Honored Contributor

Re: Eagle fans and players

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

Full disclosure here LOL  I was born and raised in NJ, Dad was a Giants fan and I remember the Broadway Bullies, Kate Smith, the Rangers rivalries, Snowballs at Santa etc so NY and Phillie were always rivals. I was lucky enough to move to SF Bay Area , and while the Giants were still my team, it was the era of Joe Montana and who didn't love Joe, Jerry, Dwight, Ronnie and it was a great time. (You can keep pretty boy Tommy, Joe will always be the man)  Well guess where I landed after CA?  Dallas! Cowboy country as they began their rise with the triplets. It was another fun ride to watch but still wore my Giants gear when out and about, especially when they played each other. Never a Cowboy fan, always making excuses, they never lost a game because of their play, yea right LOL. I have seen all the rivalries over many years. @Spurt  @gardenman. Enjoyed some more than others and never disliked (hated) any teams except Patriots and Cowboys. 

But I still think it was really bush league what the Eagles coach did. Now let's hope Washington takes a page from Eli and the Giants's book and beats Brady.  Enjoy the playoffs.  

@mspatmac 

I'm proud of you being loyal to your Giants and even wearing your Giants gear in Cowboy Country Woman Very Happy

My family was originally from the Northeast and we moved to Texas when we were young kids.....

I've always loved football as did the rest of my family, BUT it was funny how none of us ever liked the Cowboys---no matter how hard the local natives tried to indoctrinate us.... I never liked the Cowboy players nor the braggart organization (first Tex Schramm now Jerry Jones)....I gave my loyalty to the Redskins, my sister went with the Giants (she loved the players and in later years her favorites were--Tiki Barber, Eli, and Victor Cruz) and my brother went with the Rams.....It creates some interesting times especially during the NFL season when we get together with cousins who are die-hard Cowboy fans...LOL!!!

I did like Joe Montana and owe him a debt of gratitude for "the catch"....or "the throw" as another Joe Montana fan l know likes to put it .....😉

Thanks for your good wishes! As a long time Redskin fan my team has experienced nothing but drama and bad news so its nice to see something positive happen and a bit of hope that Rivera has brought to my team.....Take care!

Im not a fan of Robert Kraft and his team either....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@mspatmac  Just an aside, Joe Montana was always Brady's hero growing up. Didn't read your whole post, just wanted to point that out. 

Hi fellow from NJ.  Yes I did know that, but I still never cared for him.

Honored Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:
Remember the saying What comes around goes around.You are lucky the Dallas Cowboys were not in the Ny Giants situation.Jerry Jones would of taken matters in his own hands.
This was the worst insult I ever saw to the NFL

@heart of savino 

i will say i agree with you......and i dont think it was just about getting a better draft pick. i found it to be shameful and am hoping that sometime down the road that teams are fined for things  like this......"tanking."  it was probably the WORST nfl game i have ever watched.

(as an aside, i dont get the extreme hatred of the cowboys. rivalries i understand, hating cheaters i understand.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

If any fanbase had a right to be upset by what happened on Sunday, it was the Dolphins. They had a 10-6 record and just needed the Steelers to beat Cleveland to be in the playoffs. The Steelers rested most of their starters instead of playing them and the Browns got in while the Dolphins got sent home with a 10-6 record. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

To be honest the EAGLES game should of been played at 1PM the same time of the GIANTS  game.this way everyone would of been concentrating on just doing there job

not scoreboard watching.all games on the final day of the season were either played at 1pm and 4pm.this game should of never been put on  prime time late night as it was.

I read JERRY JONES  of the cowboys said if this happen to his team all hell would of broke out and JONES is a very powerful man. the MARA  family of the GIANTS are a very low key family  and quiet

Listen the  GIANTS  are not a good football team and still not sure about DANIEL JONES but the GIANTS against  BRADY would of been  very entertaining.

Esteemed Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

To be honest the EAGLES game should of been played at 1PM the same time of the GIANTS  game.this way everyone would of been concentrating on just doing there job

not scoreboard watching.all games on the final day of the season were either played at 1pm and 4pm.this game should of never been put on  prime time late night as it was.

I read JERRY JONES  of the cowboys said if this happen to his team all hell would of broke out and JONES is a very powerful man. the MARA  family of the GIANTS are a very low key family  and quiet

Listen the  GIANTS  are not a good football team and still not sure about DANIEL JONES but the GIANTS against  BRADY would of been  very entertaining.

@heart of savino  Thanks for starting a fun thread. You're right about game time, problem solved.  I'm not sure about Daniel Jones either, but hope springs eternal.  @gardenman  good point about the Steelers,  huge impact on the playoffs. How could that have been prevented?

