Honored Contributor

Re: NFL NEWS AND NOTES FOR AUGUST 2018

@brandiwine wrote:

Here's to a HEALTHY season for all the players.  So good to see the Texans have everyone back and healthy.  Nice to see Big Ben in such great shape in camp.  Loved his son throwing the ball to Antonio Brown's little guy.  Go STEELERS!

@brandiwine

I hope JJ Watt can stay healthy and has a great season! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

The Colts are bound to improve with Andrew Luck back and the good draft picks. (Barring any injuries;  hope not.) 

How can the Jags improve much? Their defense is one of the best in the NFL, and they went to the playoffs last year. Almost pulled out a win against NE.Unless the insiders are referring to the quarterback situation? 

I'm looking forward to the HOF game. Baltimore is favored by 2.5 points. Flacco won't be playing, so we'll get to see how how Lamar Jackson and RG111 do. I don't  know who will be starting, though. 

@teganslaw

I think they saw some improvement in Bortles last season and are looking for him to carry that improvement into this season....

I'm with you  @teganslaw and @yellowBeetle cant wait to see tonights game, I dont care if its only a preseason game...I WANNA SEE SOME FOOTBALL!!!.........I think I heard the Ravens are starting RGIII....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

We finally made it!!!  I will take a meaningless pre season game any day of the week!!!

GO LIONS!!!  

@redwingsgal

Me too REDWINSGAL Me too!!!  

So how do you like your new coach so far?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well another day, another injury for my Redskins....its WR Doctson....its his shoulder but they say its not serious....Woman Frustrated

The NFL Network was in Richmond, VA for Redskins Camp....and Charlie Casserly started it off by singing the Redskins Fight Song.....Good ole Charlie, Snyder shouldve kept him and fired Norv Turner...It was funny it looked like the network came out of a break a little too soon, witnessing Charlie stuffing pizza into his face...and he immediately hid the pizza box....Woman LOL   Gee I wonder if it was Papa John's or Pizza Hut--LOL!!!

They gave our O line and Alex Smith some love...optimistic about the running game and offense if Reed can stay healthy....The concern was in the secondary opposite Josh Norman .....they dont think former Cowboy Orlando Scandrick is the answer....The Redskins will really miss Fuller (who they had to give up in the trade for Alex Smith)......Charlie Casserly said he likes Fabian Moreau, he is a raw talent but has the skills, Dunbar is also an option.....

Trusted Contributor

Did not watch most of the game last night but in the little I saw I thought that both RGIII and Lamar Jackson looked sharp. Al Michaels and Cris Collingsworth seemed impressed.

The Super Bowl is six months from today so I'm going to give two totally meaningless thoughts about it ... one as to which teams I wish would be in the Super Bowl and the other as to who I think will actually be in it!!Woman Happy

First I wish that the Eagles would meet the Ravens next February!! It is so rare, though, for teams to immediately repeat Super Bowl appearances that honestly I doubt it will happen for the Eagles, even though they are as talented as ever! And the Ravens are our fave AFC team, so always am hoping they will do well!!

But I predict that the 53rd Super Bowl on February 3, 2019 will have the SF 49ers go up against the Jacksonville Jaguars! Garoppolo and SF were on fire the latter part of last season and I think they could have a surprisingly phenomenal year. Jacksonville looked really fantastic in 2018. And I will go out even farther on that very wobbly limb and say that SF will win the Super Bowl!Woman Happy

( I do wish, though, that the Eagles will be as dazzling as ever and do a repeat of last year!!Woman Happy)

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@redwingsgal wrote:

We finally made it!!!  I will take a meaningless pre season game any day of the week!!!

GO LIONS!!!  

@redwingsgal

Me too REDWINSGAL Me too!!!  

So how do you like your new coach so far?

So excited to see what he brings to the team.. He has signed all the players I was hoping for and a couple that played with him before.  I cannot wait!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Doug Pederson has just about had it with the Philly media. Everyday they're interrogating him about Wentz and nothing Doug says seems to matter. The Eagles have a plan and they're following that plan, but the local media isn't happy with the plan. They want to know more. (Hint: Carson's at every practice, moving well, no ice on his bad knee, and is happy, so he's doing fine.)

One of the early, unexpected stars at Eagles camp has been our sixth round offensive lineman Matt Pryor (plays both guard and tackle) and has even managed to keep Michael Bennett at bay. The kid is huge (6'-7" and 330+ lbs.) No one expected much from him, but he's likely earning a roster spot. He won't be a starter this year, but he's been very effective when given the chance.

The depth at wide receiver and running back looks good and even the linebacker situation looks pretty good for now. Two of the rookie defensive ends (Josh Sweat and Joe Ostman) have been getting praise also. If one or both of those guys makes the roster you could see a bigger name vet get moved. The Eagles will be needing cap space next year and defensive ends tend to be pricey, so if you can replace a pricey vet with a cheap rookie it's a good move.

Nate Sudfeld continues to impress observers. Everyone's anxious to see what he does in the preseason games. All in all things look promising in Philly right now.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Gardenman, that sounds like the typical media. The same thing is going on with the Colts. Recently LaCanfora implied that something must be wrong since Andrew Luck wasn't practicing Thursday. That was Luck's scheduled day off, but he made it sound like Luck wasn't doing well. It gets frustrating because the media tries to make stories where there aren't any. 

I think that Lamar Jackson was impressive in his debut. He made mistakes, but seemed comfortable rushing the football. Also, some Bears fans I know like Nagy and feel that he will do a good job. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

That Andy Reid coaching tree has been very, very successful. Chances are Nagy will be good also. The Belichick coaching tree has been bad, but Andy's guys generally do well.

Lamar Jackson's big issue is survival. If they give him a year or two to get bigger and stronger, he could excel. I'm just not sure he could survive a sixteen game regular season with his current build. Focus him on the strength and conditioning side of football and he could be special.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Doug Pederson needs to take the Belichick and Popovich approach to the media.....LOL!!!! The media is trying to create a QB controversey, even if there isn't one...... @teganslaw  the same with Colts and Luck..he can't take a day off or if he moves a certain way the media is going to question it..............

One of the things that's evident in Redskin training camp is how much Alex Smith and Colt McCoy keep plays alive. It forces the receivers to run their routes hard, even if they're not involved in the play. They don't know when Smith or McCoy will escape the pocket so if the receivers aren't prepared to react, then they'll be left out. Conversely, there have been numerous examples of them getting the ball because they are ready.  Good showing by WR's---Richardson, Quick, Harris, Davis, Quinn....It's going to be a difficult decision as to who will make the cut....Hmmmm wonder if its due to the new QB?????

Quote of the day: Former Redskins defensive back DeAngelo Hall, who made his official retirement announcement Wednesday, took a jab at former Chicago QB Jay Cutler. He once intercepted him four times in a game. "If I'd played against Jay Cutler more, I'd be in the Hall of Fame."