Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 I just prefer watching entire events.  Same for Equestrian and Half Pipe.  What I hate is tuning in to watch a favorite sprort and then having to sit thru luge or cross country skiing to see even the few competitors they want to show because they jump around.  That's how they usually do the Olympics.  With the app, I was able to watch what sport and how much of that sport I wanted to watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 

DVR everything I watch, which includes the US Nationals broadcast. Still catching up on our DVR'd hockey games, so will watch this figure skating, hopefully sometime soon. 

Love and appreciate all forms of skating on ice, including Speed Skating. They all require a lot of skill at the Top Levels of each Sport.

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

The European Championship women's free skate will be aired at 1:30 pm ET on the E! channel.

Trusted Contributor

Those Russian women will be hard to beat at the Olympics,  I can't believe the quality skaters they continue to roll out each year.  I think they must has like a Zombie machine and I don't know that these girls are even human.  It is unbelieveable the jumps they can now do.   I do like the ones that can also present a good skate and not just go from one jump to another.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Figure Skating

[ Edited ]

@TurnerGal 

I have skated with and watched a young man who was 15 years old when I got back to skating. He is a figure skater that moved here from California. 

He has competed and trained with some of the best in his age group, 1 of  which has won the Men's World Championship. I also stick around after public skate and watch his routines.

I know as much about figure skating terms and how the judges score points as he knows about the hockey rule book. We koke about that quite a bit when he is explaining a sow-cow/lutz's and triple toe loops.

I understand when I see a triple he does and quads when he does them, but that's about it. He missed the last Olympic Team by 1 skater, that is how good he skates. He has told me many times that the way scoring is designed, you have to do the triple and quad jumps if you want to place in or close to the top.

He doesn't like it and I don't like watching it either. I prefer more of the skating aspects of these athletes, not so much the moves, that to me, have more to do with gymnastics, that pure ice skating skills.

He tried explaining the number of points for each jump, but he lost me. I only know what I see, and like to see performed by great skaters. As a hockey skater, I understand the skills it takes to do certain things on skates, and how beat up their bodies get trying to perfect them.

This young man is amazing to watch and at Pubic Skating, where I talk with him, he is limited by the rink on what he can and cannot do. I still however watch him practice those triple and quad jumps, and feel the pain myself when he misses them.

Thought I would add to what you said from what I see and have learned from this young man, the little I know about figure skating. I don't and never have had those moves, but I have skated long enough to know skating talent, figure or hockey, from my many experiences being the judge of hockey skaters skills, and what level they belong.

hckynut 🥅🏒 ⛸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn Thanks interesting info,  what if the name of the skater you watched at the rink?

Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal wrote:

@hckynutjohn Thanks interesting info,  what if the name of the skater you watched at the rink?

@TurnerGal 

Next time I see him at the rink I will ask him. Don't like giving out personal information without asking the person. Going Wednesday, but he isn't always there at Public Skate.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yesterday I watched the European Championships on NBC.  That Kamila (sp??) 15 year old was spectacular.  Sorry to say the U.S.does not have a chance of winning a medal.  Hopefully all 3 Americans will wind up in the top 10 at least.