Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Another great tennis tournament.  I didn't even miss Roger, Rafa, Novak and Serena.  2022 is going to be a very interesting year in the tennis world, IMO!!! 

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Another great tennis tournament.  I didn't even miss Roger, Rafa, Novak and Serena.  2022 is going to be a very interesting year in the tennis world, IMO!!! 

Their absence has given other players the opportunity to play through a tournament and increase their confidence. Tennis is a mental challenge as well as one of physical skills. The other players have been given an opportunity to prove they have what it takes to win. I agree 2022 will be an exciting year.

Respected Contributor

i sure hope the first three come back, next year. with roger's injuries/age, i have my doubts.

lots of good players are doing well. i just hope they don't get caught up, in extraneous matters, and lose their focus.

really missing the bryan bros, in doubles.

Honored Contributor

I think it is way past time for those old folks to step aside and let the younger people have a shot at fame and fortune.  There is no reason for them to continue.

They certainly don't need the money, and let go of the fame and glory while you are still able play without a walker.  At this point, to me it is selfish to continue. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I kind of agree with you.  I certainly don't think Roger or Serena should or will come back  Rafa is a question mark.  Novak, IMO, wants #21.

I so enjoyed seeing new and relatively new faces play.  Time for a changing of the guard.

Honored Contributor

I feel Mother Nature is taking control of Fed's, Rafa's, and the Williams sister's careers.  The aging process and years of stress and surgeries will determine their fitness for tennis in the future.  I've seen it written that Rafa would like to refine his golf game to a level of professional competition.  Certainly prize money is no longer a motivator for any of these players.  

Esteemed Contributor

Professional athletes in all sports, especially the stars have a hard time giving up the glory and adulation.  They have worked since they were young and if they can still compete at a high level why should they step aside?  Do  you feel the same about Tom Brady?