Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL NEWS AND NOTES FOR AUGUST 2018

The Browns seem interested in getting Dez Bryant. He's visited several teams, but the Browns are the front runners right now. 

Jason Garrett isn't concerned about the Cowboys' passing game (or lack of). GMF had a tape of him, and he mentioned that it's a work in progress, and the defense is doing well. The Colts play the NFC East, so Dak can keep the pattern of not throwing touchdowns when they face the Colts. Woman LOL

Pete Schraeger on GMF is excited about seeing Jason Witten in the broadcast booth on MNF. Witten knows a lot of football, and should fit right in. I think he'll do well. 

The Raiders released their kicker and signed Mike Nugent. I have a feeling that the team will go downhill this year, and that Jon Gruden isn't going to help much. It's just a theory I have. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong, but I think that Gruden was overpaid and might regret leaving the broadcast booth. Have to wait and see how that turns out. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I'm not a big Gruden fan. He strikes me as the type of coach players will tire of quickly.

Dallas has potential to be a trainwreck this year. How is it even possible to be two weeks into training camp and your starting qb hasn't thrown a touchdown? I think they'll miss Witten a ton.

Dez will end up someplace and likely perform okay, but the staff will need to design their gameplan around his strengths. He's a big, physical receiver. He's never going to be open, but he'll catch his share of contested balls. You need a qb who's willing to let him make the play. I'd like to see him in Green Bay working with Aaron Rodgers. Those two could be special together.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @gardenman @yellowBeetle

Dak is really missing his safety net, Jason Witten...I think Dez was losing a step and was ineffective...WR Gallup has shown flashes, but thats expecting a lot from a round 3 rookie.........

Also what about the Cowboy defense too...if Sean Lee gets hurt, as he always does, their D seems to go downhill.... I think Don Harris is right about his prediction for the Cowboys....

One thing I think is strange when the media is talking to the Cowboys its Sean Lee who is providing the leadership and viewed as the true leader of the team....and NOT Dak!!!  

I hope Witten does as good as Tony Romo has been...Romo just provided a fresh approach as an analyst instead of all the old cliches.....I hope Witten is as good as Romo.  Now I'm not very impressed with retired Cowboy Moose Johnston....

Speaking of Moose I wonder if he's keeping his Fox job as analyst since he's going to be the GM of our SA Team of the Alliance Of American Football League....(its supposed to be a spring league).....Rumor is if they grabbed Johnny Manziel as QB it would help to sell tickets....but Johnny didnt have a very good outing with the CFL  Montreal team...but gee they were the WORST team in the CFL (only have one win in 7 games) and he didnt get much practice....he had 4 INTS and was 11-20 for 104 yds....he seems to be on par with Dak in camp....Woman LOL

@teganslaw

Luck hasnt played football in 19 months and he threw a TD (and Dak couldn't)...... It was reported that Andrew was all smiles after practice and said it had been a beautiul day, and I laughed when it was reported that Andrew said, "My arms still attached to my shoulder, so it's gonna be okay".....(.GOTTA LOVE THAT COMMENT--LOL)  He said his arm felt good---and thats great news for the Colts!!! 

Who is you favorite for the Colt's starting RB???

@yellowBeetle @gardenman

One of the Eagles critical areas is going to be nickel cornerback, with Patrick Robinson going to the Saints, and the Eagles with an extra corner on the field 70% of the time, this is going to be a key for the Eagles defense....Jones and Bausby have been splitting time in camp.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

Read that the drought is finally over for struggling Dak ... he finally threw a TD on Sunday ... and then followed it up with a couple more yesterday!Woman Happy

Speaking of TDs, saw that Wentz practiced today and looked good throwing a few TD passes. Sudfeld, though, was not as sharp, missing an easy TD to Ertz. Consistency has been an issue for him, but hopefully he will keep improving.

Jones per the latest reports seems to have the edge over Bausby ... but it see-saws back and forth ... they both look good. 

I hope Witten does well, too. Romo is such a natural ... love hearing him call games!

Honored Contributor

The Eagles are eyeball deep in good young corners. We've got about eight who could start in the league. Darby and Mills seem to have the starting spots nailed down, but then you've got Sydney Jones and Rasul Douglas backing them up, Bausby and more kids behind them. Don't be shocked to see the Eagles trade a kid or two away as camp goes on. The same is true for defensive end. Josh Sweat and Joe Ostman have been impressive rookies and Steven Means has been flashing all over the field. The depth on the Eagles is kind of ridiculous this year. We're three and four deep at nearly every roster spot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, my favorite for Colts rb is Robert Turbin. He's not flashy, but is a solid runner and does well in pass protection. He's already proven himself. However, he's been suspended four games for PEDS substance abuse. He realized his mistake and has apologized for it. Most likely won't happen again. 

Since Turbin will be out, one name to watch for is fourth round draft pick, Nyheim Hines. Scouts have praised his talents, and the Colts staff is high on him. 

Marlon Mack seems to be boom or bust. He was injured, but will be ready for the season. I'm expecting him to eventually have a break out year. 

Reich will be going with a "committee" rb system rather than rely on just one player. So don't expect the same person to play every time. Several will have a chance to prove themselves. 

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Did anyone watch the HOF ceremonies? I saw highlights of them online afterwards. Some of the speeches are interesting. 

@Preseason starts next week. The Colts first game is Thursday @ Seattle. The game starts at 10:00 p.m., which I don't like. Luck might play a quarter in that game, but not much longer. 

I'm ready for the season; just ordered an Andrew Luck shirt from NFL shop. Some of my other Colts attire is getting worn out, so it's time for new. 

I watched some of the HOF and I agree with others here, Urlacher had the most touching speech, his children are beautiful!

Lions first pre-season game is Friday in Oakland, we play at 10:30 eastern time, but I live in OK so it will be 9:30 here.  We will take a nap Friday after work to be able to watch at least most of the game, that is how excited we are for football!!!

I have watched the replay of the Bears/Ravens game like 212 times this week, just to have football on my TV!!  I am usually doing chores and such, but I love it on in the background!!!

SO READY FOR FOOTBALL!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

I'm glad you guys are so concerned about the Cowboys, because I'm not!

Honored Contributor

Game day! Expect to see Philly (formerly Dallas) Goedert make some big plays. The reporters covering camp have been impressed by him. He's got an insane catch radius and incredible hands. I don't think he'll be on the field long, but he'll make an impact while on the field. We won't see much, if any, of the starting wide receivers. Expect the running backs to be rotated a lot. It'll be good to see football again.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Andrew Luck will play the first quarter tonight. Every move he makes will be closely watched, and any mistakes he makes analyzed. Even though it's preseason, this is important to Luck. 

The Colts never do well in preseason, so it doesn't matter to me if they lose this game. I just want to see Luck back in action and have no injuries. 

Mark Twain