Honored Contributor

Re: Lamar Jackson is getting some flak

nothing but respect for lamar, his game, and his commitment to baltimore.

our city has been ragged on this past year for a number of reasons and he and the team have brought us together in a small way and given us some of our  hometown pride back. time will tell, but i think he is one of the good guys in the sport. i hope he has a long and successful career! we are lucky to have him. a successful team and teammates you can be proud of give the city a big boost in many ways.

the woman, karen,  who wrote the "opinion piece" has received much more flak than lamar i believe. he has been involved in an anti bullying  charity, mission hope for kids,  and "blessings in a backpack."

lamar and mother.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  Thanks for your post...especially the pic and comments.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

The things people complain about. QB's make a lot of money so his gift seems appropriate to me.

Honored Contributor

Lamar Jackson wasn't going to slip out of the first-round when he was drafted. The Eagles held that final pick in the round and had done a ton of homework on the kid and loved him. Either they were going to draft him or trade the pick to someone else who would draft him, but they weren't letting him slide any further. The Eagles had Carson Wentz, but they knew what Lamar Jackson could be and weren't going to let him slide any further. Having two great quarterbacks on the roster on rookie contracts isn't a horrible thing and the Eagles were seriously considering taking him until Baltimore made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Money for professional athletes is different than for most of us. In Philly, the eleven offensive linemen go out for a team dinner each week at one of the more pricey spots and the dinner tab is often in the tens of thousands ($40,000+ one night that I recall reading about.) The cost of a few Rolexes isn't so bad compared to a weekly dinner tab like that.

Are there better ways they could use that money? Sure. There are better ways all of us could use our money. We tend to do what we want with our money and they tend to do what they want with their money. It doesn't bother me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman  $40K+ is a little hard to believe.  11 guys...it would be more than $3600 EACH.  Guess it includes a helluva bar tab.  And a very generous tip.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@gardenman  $40K+ is a little hard to believe.  11 guys...it would be more than $3600 EACH.  Guess it includes a helluva bar tab.  And a very generous tip.

From what I understand, much of it is the bar tab. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

There is a lot of what seems like mean-envy these days because of the disparity. I don't like it, moneyed people live differently depending. Some live outrageously, some miserly, either way it is their money to spend or not, as they wish.

My only gripe is that the NFL ticket prices are out of reach for of a lot of fans. Many might scrape together enough to buy one ticket but to take the family, forget it.

I admit I may be missing some things in the big picture, but in the real life of everyday people, it seems out of whack.

I don't expect players to live lower for the benefit of anyone. There has to be all kinds of money pouring into the NFL, give the ticket buying fans a break for crying out loud.

GO HAWKS!