Honored Contributor

Home Run Derby and All Star Game

Being a Mets fan I don't get many wins (pun intended), I am so happy Pete Alonso won the Home Run Derby, a bright spot for me. I'm also glad  three of my guys get to play in the All Star Game (Pete Alonso, Jacob deGrom, and Jeff McNeil). There have been years when there was one lone Met player invited to the All Star Game.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Home Run Derby and All Star Game

@Jordan2:

I'm a die-hard Yankees fan BUT I did go to my first Met game Friday night!  My friend, Linda, is a big Seinfeld fan and Jerry threw out the first pitch.  

We stayed till the top of the 8th ... Woman Sad

LOVE what Pete Alonso is doing with a portion of his winnings!Heart

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live just south of Cleveland and are big Indians fans. Carlos Santana was in the home run derby against Alonso and I must admit I had never heard of him, of course DH knew who he was. LOL Anyway, great job by that young man.  Can't wait for the game tonight!

Honored Contributor

Just the other night my DH asked which team other than the Brewers I'd like to be a fan of. I said the lowly Mets. Glad your guy won the home run derby.
Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

@Jordan2:

I'm a die-hard Yankees fan BUT I did go to my first Met game Friday night!  My friend, Linda, is a big Seinfeld fan and Jerry threw out the first pitch.  

We stayed till the top of the 8th ... Woman Sad

LOVE what Pete Alonso is doing with a portion of his winnings!Heart

@roeroe1005 Jerry’s pitch was good, I’ve seen worse! Being at the game you didn’t see Jerry was in the booth with Gary, Keith, and Ron, for a few innings, he was funny.

Trusted Contributor

It was shown on the TVs, but you are right, we couldn't hear him.  That Keith Hernandez episode is one of my favoritesWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005   A very small portion complared to how much he won. I'm confused why whomever thinks it's a good idea to give a million or so to a prof ball player just because he hit the most homes runs. I'm pretty sure these guys make more than enough money for the jobs they have.

A nice gesture, don't get me wrong, but I would have given the entire winnings to the Vets. Now THAT would have been GREAT.

Honored Contributor

Tooting the horn for the All Star Player of the Game - Cleveland's very own Justin Beiber.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 

I was at both the Home Run Derby & All-Star game. It is so exciting to be there in person. I was shocked when my younger son got us tickets!

We live 3 hours away from Cleveland but have been going to games there for about 25 years. My boys practically grew up in that stadium. They both share my love of baseball & have actually been volunteering at the All-Star games for the past few years. They go wherever the game is & get their volunteer assignments. There’s a lot that goes into such an event. 

DH was short-staffed at work so we had to drive back & forth so he could work a few hours both mornings. We are exhausted but what memories! 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@roeroe1005   A very small portion complared to how much he won. I'm confused why whomever thinks it's a good idea to give a million or so to a prof ball player just because he hit the most homes runs. I'm pretty sure these guys make more than enough money for the jobs they have.

A nice gesture, don't get me wrong, but I would have given the entire winnings to the Vets. Now THAT would have been GREAT.

Pete Alonzo is a rookie, he makes the lowest amount as compared to the semi and super stars. Sure the starting rookie salary is still more than any of us probably makes. He will get his big pay day down the road. He is splitting $100,000 between two charities, The Wounded Warriors and Tunnels to Towers (a NYC charity). I think it’s very generous of him.