Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Think We’ll Have a Baseball Season??

As much as I love my Cubbies, I think the greed on both sides has gotten out of hand.  Baseball when I was growing up was a family sport where a family could afford to go to a ballgame.  That has not been the case in a long time so quite frankly i gave up caring a long time ago.

This is NFL and NHL as well but I could not care less about those 2 sports.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

As much as I love my Mets and miss the games A LOT, I'm for not having baseball this year. I feel like every achievement of MLB teams will have a footnote attached to it- and the sports critics will have a field day (pun intended! Woman Happy). I don't want the season diminshed in any way- I'm for starting fresh in 2021!

@Ibby114 : I'm a Mets fan too, and l understand your point. But l miss baseball SO much, that l feel that any baseball season we could have-- no matter how watered-down-- would be better than none at all. And l'm not patient enough to wait another 10 months. Woman Sad

@handygal2  Being a die-hard Mets fan, I'vel learned to become VERY PATIENT over the years!! Woman LOL LGM! Hearttug-mcgraw-ya gotta believe.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

As much as I love my Mets and miss the games A LOT, I'm for not having baseball this year. I feel like every achievement of MLB teams will have a footnote attached to it- and the sports critics will have a field day (pun intended! Woman Happy). I don't want the season diminshed in any way- I'm for starting fresh in 2021!

@Ibby114 : I'm a Mets fan too, and l understand your point. But l miss baseball SO much, that l feel that any baseball season we could have-- no matter how watered-down-- would be better than none at all. And l'm not patient enough to wait another 10 months. Woman Sad

@handygal2  Being a die-hard Mets fan, I'vel learned to become VERY PATIENT over the years!! Woman LOL LGM! Hearttug-mcgraw-ya gotta believe.jpg

@Ibby114 : Touché!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I was optimistic, but not so much now. The players still want their full salaries and that's not going to be possible playing in empty stadiums. Baseball's not the most lucrative sport these days and playing a half-season in empty stadiums doesn't help the revenue stream. Barring a big change in positions, it's not happening.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this standoff will be worse for MLB than the baseball strike.

They are going to lose a lot of fans over money again.

As an HR person who works in a union environment, I get the business piece of this and I understand where both sides are coming from.  (However, I do not understand not paying minor leaguers their stipends.  That is pocket change and a really really really bad move on everyone's part.)

As a fan, they need to shut up and play ball already and take the loss like every other entity out there that is re-opening and taking a loss as a result.

Places like Disney and Graceland have already said that they would have a better financial year if they stay closed as it will cost more to reopen than they are projected to take in, but staying closed is not an option for fans and they don't want to upset their fan base.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

How funny.  As soon as I typed that, the scene about the strike came up in the ESPN 30 for 30 about the 1998 Home Run Race

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Is anyone happy with the 60 game season we're going to get? I am so over it, I don't care at this point. I am a Mets fan, we will play the Yankees 6 games out of the 60! I hate the Subway Series, 6 games when there are only 60 games is too much. I'm realistic, the Mets will be lucky to win 2 games. So I hear the Wilpons are desperate to sell the team, they could have sold before Covid-19 and have gotten a tidy sum, now the team has been devalued. I hate the Wilpons, they run a New York team like it's a small town market.

Honored Contributor

I just posted in the 2019 MLB thread that with all the people sitting out this season as well as the 4 I heard tested positive for Covid-19, I have a feeling that MLB will reverse their decision soon.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

Nice to see some fellow Mets fans. Hope they come back soon. My family and I agree that this probably would have been the year they won the World Series. We can dream can’t we? 😊⚾️