Esteemed Contributor

Good News - Nats Williams and entire coaching staff fired

Anyone who has watched this team implode doesn't need the details.  To me, it started when he pulled Zimm in the Giants playoff game last year.  I will resurrect my Nats hat now - I stopped wearing it as a protest against the poor management I endured night after night.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Good News - Nats Williams and entire coaching staff fired

Funny how he was Manager of the Year last year, and fired this year.  But it seemed time for him to go - nothwithstanding the General Manager's moves that seemed to undermine him (e.g. Papelbon).

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Funny how he was Manager of the Year last year, and fired this year.  But it seemed time for him to go - nothwithstanding the General Manager's moves that seemed to undermine him (e.g. Papelbon).

It's the old what have you done for me lately? I'm not a Nats fan but have to admit he had to go. I still feel bad about anyone losing his job. I wonder if he had any years left on his contract, that would soften the blow!

Esteemed Contributor

It's my understanding that he had another year under contract.  Not happy to see anyone unemployed without choosing it (like he didn't make any money) but it's about winning (or at least competitive ball), and you would have thought he had the tools.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Two years too late for me.

#TeamFrank

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Indeed!  I knew you would chime in, eventually!!!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Anyone who has watched this team implode doesn't need the details.  To me, it started when he pulled Zimm in the Giants playoff game last year.  I will resurrect my Nats hat now - I stopped wearing it as a protest against the poor management I endured night after night.

I forgot to say that I protested Manny Acta's seasons when they got rid of Frank.  That was the first mistake they made.

They have this "thing" where they want a young manager because they want a young team.  But every time they get a "young" manager, it's an epic fail.

I only came back for Davey Johnson because I thought he could do something with this team.  And he did.

Best seasons:

Frank Robinson

Davey Johnson

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

interestingly, cal ripken jr has expressed some interest in the position.....if asked.....

@VaBelle35 .....and of course, both of the managers you mentioned are former orioles. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Tim Kurkjian was on Tony Kornheiser's radio show this week and he is a friend of Cal's.  He said that if Cal is asked and takes the job, we shouldn't be worried that he's a first time manager and than some players have not converted to manager well.  He said when Cal does something, he gives it 1000% and he does it right.  Cal would end up giving up all of the programs he runs right now because he couldn't do both.  That may be the only thing that stops him from taking the job.

#saveuscal

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Nice fake out by the Nats, throw out a Bud Black rumor to get everyone buzzing and then sign Dusty Baker at the 11th hour.

#BringBackFrankRobinson

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN