Respected Contributor

Just finished Dan Wheeler's book from 2000, "Best Seat In The House"...

[ Edited ]

I truly found it enjoyable and interesting!  And I'm not a huge sports fanatic, but the angle for me originally was QVC, behind the scenes, coupled with his stories of the greats in sports, I thought would be an entertaining read and it was.  For any of you Q-watchers that liked Dan and/or sports, I recommend it.  I found it on Amazon; don't know if they still have it.  Another thing..I wonder why QVC doesn't do all the kinds of sports shows with various sports figures like they used to...I mean besides their usual "sports fans jackets" shows & post World Series & Superbowl shows. In this book they did so many remotes from so many events, as well as many sports memorabila shows throughout the year, with guest-stars all the time. Maybe too expensive now.

Anyway, all, I kept thinking was, Dan truly had his dream job, since he loves sports so much; he got to meet all his heroes, and had personal reflections on them all.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just finished Dan Wheeler's book from 2000, "Best Seat In The House"...

[ Edited ]

@amybDan's sports memorabilia shows were always good. His book was an interesting account of the legends he had a chance to meet and interview as part of the process to sit with them for an hour or two for the purpose of selling stuff.

With the reduction in the number of people collecting things just to hold onto, it was no longer good business for QVC to produce those shows. They got out of the collector's business altogether as they not only discontinued the sports shows, but also Hummels, Fenton Art Glass, collectible dolls and stuffed animal shows, among other things considered collectible.  

Honored Contributor

@amyb    Very nice review, although I've never been a fan of either Dan or sports.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@amybDan's sports memorabilia shows were always good. His book was an interesting account of the legends he had a chance to meet and interview as part of the process to sit with them for an hour or two for the purpose of selling stuff.

With the reduction in the number of people collecting things just to hold onto, it was no longer good business for QVC to produce those shows. They got out of the collector's business altogether as they not only discontinued the sports shows, but also Hummels, Fenton Art Glass, collectible dolls and stuffed animal shows, among other things considered collectible.  

Good point about all the "collectibles" shows no longer selling. I guess I just subconsciously didn't even put them in that category. Fenton, Hummels, Dolls, all seem like random stuff, albeit perhaps a hobby or interest on some people's parts...but just stuff.  While sports are still such a popular part of the culture, and the sports memorabilia collecting and entertainment factor still seemed like there might be an audience. But, after thinking about it, I believe you are dead on right...people just don't want to gather more things, whether it's an aging Q demographic, or the younger set who don't have that mentality to begin with!

Was thinking lately, as I get older and also having just sold my 90 year old mom's house and had to go through a lot of things...we spend the first half of our lives acquiring things, and the second half trying to get rid of them. (I realize we enjoy them along the way, and can still love "our things" no matter how long we live but still..). And Q-collectors....whether they eventually tire of the things, or pass it on in an estate or what have you....you see a TON of it all on ebay!  

Anyway, I found it an unusual pick for me, but an entertaining read. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Dan has a book coming out about his wife and cancer 

check Amz,