Respected Contributor

Besides the Blackhawks being eliminated and looking bad!

I get frustrated watching what I consider too many passes of the puck in the opponent zone.  I see this with teams other than the Blackhawks, like tonite with Oilers vs Sharks.  Sharks really needed a goal to tie and not face elimination.  They pulled the goalie and had 6 players to 5.  They kept the puck in the Oilers zone very well, but only shot it a few times.  Other time they just kept passing it and no one took a shot.  I get that there are shots that are better than others!  However, even in playing for their playoff life, they just kept passing it.

I yell at the Blackhawks games all the time!  I keep yelling "take a shot!" at the television. I have been watching hockey for a long time, and I feel this is a more current trend.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Besides the Blackhawks being eliminated and looking bad!

I get frustrated watching what I consider too many passes of the puck in the opponent zone.  I see this with teams other than the Blackhawks, like tonite with Oilers vs Sharks.  Sharks really needed a goal to tie and not face elimination.  They pulled the goalie and had 6 players to 5.  They kept the puck in the Oilers zone very well, but only shot it a few times.  Other time they just kept passing it and no one took a shot.  I get that there are shots that are better than others!  However, even in playing for their playoff life, they just kept passing it.

I yell at the Blackhawks games all the time!  I keep yelling "take a shot!" at the television. I have been watching hockey for a long time, and I feel this is a more current trend.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

As you probably know, hockey has been, and still is, a big part of my life since Gordie Howe started his Pro career here in the 1940's. I was very young, but I do remember seeing him play.

Having been involved in almost every facet of amateur hockey, from playing/being a ref/running and adult league for over 52 years, and every position involved in running a league, which I do by myself, nothing delegated to anyone.

Having been on the ice in hundreds of games, the view of what you see and do not see from the stands or on tv, are not even close. While I too think some players over pass the puck, many that look like a player should "shoot the d* mn puck already", from fans view? Not the same as at ice level.

This is not a "current trend". I remember some fans back in the 1960's hollering the same "SHOOT/SHOOT the puck". Now with all players sacrificing their bodies to block a shot, the shooting lanes are not often there. Throw in the bigger goalies/playing the right angle, and a player can see very little open net, if any.

I watched the last part of the Sharks game and with the goalie pulled, a player, especially the ones playing the points, have to be even more careful with their shot choices. Sure, they need to "shoot", but shooting just to shoot?  Not always the best or right choice.

Frustration during a hockey game for fans and players will always be a, not so happy, part of hockey games at all levels. I can tell you from my on ice experiences over many decades, what the fans see, and what those on the ice see, are a whole different world.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Yes, my husband gets frustrated with one of our teams(we root for quite a few) passing the puck back and forth instead of shooting. Luckily, they are advancing to the second round. This year and last, I have become a hockey fan, even more than football, and we are rooting for the "underdogs" as we have lived in a few states that have teams in the playoffs........only one team, because of their so called"star" would we like to see eliminated. I do not know all the rules, but watching all these playoff games  has made our tv time a lot more fun!!!

Good luck to all the teams and fans!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hockey frustration

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  I hear your frustration.  If I had a dollar for every time I yelled, "SHOOT THE PUCK"  I would be a millionaire. LOL

@hckynut  John is right.  What your team's players see on the ice level is very different than our view as spectators.   He is also right about some players over passing  the puck.   Does that stop me from yelling at the tv?  Nope. LOL

John and I root for the NY Rangers.  I have a hockey thread here in Sports.  Please join in. Smiley Happy  Pick a team if your favorite has been eliminated.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

I can certainly accept that it looks different on the ice than on television.

However, they do look at replays of the games many times!  So then, they get to see it from a television perspective.

I think most fans would appreciate the concept of taking a chance and missing rather than the endless passing we see!  When a shot is taken, there is a chance it will make it into the net.  Or, that someone by the net will be able to get it in, or just a crazy bounce.  No shots, waiting for the "right" shot gets you nothing!  Other than maintaining possession, which the Sharks did very well.  If you are in a fight for your season's LIFE, my instinct screams to take the shot!

Perhaps players are coached this way, and they are doing right by coaching.  With the ability to see the game from television over and over, you would think it might tweak another strategy!!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

To (roughly) quote Wayne Gretzky,

"100% of shots NOT taken do not go in"

Although I am not his biggest fan, I do believe these words say it all.

This is the MAIN reason, I believe, that my beloved RedWings are golfing now

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it