Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL 2023 Conference Championship Round of the Playoffs!

@gardenman I don't know if this has made it on the sports reporting for Philly, but I have some interesting trivia for you.  Jalen Hurts already has some experience defeating Brock Purdy. On November 9, 2019 OU defeated Iowa State 42-41.  Purdy attempted a 2 point conversion to win the game with 24 seconds left but was intercepted.  Jalen passed for 273 yards and 3 touchdowns.  He also ran for 68 yards and scored 2 more td's.  I remember watching that exciting game!  It will be hard, but this Cowboy's fan has to pull for Philly to beat the 49'ers as I'd love to see Jalen win a Super Bowl.  Think they are quite capable of beating them Sunday.  Good luck! 

Esteemed Contributor

Finalists for NFL honors are here. The ones for MVP:  Patrick Mahomes, Justin Jefferson, Josh Allen, Joe Burrows, Jalen Hurts.

Jefferson is also finalist for OPOY, which is more likely. I think I would go with Mahomes for MVP as he has the most passing yards of the QBs and has set other records in KC. Not to take away from the others, but I'm going on statistics for this choice. 

IMO COTY is a toss up between Brian Daboll and Doug Pederson. Both coaches have had success in 2022 after their teams had miserable past years. It shows what a difference they have made. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nick Bosa, 49er defensive lineman, has been named Defensive Player of the year by the Pro Football Writers of America. Bosa,who led the NFL in sacks this season with 18.5, is a finalist for AP Defensive Player of the year. 

Brock Purdy is a finalist for 2022 AP offensive Rookie of the Year. Running back Christian McCaffrey is a finalist for AP Comeback Player of the Year. Kyle Shannahan is a finalist for AP Coach of the Year.

Go Niners!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those teams not in the playoffs its never too early to discuss The Draft----

Mel Kiper has a mock draft and at #16 he has Washington taking OT BRODERICK JONES GEORGIA.....With much need on the oline...and based on what Rivera has said EXCELLENT PICK. I hope it comes true

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The draft is always a fun subject. The Eagles have two first-round picks this year with the early one being at ten thanks to last year's trade with New Orleans. Given their draft capital, they could move up into the top five if they fall in love with a guy, or trade back for more picks. I'm inclined to think they'll more trade back than up.

In a typical draft there are only fifteen to twenty guys with a clear first-round grade. I haven't seen the grading yet this year but I would guess it's about that level again.

Georgia's QB Stetson Bennett will be an interesting guy to watch. He's good but older at 25.  Older is almost never better in the NFL. Teams will look at him and wonder how many years they could rely on him. Is he a two contract guy? Three? Probably not four. Where does he go in a QB needy league? Early projections have him going in round three, but that can all change at the combine and workouts. If he does well, he could climb into the first round. If he does poorly, he could drop out of the draft completely. Lots of pressure is on the draftable kids in the coming days/weeks/months.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Interesting. The Chiefs say Mahomes was a full participant in practice today. Eh, okay. A high ankle sprain is an 'injury' not a soreness. Generally speaking, you don't let injured players play. You pretty much have to protect the player from himself when he's injured. Everyone is sore, dinged, and not 100% this time of year, but you don't typically let a guy with an 'injury' play. Are the Chiefs telling the truth? We'll have to see. Typically with a high ankle sprain a guy will be in a boot for two to three weeks. Mahomes sounds like he's planning to play, but I'm not so sure the Chiefs will go along with that. He's a big investment for them and getting him seriously dinged by playing while injured could cause all kind of trouble for them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

All mock drafts I've seen have the Colts getting a QB. The main ones listed are  C.J. Stroud (Ohio State) and Will Levis (Kentucky.) One draft has the Colts and Bears trading places with the Colts  #1 and selecting Bryce Young (Alabama) and the Bears a defensive end.  Things are going to change as the draft gets closer. 

It also depends on who the Colts pick as HC. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Cowboys are flushing a number of assistant coaches out of the system. (At least five at last count.) That's typically a bad omen for the current head coach. Now he has to find and recruit a bunch of new assistants, train them up, coach them up, and hope they perform well.  If they don't, well, then the head coach tends to get the axe the next year. McCarthy might also need a new DC and OC as Dan Quinn is still a big name for two jobs (Broncos and Cards) while Kellen Moore is reportedly near the top for the Panthers. 

One of the often overlooked responsibilities of a head coach is coaching up his assistants and getting them on board with his way of doing things. That's not always an easy task. A stable staff makes life easier for everyone and leads to more success. An unstable coaching staff leads to issues.

The firings are interesting also. RB coach, o-line coach, assistant head coach, LB coach, and assistant d-line coach. You can make a pretty good argument those were the positions where the Cowboys were strongest. They were weakest at DB and WR. The TE coaching was a tad suspect also. The RBs were good. The o-line was patched together due to injuries but was okay. Leighton Vander Esch arguably had his best season as a pro at LB. So, they're firing all of those coaches and keeping the ones at the positions that under performed. Sure. It makes perfect sense.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @gardenman 

Hey Tegan the Colts are on a second interview with the Cowboys Dan Quinn......of course other candidates have also been interviewed....Jeff Saturday also got a second....Quinn also had 2 interviews with the Cardinals

What is Jerry Jones doing, 5 assistant coaches were fired, is he planning on letting his NEW HEAD COACH hire Assistants???? Or if his first choice for HC isn't available will he keep McCarthy and just replace Assistants.....Looks like Quinn and Moore my take other jobs too..No radio shows for Jerry or Stephen Jones either this week...are they waiting to make a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT BY ANY CHANCE?

🤔

Those canned---

Oline coach Joe Philbin, Dline Assistant coach Leon Lett, Assistant HC Rob Davis, RB coach, Skip Peete, defensive Assistant George Edwards

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A bizarre scenario regarding Washington in the Draft...they trade up to 13 and give up their 1st, 2nd and 6th and get the Jets  4th and 5th round picks and draft Florida QB Anthony Richardson ...I DONT LIKE THIS AT ALL---too many needs at other positions like---OLINE, LB, CB...Although Richardson has potential, he's a project....just what we don't need🙄

Some said the Raiders are eyeing him...

Here's an interesting stat....HC PLAYOFF WIN % IN NFL HISTORY---

Joe Gibbs .708 😁

Belichick .705

Chuck Noll .667

Tom Landy/Andy Reid .556