Respected Contributor

Best laugh of the Olympics.  Russians caught doping in curling.  

Esteemed Contributor

Happens every time - some country cheats and that's why I have absolutely no interest in the events any more. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I think they should drink beer while curling.  It just looks like that kinda sport.

Honored Contributor

@Elri wrote:

I think they should drink beer while curling.  It just looks like that kinda sport.

There was a photo online of a Canadian curler a few years back who was smoking while curling, so drinking beer while curling isn't that far fetched. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't "get" what's funny about it. Being that it was a Russian athlete, I am not a bit surprised. I AM surprised it's only one, so far.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a big laugh over this. Dude, it's curling -- it's not like you're putting out a lot of physical effort....

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, the effort it must take to sweep!!!!!

Seriously, doping is a real problem.  Some will do anything to win.  Sadly, the Olympics are not the sporting events of long ago.  It used to be important to represent your country.  Now it's all about money and endorsements.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlakewrote:

We had a big laugh over this. Dude, it's curling -- it's not like you're putting out a lot of physical effort....

I have been watching most of the curling events....and my husband walked in the room and said the same thing about the Russians being caught doping and he was laughing too because he said it was just curling.....and i reminded him how much strength and energy it took for those working the ice sweepers time after time after time..they put everything into it.......def seems to require strength and endurance

Frequent Contributor

It's funny because it is so ironic that anyone would "dope" for curling since it doesn't require great strength or stamina.   It is more a sport of precision and strategy.   However having experience with international competition and Olympic rules, it is illegal to take so much as an aspirin.  

Valued Contributor

Just this afternoon this movie was recommended to me.  

Icarus is a 2017 documentary film by Bryan Fogel which chronicles Fogel exploring the option of doping to win an amateur cycling race and happening upon a major international doping scandal when he asks for the help of Grigory Rodchenkov, the head of the Russian anti-doping laboratory.

It explains in detail that everyone cheats and how.  The Russians just got caught.