Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL NEWS AND NOTES FOR AUGUST 2018

Did anyone watch the HOF ceremonies? I saw highlights of them online afterwards. Some of the speeches are interesting. 

Preseason starts next week. The Colts first game is Thursday @ Seattle. The game starts at 10:00 p.m., which I don't like. Luck might play a quarter in that game, but not much longer. 

I'm ready for the season; just ordered an Andrew Luck shirt from NFL shop. Some of my other Colts attire is getting worn out, so it's time for new. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

Yes I did watch the HOF ceremonies with some friends. 

Robert Brazile had the shortest speech ever-he cut to the chase and got right to the point, it was still a nice speech......I remember Robert's playing days we went to a lot of Oiler games in Houston in the 80's........

Bobby Bethard's speech was weird it was like it was pre-taped in his home for some odd reason ----I didnt hear why---he was fully capable of talking since he did that pre-ceremony the day before, it was a nice speech....And of course it was FANTASTIC that he chose dear Joe Gibbs as his presenter.....and Joe was by Bobby's side guiding him where to go......

I really enjoyed Jerry Kramer's speech he really took everyone back to the early days of the Packers and told some great stories especially about Vince Lombardi!  I think it was my favorite because he was such a good story teller and sharp as a tack....

They showed that Partriots owner, Robert Kraft and Belichick made a surprise appearance for Randy Moss's enshirement....but when Robert Kraft was introduced and later on when Randy acknowledged Belichick in his speech and thanked him for his encouragement---the HOF fans crowd booed....I think the Patriots have to be the most hated opponent in the NFL....LOL (or maybe it was just the Eagle and Raven fans in attendance)....Randy's speech was fiery......

Brian Urlacher's speech was the most emotional especially when he spoke about his mom who is deceased......

Of course Ray Lewis was Ray---he urged all the HOFers to make a difference in the world....it was great when he and Ogden did their Raven dance......and he talked about loving his kids, and how his dad never showed him love and how he makes sure his kids know it and how he even kisses them on the mouth (even though his kids are pretty well grown)---the kids shook their heads in denial about that --LOL!!!  

Of course they had to show T.O. little ceremony from Chattanooga where he said it wasnt the wait, it was the HOF fame writers not obeying the rules/the mission....I think he backed down on what was originally said because look how long Jerry Kramer and Robert Brazile waited --- so he looked like a fool when it came out he was mad he didnt get in on the first ballot.....What a JERK!

Other thoughts---- anyone........?????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

I always order a new shirt to begin a new season....Im staying away from individual player t-shirts/jerseys because it seems the players I chose dont stay with the team, they retire, get traded, or get cut etc etc........so I give up.....generic stuff for me....Woman LOL

WOW Colts game at 10PM---boy that's late!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, I read that Bobby Beathard has some form of dementia, possibly the early stages of alzheimer's. That's the reason his speech was taped ahead of time. It's good that he made it to the ceremony. 

SF qb, C.J. Beathard is his grandson. I never connected that until just recently.

I don't know what to make of Owens. He had the records and is talented, but his personality is off setting, to say the least. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

TO is not a spotlight sharer. If he was the only inductee and all the attention was on him, he'd have gone to Canton. With other, arguably bigger names also there, TO said forget it.

Interesting. Word out of Cowboy camp is that Dak Prescott hasn't thrown a single TD as of yet. That's kind of hard to do. He may be really missing Witten and Dez.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

SPURT, I read that Bobby Beathard has some form of dementia, possibly the early stages of alzheimer's. That's the reason his speech was taped ahead of time. It's good that he made it to the ceremony. 

SF qb, C.J. Beathard is his grandson. I never connected that until just recently.

I don't know what to make of Owens. He had the records and is talented, but his personality is off setting, to say the least. 

@teganslaw

Thanks for clarifying that about Bobby Beathard.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

TO is not a spotlight sharer. If he was the only inductee and all the attention was on him, he'd have gone to Canton. With other, arguably bigger names also there, TO said forget it.

Interesting. Word out of Cowboy camp is that Dak Prescott hasn't thrown a single TD as of yet. That's kind of hard to do. He may be really missing Witten and Dez.

@gardenman

Our honest local guys here said the same thing....and they said if Prescott continues to struggle the Cowboys are going to be in trouble....They can't just handoff the ball to Zeke and throwa couple of dink passes to Beasley....Teams will certainly be able to shut them down with such a limited game plan....LOL!!!

But of course in little D there are obvious homers---this one was downright laughable:

Jon Machota: Dak’s been solid. He’s throwing to several new receivers, so there’s going to be some growing pains. But he hasn’t done anything to prevent me from thinking he’s going to have a good year. I’ve always thought he’s at his best when the pocket is collapsing and he has to adjust on the fly. There’s not a lot of that in a training camp setting. If you remember back to his rookie camp, there were days when Jameill Showers looked like the better quarterback in practice. Dak has had some nice throws from the pocket. He appears to be developing a good deep-ball connection with Tavon Austin. This offense must have that to keep opponents thinking it’s a possibility on any play. If their passing offense is only 15-yard-or-less throws, defenses are going to shut them down. Cole Beasley has been Dak’s favorite target, but his rapport with Austin, Allen Hurns, Michael Gallup, Lance Lenoir and Deonte Thompson looks to be growing by the day.

EXCUSE ME MR.MACHOTA--- Alex Smith is also adjusting to new WRs and he's gotten glowing reports.....Dak is showing what he is ... a lower tier QB.......

Honored Contributor

How can you go through this much training camp and not throw a touchdown? They have redzone drills just for scoring touchdowns. The starting offense is typically going against the second, third, or fourth team defense. I just don't know how you can go this long without throwing one even if just by mistake. Joe Callahan the Eagles fourth string qb has thrown multiple touchdown passes. I just found that an amazing stat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

How can you go through this much training camp and not throw a touchdown? They have redzone drills just for scoring touchdowns. The starting offense is typically going against the second, third, or fourth team defense. I just don't know how you can go this long without throwing one even if just by mistake. Joe Callahan the Eagles fourth string qb has thrown multiple touchdown passes. I just found that an amazing stat.

@gardenman

Your right! He can't throw one TD arent they working on certain schemes???? Things aren't looking too good for the Cowboys right now, and let's hope it continues Smiley Wink 

Our top Sportscaster here predicts 7-9 or 8-8 for the Cowboys.....

So GARDEMAN, and @yellowBeetle I bet your both happy the Eagles locked up Pederson and Roseman with extensions .......

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt

Hi there! Yes that is fantastic about both Pederson and Roseman being under contract through the 2022 season!!Woman Happy

On the PhiladelphiaEagles.com site where they talked lots about Roseman and Pederson and their contracts,  they are giving Pederson lots of praise for guiding Foles in those three postseason games. Not only was Foles MVP of the Super Bowl, but in those two playoff games combined with the Super Bowl, Foles came away with the highest completion rate ever in NFL single-postseason history with a 72.6% completion rate! Pederson has a knack for drawing out the very best in his team. So happy to have him locked in! 

(Btw, as to poor Dak Prescott, maybe those successful two seasons of his will prove to be anomalies. Time will tell, but these reports you are mentioning do not sound good! Edited to add I looked up to see how he was ranked overall last season and his stats put in him in 4th place, behind Wentz, Keenum, and Brady. I knew he had done exceptionally well in his first season but had to look up last season.)