Honored Contributor

Lack of Crowd Noise

[ Edited ]

Watched the US Open tennis tournament last week, and the US Open golf tournament this week.  During both events, commentators noted that they felt the lack of crowd noise affected the players.  Some saw it as a positive, others a negative.  I've watched both events in previous years.

As a television viewer, I am appreciating the lack of crowd noise.  It seems to make the play move faster, and I am better able to hear the comments made by the players themselves.  But the lack of income from spectator admission fees has to be a drain on the bottom line. 

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter    I am a Seahawk's fan - the noise @ our stadium is very very loud, we are known for this, it is definitely a negative for the other team.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Lack of Crowd Noise

[ Edited ]

I'd posit the impact of crowd noise or the lack of crowd noise on both players and those watching on TV might be qutie different for sports like golf and tennis than it is for team sports like football, baseball or basketball... I've turned off several team sporting events after just a few minutes because they lack something without the spectator component... My guess I won't be watching sports going forward until things approach more normalcy... As for this baseball 'season', I can't take it at all seriously...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The only sport I watch is pro football, and the lack of a crowd doesn't bother me at all.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I too miss the crowd noise but what I could do without is the incessant blabbing of the talking heads.  Someone needs to remind them it's not radio and we can see what's going on. 

Super Contributor

doesnt bother me ....BUT

One football game last sunday...on Fox at 1pm....the engineer had the crowd noise mix too lous...could not even hear the announcers.....that lasted for about 10 minutes, then they got a good ratio.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lack of Crowd Noise

[ Edited ]

I watched the tennis also and in the beginning the lack of crowd noise seemed strange.  But by the end of the second week, I didn't miss the crowd at all.  Not sure how it affected the players.  I think I heard Serena say that she practices without a crowd and she is so focused that it didn't matter that much one way or the other.

For football sometimes the crowd noise is so loud I can't hear what the announcers are saying and wind up muting the TV so I don't really miss the crowd noise there.

Honored Contributor
Steelers OLB TJ Watt said it’s so quiet they can sometimes hear the opposing team’s snap count when they huddle. 😂
Valued Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I too miss the crowd noise but what I could do without is the incessant blabbing of the talking heads.  Someone needs to remind them it's not radio and we can see what's going on. 

Are you talking about the broadcasters?? They are beyond distracting..guess I will mute it  next time!!!! Woman Frustrated