Honored Contributor

NFL NEWS AND NOTES FOR AUGUST 2018

@gardenman

It looks like the Redskins and Eagles are going to be going with similar offenses......

Quote of the day: RT Morgan Moses on QB Alex Smith: "You can just tell by the three days, four days we've been on the field, how much the playbook has grown. He's just not a thrower, he can run, you have to respect his run, we got a little bit of option stuff coming in. It helps us all out as an offense and as a defense because the Eagles run similar plays with Carson Wentz and so they get a guy on our team that they see that every day."

RB Derrius Guice has drawn praise from coaches for how he is in the meeting room, with running backs coach Randy Jordan saying he asks questions to get answers -- not just to ask them. On the field, Guice worked in pass protection drills and showed his aggressive nature. But the coaches say they want to make sure he doesn't overcommit and lose leverage on his man. For him it's about perfecting technique, not want-to.

@sunshine45

Oh Oh many are speculating that the Ravens are the favorites to land WR Dez Bryant?.........thoughts????

I bet your excited to see your Ravens in action on Thursday!!! (I Cant wait for the NFL to begin preseason game and I just wanna see football Woman Very Happy)

The six teams insiders picked that were the most likely to decline in 2018:

Vikings

Steelers

Panthers

Bills

Cardinals 

Titans

The six teams insiders picked to most likely improve in 2018:

The Browns

Jags

Texans

Chargers

Bears

Colts

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Re: NFL NEWS AND NOTES FOR AUGUST 2018

@Spurt Thank you for starting this, I'm so excited that it's August and football time is near.  

Hail to the Redskins!

Honored Contributor

It would be kind of hard for the Browns not to improve. When you've only won one game in two years, there's no where to go but up.

Alex Smith is a good scrambler, but it'll be interesting to see how he performs under pressure. I don't really see him as an upgrade on Cousins as much as an older version of Cousins. That whole Andy Reid deciding to move on from him thing has me worried still. Andy tends to know when to dump a guy, and the guys he dumps tend to flop elsewhere. Andy was in Philly a long time and when he got rid of a guy voluntarily, the guy was typically done. He took less for Alex Smith than he did for Kolb, Feeley, or McNabb. Maybe Andy was just feeling generous, but you had a lot of teams needing a qb and Andy unloaded Smith at a bargain price. Something just doesn't add up there to me.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Spurt  I sure hope you're right about the Browns.........but then, they only have one direction they can go!  I live in the burbs east of Cleveland, and it sure would be nice to see a win (any win will do.....I'm not picky)!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Here's to a HEALTHY season for all the players.  So good to see the Texans have everyone back and healthy.  Nice to see Big Ben in such great shape in camp.  Loved his son throwing the ball to Antonio Brown's little guy.  Go STEELERS!

Esteemed Contributor

The Colts are bound to improve with Andrew Luck back and the good draft picks. (Barring any injuries;  hope not.) 

How can the Jags improve much? Their defense is one of the best in the NFL, and they went to the playoffs last year. Almost pulled out a win against NE.Unless the insiders are referring to the quarterback situation? 

I'm looking forward to the HOF game. Baltimore is favored by 2.5 points. Flacco won't be playing, so we'll get to see how how Lamar Jackson and RG111 do. I don't  know who will be starting, though. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Colts offensive lineman Jack Mewhort, has announced his retirement. He's only 26 years old, but has decided to leave because of knee problems. Mewhort was a good player but he was often on the injury list. I can understand his reasoning, and I wish him well in his future plans. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

We finally made it!!!  I will take a meaningless pre season game any day of the week!!!

GO LIONS!!!  

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Trusted Contributor

Looking forward to tonight's game ... will be interesting to see how much the Ravens use RGIII and/or Jackson.

So now we are beginning six months of actual play!! Woman Happy Yay!!!

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Spurt  I sure hope you're right about the Browns.........but then, they only have one direction they can go!  I live in the burbs east of Cleveland, and it sure would be nice to see a win (any win will do.....I'm not picky)!

@2blonde

Well that prediction is from the NFL analysts at ESPN, but I also think the Browns should improve because they had a decent draft, it will be interesting to see how your 2 new QBs work out......Good Luck to the Browns!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”