Honored Contributor

Already several upsets in the women's section.  I expect this to be a very interesting Grand Slam!

Honored Contributor

I love to watch tennis, but some of the announcers almost put me to sleep....Paul Annacone, Caroline Wozniacki and Martina N. But I'll watch anyway!

Honored Contributor

There is definitely a realignment in women's tennis right now.  I have my eye on Jessica Pegula as the best hope from the US. 

Respected Contributor

I agree this is going to be a very interesting slam. I much prefer watching women's tennis than men's.

Respected Contributor

Re: French Open Tennis

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

I love to watch tennis, but some of the announcers almost put me to sleep....Paul Annacone, Caroline Wozniacki and Martina N. But I'll watch anyway

The announcers don't bother me much but I tell you what makes me turn the channel...and it breaks my heart to have to do so. That OBNOXIOUS grunting that gets so completely out of hand. Yes, some is to be expected, but then there are players who from the first ball are letting out sounds like toad frogs in heat. 🐸😲🐸 Can you tell you don't want to get me started on this sore subject. HA! Drives me insane and ruins the game!    

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped   Completely agree!  I mute it when players like Azerenka are on court.  To me the worst was Sharapova.  Never watched her matches because of her "sound effects."  Don't miss her at all!

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@pupwhipped   Completely agree!  I mute it when players like Azerenka are on court.  To me the worst was Sharapova.  Never watched her matches because of her "sound effects."  Don't miss her at all!

Yes, @kaydee50, Sharapova was a total no watch for me, too! But there's one gal currently who is the worst. I "think" it is Sara Sorribes Tormo. I could have that mixed up and have the wrong name...but I know her when I hear her! She's the one who inspired my toads in heat comment. I don't know how the other ladies can stand to play her. AWFUL! 

All joking aside, I truly do feel like this is ruining the great sport of tennis and it makes me both sad and mad. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 

I to love Womens tennis . I believe the 1st Womens Tennis player that I remember who grunted consistently was Monica Seles .

Agree the grunting is very distracting to those watching.

" Top women's tennis player Monica Seles is stabbed by a deranged German man during a match in Hamburg. The assailant, a fan of German tennis star Steffi Graf, apparently hoped that by injuring Seles his idol Graf would be able to regain her No ".

Respected Contributor

I watched Monica Seles play Steffi Graf at a tournament at the McFarlin Tennis Center in San Antonio. They were battling for number 1, so both entered to get the points.  The grandstands were small so we were sitting courtside. Seles took the first two games and then Steffi found her forehand. The first time she connected correctly in the third game there was an loud gasp from the crowd. I have never seen anything so powerful up close and personal before or after. Both players were on that day. We have attended several professional tournaments, but that match was my all-time favorite.

The grunting does not bother me. I listen carefully, and it seems to be a tell. The grunts are not the same with every shot. It seems they would help the opponent with their timing. The fans' talking and moving around the grandstands is much more offensive to me than anything the players do on court.

Honored Contributor

I predict a Rafa win in the championship match.  And then maybe a retirement announcement?