Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for September 2017!!!

Indy put QB Walker on the practice squad and released Morris. Tolzien will start the first game of the season. Brissett might be put in later, as he needs to learn the playbook first. 

They also released their draft pick, OL Zach Banner. I didn't expect that.

Claimed off waivers were: C Pierre Desir(who was high on the Seahawk's depth chart), and G Ian Silberman from the Raiders. 

Luck was taken off the PUP list, so that's good news. There are reports that he could be ready by either the second or third game. Right now it's all speculation. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

I suspect they'll use Andrew Luck as a late game relief quarterback in the beginning. If the Colts are in the fourth quarter and trailing by a little bit, but the game is winnable, you're apt to see Luck come in to try and pull out the win. 

He'll be on  pitch count (using baseball terminology) for a while and likely limited to ten to twenty throws a game until his arm strength returns. They'll gradually ramp up his throws until they get him to the point where he can play an entire game. I would expect that to be around week four to six. 

What you don't want is him having to make forty or fifty passes in his first game back. They've got to rebuild his arm one step at a time and he's just gone from throwing tennis balls to throwing footballs, so he's got a ways to go.

It'll be interesting to watch Cam Newton and see how Carolina uses him also. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull him in the third or fourth quarter if he's made a number of throws. You really want to ease those guys back into action and gradually rebuild their arm strength. Push them too hard, too fast and you can be right back to square one.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The NFL might have to cancel the Tampa-Miami game. it looks like Hurricane Irma is headed toward Florida, and the governor has already declared a state of emergency. Moving the game to Tampa wouldn't work, since most of Florida would be affected if the storm stays as large as it is. I think  it would be best to just cancel the game  instead of taking chances. Football is the last thing on people's minds right now. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

The NFL might have to cancel the Tampa-Miami game. it looks like Hurricane Irma is headed toward Florida, and the governor has already declared a state of emergency. Moving the game to Tampa wouldn't work, since most of Florida would be affected if the storm stays as large as it is. I think  it would be best to just cancel the game  instead of taking chances. Football is the last thing on people's minds right now. 

There's talk of moving the game up to Thursday or Friday to get it out of the way before the hurricane can hit. The current projections for the storm do not look good. A category five storm will likely create enough chaos in Florida to make even the games the following week iffy at best. Most of the tracking now has Irma starting at the southern end of Florida and then marching right up the middle of the state due to the steering currents expected to be in place. It's going to get pretty ugly down there by Sunday. Oddly enough the Miami Hurricanes are scheduled to play on Saturday and that game seems to still be on schedule. Expect pretty much everything in Florida to be a mess for a month or so if Irma behaves as expected.

We should know by the end of the day today what the plan is for that Dolphin's game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

John Kiem, ESPN Reporter for the Redskins 

keep in mind if something happens to KC or CM skins can sign Nate Sudfeld off eagles Practice Squad. 

Very Interesting about Sudfeld.................

And my apologies to Bruce Allen, it seems it was Scot M. who drafted Suva Cravens...

I drafted @Sua_Cravens cause he's a really good football player. People go thru things & sometimes that's more important than the game.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, the Redskins, or anyone else, could sign Sudfeld from the Eagles. He did do an interview with CSN Philly and explained his reasoning for signing with the Eagles. It turns out the Eagles had shown a lot of interest in Sudfeld before the draft that year and were in communication with him throughout the process. 

Here's what he said in the interview:

“I had a formal interview (with the Eagles) at the combine and I got to know Coach (Frank) Reich and (quarterbacks coach John) DeFilippo ... Coach Flip ... I still can’t pronounce his name very well," Sudfeld said.

"Got to know them pretty well in the draft process. Obviously they drafted Carson, but they still texted me and said, 'Hey good luck, you’re going to have a great career.' They always kind of seemed to be interested and have my back."

If you read between the lines, you can get the impression he doesn't think the Redskins had his back. Granted, they did cut him, so that's understandable. The problem any team has with signing him is he's in control now of whether he signs with them or not. If the Redskins had kept him on the roster they'd be in control of him. Now he's in control and can pick where to go. Once again the Redskins have a QB who is in control of his destiny and not the team.

Well, well, well, the Cowboys will have Ezekiel Elliott on Sunday, but not likely for the next six weeks as his suspension has now been upheld. It's up to the courts now to decide if things will get drawn out even longer. We'll have to see how this all plays out, but things don't look ideal for the Cowboys right now.

In other Cowboy news, it sounds like they aren't planning on having the untested rookie Cooper Rush as their backup. They put their tight end Rico Gathers on the IR list and re-signed Kellen Moore as the primary backup. There's going to be some serious roster shuffling going on in Dallas with suspended players coming and going, players getting injured, and the normal chaos of the season. Carrying three QB's may end up being too much of a luxury for the Cowboys. I suspect Cooper Rush may get traded before the trading deadline.

The Dolphins/Bucs game now looks like it'll be moved to Pennsylvania, either Pittsburgh or Philly. There's talk of asking for hurricane donations at the gate for fans wanting to see the game. We'll have to see what the league decides to do. They could still postpone the game until the two teams' bye week but that would have the teams playing sixteen straight games.

Way back at the end of last season the league asked for ideas on how to make the Thursday night opener into more of an event. I suggested an Olympics-like "Parade of Nations" opening where all 32 teams would march onto the field in full uniform pre-game with each team entering the field to their theme song. Sadly the league apparently hasn't decided to go that route, but I don't know what they are doing. (Granted it would be awkward getting all 32 teams to the same place at the same time, but it could look pretty neat.) We'll have to see what they decided to go with.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

My car is once again decked out to herald the arrival of football season, and I have my KC Chiefs purse on my arm. Life is good, even though we lost one of our key starters FOR THE SEASON due to an injury in the pre-season. Will be interesting to see what Patrick Mahomes can do when given the chance behind Alex Smith.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd want Cooper Rush in place of Walker, but that won't be happening. I've seen Brissett play when Brady was suspended, and he looked decent. He might be OK, after all. 

