Super Contributor

Have been a loyal Reds fan for many, many (many) years and I've finally had it. The game just drags and drags. I'm not a know-it-all about baseball but I know when it's boring. 

Today you have to be a pitcher that. no one can hit or a home run hitter. You can tell by the scores which way the team goes. It is so disappointing. Years ago we had season tickets and the games were more exciting and faster. But have to admit, there isn't a Big Red Machine anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, very little is like it used to be and the pity of it is, young people will not know the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

LOL  Interesting........my husband used to say about baseball.........it was like watching the grass grow.

Respected Contributor

Try watching golf...

Super Contributor

@chessylady- may have to do that and learn a whole new vocabulary.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

It’s true, everything changes . I’m a lifelong NYG football fan, and I love good defense. However, now everything is about the quarterback and long passes.  It used to be a long bomb was special and amazing, now it’s expected. I know a lot of the changes are for safety, but  I kind of miss ground and pound. I’ll still watch, but it’s not the same.🏈🏈

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

We're baseball people but this year I've been recording the televised programs and fast forwarding. I know. We were season tix holders for a decade but we'd leave the game early because of work the next day. Then one year, when our team was such a let down after a huge victory, we could barely give tix away. And now we get really hot in the weather. Waaaaaaaa. Anyhoo, seven innings sounds like a winner to me. But when I bring it up I'm reminded that can't happen because of historical stats.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I rarely venture into the Sports forum, @SeasonedCitizen , but your thread title caught my attention.

I used to be a huge baseball fan.

I would talk about baseball at work and, in time, my co-workers became interested and started following games.

They all learned the players names and position, and enough about other teams to hold a conversation.

I taught them all how to read the box scores just so I could talk to them about that too.

(still feel guilty about that)

And one year I took a vacation to go watch my team at spring training camp and collect autographs.

But yeah, I'm done with baseball too.

Valued Contributor

I've spent years watching 162 games. Loyal fan of one team, and interested in how 3 other teams were doing. 

Then came the DH. How I dislike that whole thing. Why is the pitcher so pampered? He pitches in every 5th game. He usually only pitches for 5 or 6 innings. What makes him so special that now someone has to go up to the plate and hit for him? Can't he learn to hit the ball and run the bases? We even had one pitcher in the National League that hit the ball, and barely trotted towards first base, and then took a hard right and went to the dugout BEFORE he was out. How lazy! The fans in the stands booed him, and he deserved it.

Why not have the DH step in for the catcher? He's in every game, squatting behind the plate. And usually for all 9 innings. After 5 or 6 seasons, if the guy could run, by now he can't. That position destroys his knees and legs. Let him have someone step in for him, that I could go along with. 

Then there's the cost of tickets. I bought 4 tickets along the first base side and between the tickets, and parking it cost over $300.00. You have to be kidding. That much for 3 to 3 1/2 hours of entertainment? And don't think about food or a jersey or hat. That sure blows the old entertainment budget.

Now, there's the amount of money these players get paid. When the contracts were signed and they were $400 MIL for just one guy. Nope, I'm done. That's me and every other fan paying that. The price of tickets, memorabilia costs, and the cost of a sports package to watch on TV all that has just gotten too expensive. They are even talking about each team having their own channel. Okay, I'm finished. 

No player, actor, singer entertainer in any field is worth that kind of money. It's no wonder those in the entertainment business think they are so important and special. They think of themselves as heroes.

In baseball they say if someone is hitting well they are batting 300 or more. Come on, that's getting up to bat 10 times and only accomplishing what he is supposed to do 3 of those times. If the rest of us to as we are supposed to do only 3 out of 10 times, we are on our way home, not getting paid millions of dollars. 

I am not watching baseball any more. That's it. There are many other types of work that is much more important, and those people don't get paid anywhere close to what these folks that hit a ball get paid. 

The person that goes out in a blizzard to repair downed power lines, the doctor that develops a lifesaving medicine, the people that come through helping people to live (doctors, nurses, etc.) The heating & cooling guy that goes out to fix a broken furnace when it 20 degrees out, the teachers that work with our children, and many many others. They actually do something that matters. And they get paid a whole lot less. 

The cost of entertainment is just not worth it anymore. At least, not to me. 

Honored Contributor

There still are exciting MLB teams, but they aren't our teams.