Honored Contributor

@cowboy sam,

I thought so too-was wishing we could just hear the beautiful Starry Starry Night while Vincent Zhou skated-beautiful song chosen for a beautiful dance!

I was surprised that Tara was talking so much esp during this. I like her and Johnny Weir but it did seem like she was talking too much. I don't need to hear every sowcow triple lux rotated correctly or whatever. Maybe she feels she wants people to know or thinks we want to know that she is aware of everything in their program and we are interested in how they execute their jumps. No, I can see pretty much and don't care about the technical perfection or not.

So that was a shame because it really took away from the performances for the listening viewers.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  Geez watching Vincent Zhou skate to Josh Groban singing Starry Starry Night gave me goosebumps!  It was just magical.

I just posted on another skating post that I ordered tickets to the Stars on Ice show that is coming to Boston at the end of April.  Can't wait to go!  I love the skating! 

Honored Contributor

For those who complained that Tara and Johnny talk too much, I guess you don't remember ****** Button and sometimes Peggy Fleming who both did commentary for figure skating events.  They would mention every move i.e., "double axel, sit spin" etc.etc.  I think T&J for the most part do an excellent job although I do think Johnny talks too fast but IMO he is very knowledgeable.

Honored Contributor

I find Johnny more knowlegeable than Tara.  I'm not a fan of either though.  This should be the skater's time to shine; they (Johnny & Tara) already had their time in the spotlight.

I hope I can find the Olympics on my tablet agian this year.  It was MUCH better. You could watch entire events rather than just jumping around between venues and only showing the top 4 or 5 that they think will be in medal contention.  They also used different commentators that didnt' talk so much.  It was so much more enjoyable. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

For those who complained that Tara and Johnny talk too much, I guess you don't remember ****** Button and sometimes Peggy Fleming who both did commentary for figure skating events.  They would mention every move i.e., "double axel, sit spin" etc.etc.  I think T&J for the most part do an excellent job although I do think Johnny talks too fast but IMO he is very knowledgeable.

Yes, and we complained about them too, but at least you could hear the music they were skating to. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

My pet peeve also not being able to watch all the skaters  instead of only 4 or 5 like you said!

More competion Ice skating to be on in less than 25 min. on tv.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Wow did you just hear the other guy say to Johnny weir-"less talking cause I know you like the music,"

and Johnny said thank you.

Yes, especially at the end of the program as it reaches a crescendo!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@cowboy sam   Personally the 10 or 12 skaters they do show is more than enough for me.  I'm not interested in seeing skaters who have absolutely no chance of winning and in some cases, IMO, are skating so poorly I feel bad for them.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@cowboy sam   Personally the 10 or 12 skaters they do show is more than enough for me.  I'm not interested in seeing skaters who have absolutely no chance of winning and in some cases, IMO, are skating so poorly I feel bad for them.

I was at Nationals in the stands when they were in Nashville before in 1997, and Tara was not on people's radar to win.  Michelle Kwan was expected to win again that year, but she fell.  

Lipinski didn't expect to be much of a challenge for Kwan. Said her coach Richard Callaghan before the competition when asked about her chances to win: "Oh, no. That's not our goal."

But Lipinski landed seven triple jumps, including a triple loop-triple loop combination, something never done by a U.S. woman, to fuel what became an intense, but short-lived rivalry.

I remember that program, Tara just this tiny skater in a bright yellow costume skating to Walking on Sunshine.  The arena erupted.  I would feel robbed had I been watching on TV and they didn't carry her short program because she wasn't on their radar to win.

And, how about Jason Brown?  Nobody ever expects him to win because he doesn't have the quads.  But, man, the guy is a fun skater to watch.  He just exudes the joy of skating.  I'd much rather watch that than a technically perfect program full of quads with no feeling in the skating.

Sometimes the media get it all wrong.  They pick their favorite and create all these fluff pieces around them, and then they're left with nothing when they fail and someone unexpected comes out of the woodwork.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  It's been my experience that TV has done a good job of showing outstanding performances regardless if the skater is a "contender" or not.  And since JB is a favorite of the announcers, they always show him.  

I've been to skating competitons and sat through the interminable early skaters..

Personally, I record all the skating competitions and skip most of the performances until the final 6.