Honored Contributor

Re: NFL 2023 Conference Championship Round of the Playoffs!

@teganslaw wrote:

I thought the game would go into overtime, but then Cincinnati got the penalty to give KC 15 extra yards and the winning field goal. Dumb penalty that shouldn't have happened. KC still might have won in OT, but Cincinnati helped them in regulation.

Congrats to the Chiefs, but I don't very highly of the team's coaches and training staff. By having Mahomes play, they could have caused him further injury. It's not helping him heal for the Super Bowl. Chad Henne is qualified and they have won with him before.

Mahomes wanted to play, but he doesn't have the final call. The Chiefs seemed to think  that winning is more important than a player's health. This has happened with other teams, also. 

I want the Eagles to win the Super Bowl. Sirianni and Zach Pascal deserves a ring also. 

I was surprised they let him practice and play. He's still a young guy and using a high ankle sprain can/will lead to arthritic changes down the road. You're not letting it heal. The guidelines to return to use after a high ankle sprain is full range of motion, no pain, equal strength to the uninjured ankle. Mahomes was not close on any of those. If he was an old vet in his final year, yeah, maybe you let him give it a go. He's still a pup though and letting him play on an injured ankle could cost him years off his career later. Sure, he wanted to play, but someone has to be the adult there and say no. 

You just don't let injured guys play most of the time. You have to protect them from themselves.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@taeganslaw   The penalty wasn't dumb,  the player was dumb.  He probably blew a win for his team.  He knew it because he was crying on the sidelines.

I am a Chiefs fan so I was happy with the outcome even though the Bengals are a good team.  Patrick Mahomes is an amazing exciting unbelievable QB.   

thevrub is I am also an Eagles fan so I'm going to be very torn watching the SB

Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw  I doubt the team put winning over Mahomes health.  Lots of projecting going on here.  Mahomes wanted to play.   That 'dumb' call you refer to was a proper call.  The "dumb" was the player who made the dumb play.  It was blatant unnecessary roughness and he cried on the sidelines because he may have cost his team a win.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman   considering the chiefs QB was hobbling through the game and playing minus 3 of his top receivers, I think KC was impressive enough.  The Bengals have a good team and a great QB but to call the teams unimpressive. Is a stretch.  It was a nailbiter

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddixat , the call was the right one, I wasn't clear in my post. It was a stupid play by Cincinnati, not that the penalty was uncalled for. Defensive players should know better than to do that especially in playoff games. 

Still think KC was careless in having Mahomes play. I won't change my mind on that. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw  no worries.   I understand where you're coming from with Mahomes.   I'm sure he convinced everyone he could play.  Kelce was also hurt in practice but still played.  High stakes games call for high stakes decisions.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's so bad for the NFL when the officials have that much influence on a game. I heard that Zac Taylor just came right out and said it was rigged.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21    The game wasn't rigged!!!!  Who is Zach Taylor and why does his opinion matter. Sour grapes doesn't mean a game was rigged

Honored Contributor

Who is Zac Taylor? He's the Bengals head coach. My local sports radio station claims he said it was rigged, but I can't find that anywhere online so I doubt he said it.

I think people outside of Chiefs fans can see the questionable calls in that game. I'm done talking about it.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@teganslaw  no worries.   I understand where you're coming from with Mahomes.   I'm sure he convinced everyone he could play.  Kelce was also hurt in practice but still played.  High stakes games call for high stakes decisions.  

The injuries of Kelce and Mahomes were different types. For Kelce, it was back spasms, nothing structural. For Mahomes, the issue is structural. They braced and taped his ankle to stabilize it as much as possible, but in general, no one plays through a high ankle sprain. The risk of reinjury and permanent complications (hemarthrosis leading to permanent arthritic changes) are too high. He's still a young player and letting him play through an injury like that can steal years from the back end of his career.

Sports medicine docs would typically have a guy in a walking boot for two weeks or more then work with them to regain strength and range of motion before letting them resume full activity.

Now, Lane Johnson is playing through a torn abductor muscle which needs surgery, but since the muscle is already torn it becomes just pain tolerance. He's totally torn it and you can't hurt it more than it's already hurt. Mahomes has the potential to hurt his ankle a lot more than it's already hurt. And the harm can be permanent. It's a high risk game the Chiefs are playing with their most valuable player. I don't think many/most sports medicine docs would agree with what they're doing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!