Trusted Contributor

Thoroghbreds wouldn't exist at all withot racing.

There are many ills in racing. And if you've seen a horse get hurt dring the derby that stinks. It stinks in any race of which there are many on a daily basis in the country. It also sucks when it happens in a paddock on a farm. On the other hand you get horses like Zippy Chippy who never one a race and was beloved until his finally day even though he could be a bit cranky.

The real issue is there are some absolutely garbage people in the sport. Some have been cleaned out recently and the work continues. We propbably lose more horses to slaughter than accidents and the fight continues there too but that problem is bigger than just racing and is harder to stop.

I was glad to see some pictures of Rich Strike's groom who, like all grooms, is probably the most important person in this story. If you saw him walking the horse back you'd never say he didn't care about that horse. 

Trusted Contributor

@Glittergal wrote:

People tend to overlook the inherent cruelty of racing if they are entertained or making money.  My opinion is that if one truly loves horses, they do not support racing. 

Some say "they love to run,' but they run because they are being repeatedly whipped by a crop (if you've never seen a crop, they're over an inch thick with a hard metal core). They are often trained viciously to obey, which is why some horses will continue running with shattered bones and other catastrophic injuries.  

Racehorses are bred to be money-makers, not healthy animals.  They're bred for speed without regard for their safety or sustainability.  They're bred for exaggerated muscle mass and lighter/more fragile bones for speed. Thoroughbreds are designed to have enormous heart and lungs, again for speed/attaining the almighty dollar. 

These genetic manipulations also extend to creating an animal with legs like glass.  Horses don't mature until age 5, and many are forced to race at age 2.  This is the equivalent of a small child lugging around a 50 lb backpack.  This causes great damage to their musculoskeletal system.  Horses are forced to run at very high speeds causing severe injury and crippling pain and injury to joints.  Tendons are often torn or bowed which often goes untreated as horses mask their pain, especially when they are drugged.  

PROOF? Are you a VET who specialzes in horses? Doubt it. You are CLUELESS, but CARRY ON. Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

No, I'm not a vet, just educated and experienced.  

Honored Contributor

@Glittergal wrote:

No, I'm not a vet, just educated and experienced.  

And @Glittergal not even to mention that unlike some, you're not uncivil in expressing your point of view... Nor do your comments carry a tone that says you know it all and everyone else is 'clueless'... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Thank you StevieB.  I appreciate the compliment.

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Terrible animal cruelty. Horse racing should be banned .

I agree and they can ban rodeos while they are at it.

Esteemed Contributor

Rich Strike won't be competing in the Preakness. The owner plans on giving the horse a rest and then attempting the Belmont. 

I think that's a good idea. They wouldn't want to risk injuries from too much racing. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

I think resting is a smart move too and he's putting the horse over whatever pressure he's probably been getting from racing officials. The horse is very unlikely to win all three so better to take a break and refresh for the Belmont or whatever race they are pointing towards. And with no triple crown on the line I might be able to get a cheap seat.

Trusted Contributor

@layla2450 wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

You have NO clue about horse racing. 

Animal cruelty? There is NOTHING cruel about it. The horses, especially the ones who run in HIGH stakes races are treated VERY well. 

And NO it will NEVER be banned.

My DD's best friend was employed at a race track near me as a handler.  The stories she would tell about the abuse of the horses were horrible.  And the beatings some horses would suffer  should they not win.  So yes, that would be called animal cruelty.  It will never be banned as long as there are people to support the other side of racing, you are correct.

Trusted Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@layla2450 wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

You have NO clue about horse racing. 

Animal cruelty? There is NOTHING cruel about it. The horses, especially the ones who run in HIGH stakes races are treated VERY well. 

And NO it will NEVER be banned.

My DD's best friend was employed at a race track near me as a handler.  The stories she would tell about the abuse of the horses were horrible.  And the beatings some horses would suffer  should they not win.  So yes, that would be called animal cruelty.  It will never be banned as long as there are people to support the other side of racing, you are correct.

She shold go to the police and the media. This stuff is otrageous but you can't get rid of the bad guys by saying nothing. Those people should be in jail.