Honored Contributor

This may have limited interest here, but I'll give it a shot. I've bee reading that they are going to cancel this show , and give Mike Greenberg his own morning show. I hate this idea, I watch Mike and Mike instead of Today etc. and without Golic there is no show. Greene is so annoying, I jusypt can't believe he can carry a show on his own. Any other fans out there ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I agree.  Golic is who makes the show.  Don't know what those who decide these things are thinking.  

Trusted Contributor

ESPN is cancelling shows and cutting staff as a way to make more money.  I read that at first, they had no competition.  Now there are at least 2 other general sport networks...FoxSports and NBC Sports.  Add to that the Golf Channel, MLB Network, NFL Network, Tennis, Hockey...the list goes on and on.

As to changing Mike and Mike, I am with the OP.  It will not be the same at all.

Regular Contributor

I am mixed. You don't kill the "golden goose". However, this show like others...Big Bang, Mash, Simpsons....seem to bring in the $$$$$ in ads...so funny or not they keep going. Considrering that Greenberg is gone half the time and *shudders* Golic's idiot son fills in...Yikes! I have a feeling that it will become a one man show with the senior golic and "guests" ala Kelly Ripa. Either Greenberg falls flat on face...see the game show "duel" or they beg him to come back because people don't want to listen to 4 hours of Goilc family hyjinks or storys of the family winning gold medals or super bowls.....*insert sarcasm*. If anyone knows what I am refering to you will get the joke.

Honored Contributor

@fuzzball76 wrote:

I am mixed. You don't kill the "golden goose". However, this show like others...Big Bang, Mash, Simpsons....seem to bring in the $$$$$ in ads...so funny or not they keep going. Considrering that Greenberg is gone half the time and *shudders* Golic's idiot son fills in...Yikes! I have a feeling that it will become a one man show with the senior golic and "guests" ala Kelly Ripa. Either Greenberg falls flat on face...see the game show "duel" or they beg him to come back because people don't want to listen to 4 hours of Goilc family hyjinks or storys of the family winning gold medals or super bowls.....*insert sarcasm*. If anyone knows what I am refering to you will get the joke.

But do you really want to listen to Greenie's half- baked opinions without any rebuttal ?   The report is he will get 6.5 million, I can't stand it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I haven't watched them on TV but do listen on radio from time-to-time.  I think their shtick - smart geek vs. dumb jock - has worn thin.   Maybe each one independently would be better.  One good thing is that we won't have to listen to their lame commercials any more.

Respected Contributor

They are good together, not sure either is good enough alone.  The educated journalist who never played sports vs the retired athlete whose children also all played sports.  I love the rapport between them and it would not be the same without BOTH of them, IMO

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Trusted Contributor

ESPN has become very PC, probably will be replaced by a diverse person or persons.

Trusted Contributor

oh ugh! I like the two of them together -- they balance each other nicely. And who can forget Golic's Kardashian-pose photo? Greenberg is too hyper, too nebbish on his own. Former NFL players warm up to Golic and he can hold conversations with them, as well as coaches. Greenberg talks stats and his rapid-fire delivery wears thin on its own.

While I used to tune in daily to the show, I have been watching other morning sports shows during the same time period. Something about the show had failed to hold my interest -- but I know it wasn't the Mikes, it must have been something about the line-up each day or the myriad of commercials. They weren't booking guests of interest like in the past.

I likely won't watch Greenberg on his own.

Respected Contributor

I liked the show, but haven't watched in quite awhile.  I am sort of "off" sports talk.

I don't think it's a good idea to only have one.  The show works because of the combination.

Greenberg just looks silly with his nasty facial hair, and I used to think he was kind of cute!

My opinion is BAD IDEA.  I have never seen a show with one of Golic's sons!

Hyacinth