Respected Contributor

LEXI THOMPSON'S ERROR AT THE LPGA

[ Edited ]

I watched the replay.  Yes, she did place the ball slightlty off the coin.  It took a close-up of the incident in slow-motion for me to see the error.

I wonder how a fan watching TV could notice it during regular tournament coverage?  I also wonder whether golf should be accepting phone calls from TV viewers who decide to act as the eyes of on-field officials.

Golfers are required to police themselves penalize themselves when they make an error.  From what I can remember of professional golf, they do just that.  Should the TV viewers join the golfers and on-field officials in policing play?

It is an ugly mess that the PGA and LPGA ought to resolve before the next "eagle-eyed" viewer pulls the stunt again.

Honored Contributor

Re: LEXI THOMPSON'S ERROR AT THE LPGA

I haven't read about this.  Was she penalized?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  She was penalized 4 strokes: 2 for the incorrect placement and 2 for an incorrect scorecard (presumably linked to the incorrect placement) on the same incident.  That ultimately cost her the tournament.

Respected Contributor

What is even uglier is this.  Lexi made the error on Saturday.  The viewer didn't let the tournament know of the error until Sunday.  That's why Lexi was penalized 4 strokes.  She signed in incorrect score card on Saturday because she apparently didn't know she made the error, AND she was penalized 2 strokes for the error she apparently didn't know she made.

One has to wonder what was going on with the viewer.  Why wait until Sunday to let the tournament people know that Lexi had made the error on Saturday.

It is just a horrible mess that ought to leave a stench in the nose of every golfer and golf fan.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 Thank you for filling me in.  I could hardly blame the viewer.  He or she wasn't a tournament official.  I'm surprised the real officials didn't catch the cheating (or error).  And that, when it was brought to their attention, they penalized the player.  In most other sports, it seems, if officials don't catch a mistake or foul, then, officially, it didn't happen.