Trusted Contributor

What a wild season this has been (so far). Do you think it's a result of good luck, good players, a good manager, or what?

I think you make your own luck and I think that's partly the reason for the M's amazing season. They, for some reason, would -- year after year -- sign OLD (30+ years old, injured, players that were in the twilight of their careers. This year they HAVEN'T--we've got some good pitching (James Paxton, the big, tall Canadian guy with the maple tree tattoed on his throwing arm),good defence/fielding--i.e., Kyle Seeger, etc., and good hitting, now that Edgar Martinez (the best Designated Hitter of all eternity) is coaching the batters.

Of course, they could--as in years past--start tripping over their own feet, so to speak, and/or have a late season collapse too--we've seen WAY too much of that. Or someone like Paxton get hurt.

But we've also got some fine young talent coming up through the ranks so I, for one, am hopeful and even, maybe, cautiously optimistic.

And WOW did the M's dodge a bullet when they DIDN'T draft Japanese pitcher (can't remember his name) that everyone was lusting after; he signed with some other team and now it turns out he's got some kind of BIG problem in his...arm?...will be out the rest of (this his first in the American big leagues) the season and may require Tommy John surgery. What puzzles me is, aren't the supposed to pass a physical before they sign? What happened.

Anyway, BATTER UP!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

no matter what the reason is.... I'm excited!!!!!! Go Mariners!

Honored Contributor

I've only lived in WA state since early 2010 and immediately "adopted" the Mariners when I left the L. A. Dodgers behind.

I LOVE them! And yes, Ohtani would have cost the M's a fortune with his injury!

Their FB page is a lot of fun and Cano is generally called "Robinson Cannot" and the prevailing attitude is "who needs him"?  NOT the Mariners!

As of today they are still 1/2 game ahead of Houston and in first place. I see that Houston plays this evening. Right now the M's are ahead of the Angels 4-3. Hope it keeps up so they can hang on to 1st place!!! YAY!!!

Frequent Contributor

It is such a nice surprise to have them doing so well this season! Hopefully they’ll keep this up. Go M’s!!

Regular Contributor

As a fan for 30+ years, this season is fun and feels a lot like 2001. I hope no one gets hurt and they can keep it going!

Football is my favorite season.
Trusted Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

What a wild season this has been (so far). Do you think it's a result of good luck, good players, a good manager, or what?

I think you make your own luck and I think that's partly the reason for the M's amazing season. They, for some reason, would -- year after year -- sign OLD (30+ years old, injured, players that were in the twilight of their careers. This year they HAVEN'T--we've got some good pitching (James Paxton, the big, tall Canadian guy with the maple tree tattoed on his throwing arm),good defence/fielding--i.e., Kyle Seeger, etc., and good hitting, now that Edgar Martinez (the best Designated Hitter of all eternity) is coaching the batters.

Of course, they could--as in years past--start tripping over their own feet, so to speak, and/or have a late season collapse too--we've seen WAY too much of that. Or someone like Paxton get hurt.

But we've also got some fine young talent coming up through the ranks so I, for one, am hopeful and even, maybe, cautiously optimistic.

And WOW did the M's dodge a bullet when they DIDN'T draft Japanese pitcher (can't remember his name) that everyone was lusting after; he signed with some other team and now it turns out he's got some kind of BIG problem in his...arm?...will be out the rest of (this his first in the American big leagues) the season and may require Tommy John surgery. What puzzles me is, aren't the supposed to pass a physical before they sign? What happened.

Anyway, BATTER UP!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy, was I wrong!