As far as Jerry is concerned, living in the Dallas area it would have been incredible to watch the reaction from Jerry, local sports media and the fans. A circus for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

As a long time Eagles fan, I have to say that 4th quarter mess on Sunday night was disgusting.   When players are on the field, putting their bodies on the line to give 110%, it is disrespectful to those players.  Sure, over the years we've all seen players not play up to their best; however, this was management's way of getting a better draft pick.  I don't care what Doug said, he was not coaching to win.  He has made some questionable calls during the season, but, not kicking that field goal at the end of the 3rd, inside the 5, to tie the game, said it all.  This was a winnable game!!!  The rivalry between the Eagles and Giants is well documented.   However, the Birds vs the Cowboys is always a grudge match.  How could management or anyone in this organization hand the Cowboys a playoff spot?????  So disrespectful to our players.

Imo, this MO had Howie written all over it!!!  And, regardless of 6th or 9th pick, this team needs a lot of help.  If Howie can't put together offensive and defensive lines that are decent, a 6th round pick instead of a win on Sunday wasn't worth tanking the game.

Valued Contributor

how about CARSON WENTZ as the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS QB next year.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone! Have not posted for quite a while. But wanted to give my opinion on this.

I was disgusted by Pederson pulling Hurts. Hurts was the only reason we had any points! He was the one who was able to dodge and weave his way around the stellar defense of the WFT and score two touchdowns! And if he had been left in the game, there is a good likelihood that he would have scored again and possibly won the game! When you look at the number of starters who did not even play, it was a miracle that Hurts did what he did.

As to why Lurie and Roseman told Pederson to tank is an open question. I have some ideas but will not get into it here.

For the most part per the polls taken by the local networks, the Eagles fans are ready to move on from Wentz and embrace Hurts. I am among that group. And last night on our local news there was a story of a popular sports shop that has already put Wentz merchandise on sale at 50% off. I think Wentz has never been able to get past Foles being the MVP of the Super Bowl. Seeing that statue outside the stadium of Foles and Pederson that honors the Philly Special is a constant reminder that Wentz always sees. And when they drafted Hurts, it apparently bothered Wentz so much that he totally imploded this year. His numbers in stat after stat were among the worst in the NFL.

I think the best thing for both Wentz and the Eagles is for Wentz to go to a team like the Colts where he could start fresh and be reunited with Frank Reich. Another possibility would be Chicago if they parted ways with Trubisky...and Foles!😉 Wentz could work with former Eagle coaches Nagy and DeFilipppo who were big supporters of Wentz being drafted here in Philadelphia.

Want to say a big hi to Spurt! Good luck with the WFT!! I know the win the other night was not how you wanted it to be, but you have one of the best defenses in the NFL! Have a hunch Tom Brady is going to be running for his life from Chase Young! Hope Washington wins! Really admire Ron Rivera and Alex Smith.

Sunshine 45...hope the Ravens go all the way to the Super Bowl! And win!

And to gardenman, from reading here I know you are among the 20 to 30% of Eagle fans who, per the polls, still support Wentz. I hope that Wentz does well in the future. It looks like he will be leaving Philadelphia...but wherever he winds up, let's hope he can recapture the self-confidence that he had before and play well again.

Happy New Year to everyone!! Have not posted in almost two years but was curious about what was being said here about the Sunday game!! And after reading the comments, I couldn't resist posting!!😉

Honored Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

how about CARSON WENTZ as the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS QB next year.

It's possible, but the price would be high. I doubt the Eagles would take less than a first round pick plus more to trade Wentz. The early asking price is likely to be two first round picks. The Patriots, Colts, Bears, Dolphins, Jets, and more could all be possible suitors. Wentz is a proven commodity and good QBs are hard to find. Jalen Hurts does most of his damage with his legs right now. His passing stats weren't great. (52% completion percentage compared to Wentz at 57.4% this year and 62.7 over his career.) Can/will Hurts get better as a passer? Probably. Just six passing touchdowns and four interceptions isn't great though for Hurts.

Both Philly QBs got let down by their receivers this year. Zach Ertz had by far his worst year of his career. JJ Arcega-Whiteside, last year's second round pick had just four catches over the whole season for 85 yards. Not good. Rookie Jalen Reagor had 31 catches for 396 yards. DeSean Jackson only had 14 catches for 256 yards. Alshon Jeffery had 6 catches for 115 yards. The top receiver was Travis Fulgham who was a free agent pickup four weeks in who led the Eagles with 38 receptions for 538 yards. This was not a good year to be an Eagles QB. You had no one who could get open and catch the ball. There were no playmakers at receiver.

The good news is you had a running back who averaged 5.3 yards a carry, so you could run the ball down your opponent's throats. Only we didn't. The most carries Miles Sanders had in a game was twenty in week two. Add in an ever changing offensive line that couldn't pass protect, and no QB could be successful. Even the rare bright spot in Travis Fulgham was dimmed when after leading the league in receptions over his first four games, he was benched in favor of Alshon Jeffery.

The Eagles were just a mess on offense this year. Bad players, bad playcalling, poor execution, endless injuries, all made whoever the QB was look worse than they truly are.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!