Barb, I heard about Spencer Ware's injury. KC does have a talent in Kareem Hunt, though. I expect that he'll do very well with the team. 

Coaches and GMs must see things differently than fans do. They waive players who are popular and make good plays and keep those who seem below average. Films must show them things fans aren't aware of. There's no other explanation for some of the moves teams have made.  

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt

Yeah, the Redskins, or anyone else, could sign Sudfeld from the Eagles. He did do an interview with CSN Philly and explained his reasoning for signing with the Eagles. It turns out the Eagles had shown a lot of interest in Sudfeld before the draft that year and were in communication with him throughout the process. 

Here's what he said in the interview:

“I had a formal interview (with the Eagles) at the combine and I got to know Coach (Frank) Reich and (quarterbacks coach John) DeFilippo ... Coach Flip ... I still can’t pronounce his name very well," Sudfeld said.

"Got to know them pretty well in the draft process. Obviously they drafted Carson, but they still texted me and said, 'Hey good luck, you’re going to have a great career.' They always kind of seemed to be interested and have my back."

If you read between the lines, you can get the impression he doesn't think the Redskins had his back. Granted, they did cut him, so that's understandable. The problem any team has with signing him is he's in control now of whether he signs with them or not. If the Redskins had kept him on the roster they'd be in control of him. Now he's in control and can pick where to go. Once again the Redskins have a QB who is in control of his destiny and not the team.

Well, well, well, the Cowboys will have Ezekiel Elliott on Sunday, but not likely for the next six weeks as his suspension has now been upheld. It's up to the courts now to decide if things will get drawn out even longer. We'll have to see how this all plays out, but things don't look ideal for the Cowboys right now.

In other Cowboy news, it sounds like they aren't planning on having the untested rookie Cooper Rush as their backup. They put their tight end Rico Gathers on the IR list and re-signed Kellen Moore as the primary backup. There's going to be some serious roster shuffling going on in Dallas with suspended players coming and going, players getting injured, and the normal chaos of the season. Carrying three QB's may end up being too much of a luxury for the Cowboys. I suspect Cooper Rush may get traded before the trading deadline.

The Dolphins/Bucs game now looks like it'll be moved to Pennsylvania, either Pittsburgh or Philly. There's talk of asking for hurricane donations at the gate for fans wanting to see the game. We'll have to see what the league decides to do. They could still postpone the game until the two teams' bye week but that would have the teams playing sixteen straight games.

Way back at the end of last season the league asked for ideas on how to make the Thursday night opener into more of an event. I suggested an Olympics-like "Parade of Nations" opening where all 32 teams would march onto the field in full uniform pre-game with each team entering the field to their theme song. Sadly the league apparently hasn't decided to go that route, but I don't know what they are doing. (Granted it would be awkward getting all 32 teams to the same place at the same time, but it could look pretty neat.) We'll have to see what they decided to go with.

@gardenman

OK I wasnt aware of the Practice Squad rules until John Keim pointed it out.  Interesting.  And the reason NS signed with the Eagles over the Redskins makes sense now........I wonder if NS was more of a draft choice of Scot M rather than Allen and the coaching staff..........

Ya know I wonder if the whole Suva Cravens selection was the reason for the rift between Allen and Scot M.  I had read that Cravens was unhappy and considered retirement last year, and maybe Allen didnt like the Cravens pick in the first place (maybe there was a DL he wanted more) and when he heard Cravens musings perhaps thats when Allen/Scot M got into a heated conversation and severed their relationship and led to Scot's being left out at this years combine/meetings etc---although the team more or less went with Scot's M's draft picks even though the team fired him....who knows.

I can certainly see canceling the game in Miami--how can the players have their mind on the game worrying abut safety of family/property etc. But poor Dolphins/Bucs that would be unfair for them to go 16 straight games without a break, NFL needs to come up with something else........JMHO

Pesonally, since they are an NFC East opponent, the Cowboys woes with players coming in and out due to suspensions, injuries etc....nothing pleases me more (EVIL GRIN)! 😈  Jerry needs to give character more priority than his "boys will be boys" attitude! 

I think the Cowboys made another mistake going with Moore---Jerry doesnt want to entrust a rookie if Dak goes down because hes under the impression the Cowboys are Super Bowl bound....I dont see it with all their suspensions.....and who knows what Dak will be in his sophomore year and defense coaches now have film on the guy to now know his tendencies and game...........

As for your idea about the Parade Of Teams---that sounded like fun, I like it---perhaps a former fan favorite player from each team holding the team flag, versus an active player who needs to be with his team in prep for their first game. But not all teams have fight songs, our respective teams do....several teams use the Miami Dolphins old fight song that the old Houston Oilers used (just changed the tea name).....others like the Giants have no song...tsk tsk...............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

My car is once again decked out to herald the arrival of football season, and I have my KC Chiefs purse on my arm. Life is good, even though we lost one of our key starters FOR THE SEASON due to an injury in the pre-season. Will be interesting to see what Patrick Mahomes can do when given the chance behind Alex Smith.

@LonestarBabs

Hello "other tribe"  Redskin fan here.....I loved the way the Chiefs rattled Tom Brady's "cage" in that playoff game.....they have the defense, but need to add more fire on the offensive side to dethrone the Pats....Good Luck!