Trusted Contributor

Re: I don't get car racing, or boxing......

@Pook Yikes, can't imagine dating a racer!  Wrestling though I can understand.  It's a competition of physical strength.  Those diaper shorts though on Sumo wrestlers are a whole other topic!  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz I know it's not your intent. Your intentions are good. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Along with those mentioned, I don't get curling.  A broom on ice???  Never did understand it even after watching it awhile during the Olympics.  AND cricket.  I know it is very popular world wide along with soccer which I also don't "get".  90 minutes and maybe one goal is scored.  That's exciting!!!

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 Yep, adding curling to my list!

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz 

Is there a sport that you do like, and if so, which one?  Never boxed, but I understand the discipline and training involved to become skilled on that sport. I went to a Heavyweight Championship here in town when the late Joe Frazier was the World Champion at that time.

Auto Racing? I raced around the Midwest for over 20 years. Until you feel the G-force in a car, or any vehicle, you may never understand the passion that drives, mostly men, to that sport.

Some do not consider race car drivers athletes. I however understand what it's like to sit in 123+° car for a long time. And during that time, unlike baseball/basketball/hockey and football? Lose your focus for a split second, and disaster can and does happen. There are no "do overs" in auto racing.

Go on a 2 hour trip/100+degrees/windows up/no AC, and with a full suit of your winter wear closed and buttoned up. Make sure you wear your warmest hat around your whole head and I will leave out the almost boiling temps on the floorboards of a race car.

Skill? Running for sometimes over 2-3 hours without getting out of the car, and only fluid as nourishment during a pit stop, which is about 13-14 seconds long.

I understand those that don't get many types of sports and what they like is fine with me. This not me saying anything negative about you or your post. I am just letting you know how athletes, in most competitive sports, can relate and appreciate the high skills of those in sports other than their own.

For me, being a participant in any competitive sport, as compared to one that is a fan only? The difference is night and day.

Stay well and enjoy the weekend, as much as possible, nowadays.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz I don't get it either...seems boring!

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut My city has a hockey team, Mavericks, in ECHL league. I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed watching this game. My grandsons love it. Hope to watch more games in the future.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I feel I am very lucky to have a husband who does not like to watch any sports at all. He'd rather play guitar or do some busy work than sit and watch sports. The most sports thing we watch is American Ninja Warrior. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  I think Jim McKay, the ABC sportscaster, once said he considered professional race car drivers the ultimate athlete.  To me it sounds more like an endurance test--LOL!!

Did you ever watch the movie, The Cutting Edge?  I started liking hockey when Rod Gilbert of the NY Rangers was playing.  Those were the days!

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@jeanlake Oh I'm sure someone will get mad at me, but that honestly wasn't my intent.  I'll just never understand the thrill of either of those two sports, but great for those that do enjoy them.  The only sports I like watching on T.V. are football, basketball, baseball and figure skating.  I do love all of the Olympics, especially gymnastics and skating!

@LdyBugz  

Aha! Figure skating! I played hockey for years/referee for 30 years, and ran an Adult Hockey League for over 52 years. Until the virus, I was ice skating 3 times a week, and usually a full 2 hour session. I will be 81 on 2 weeks.

Hockey skating and figure skating both require skill, starting with balance, along with a strong overall body, especially the legs. Throw in flexibility and that is just scratching the surface. I watched a young man, 17 years old when I first met him, that is about as close to making the USA Figure Skating Team as he can be.

I admire his dedication and his skills amaze me as an ice skater. He on the other hand cannot believe my skill/speed and stamina at my age. I love watching figure skating and of course hockey, as a fan. If you think this young man has no bruises on his body? The ice is hard without any, or very little protection.

Had to put up another post after I read your above post. I liked all of it.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)