbreak seeing the old logo and mascot) but anyway, Wentz pulled out a win and did some nice things---couple of bad passes, but even Tom Brady has a few of those in his repertoire.....

What slays me is how GMF stuck up for Trub and defended his performances while dissing Wentz....🙄

Okay Im done on that topic for now anyway......we will see what transpires when the season starts 

I feel sorry for Baker his choices are Seahawks or the Panthers, or the Lions might give him a shot.....(even though Goff has the HOT girlfriend 🙄).......

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Wentz is a lightning rod for media and fan criticism. It's interesting to watch. He's this "Aw, shucks," country boy who loves to hunt, fish and be outdoors. He's got a wife he adores and a couple of kids. He's deeply religious. He's a very good QB, but any mistake he makes gets amplified beyond belief. He never blames anyone for a loss but himself. He never takes the credit for a win but calls them team wins. He's the perfect teammate and a good leader. And people hate him for it. It's weird. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

IMO the Falcons have lost more than the Colts in this deal. There was an article written on one of the Colts' websites about Ryan. According to the article, Ryan has mobility to move around in the pocket, can keep his head above to deliver deep, accurate passes. He will also work with a better O-line than when he was in Atlanta. The idea that Ryan's career is ending is greatly exaggerated. We'll see how this works out on the field.

The Colts are interested in Tyrann Mathieu and are looking into Julio Jones. That isn't surprising, as Jones and Ryan have a connection. Brady also is recruiting Jones, so not sure what will happen. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

UTSA Roadrunners are participating in their NFL Pro Day 3/23.....Supposed to be a beautiful day sunny 72 degrees....I wonder if the  scouts will hit the bars at the Riverwalk afterwards...😄

BEEP BEEP----

Road Runner cartoons machine embroidery design for instant download

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Wentz is a lightning rod for media and fan criticism. It's interesting to watch. He's this "Aw, shucks," country boy who loves to hunt, fish and be outdoors. He's got a wife he adores and a couple of kids. He's deeply religious. He's a very good QB, but any mistake he makes gets amplified beyond belief. He never blames anyone for a loss but himself. He never takes the credit for a win but calls them team wins. He's the perfect teammate and a good leader. And people hate him for it. It's weird. 

@gardenman 

It is weird---Maybe his persona is a "goody two shoes" 🙄and media prefers the "wild crowd" perhaps the media lives vicariously through them  ....In that game from 2019 he was laughing and talking to his teammates after a TD on the sidelines, and when there was a "dirty" defensive play on Ertz he was mad about the play and expressed his disgust.....yet he's a "bad" teammate...go figure....🙄

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Did y'all fellow feline fanciers see MJD and his cat on GMF on Monday.....????  Beautiful cat!!!

1KVUCYfK_400x400.jpg