Valued Contributor

Re: Do they whip the race horses?

@Big Joanie wrote:

@ lovemygrandsand @Quse

Might it be true that both statements are true .....??

And frankly what difference does it make ....

Both statements are not true.

"Money is the root of all evil" . Think about it. If actual currency is the root of ALL evil, why do so many people have it in their wallets right now? Boy, are they headed for certain downfall, no way around it..(sarcasm)
Why do people go to a job to get this evil stuff?

You're probably using "the root of all evil" to buy products from QVC.
That's a lot of potential evil going around....wow...certain doom (again, sarcasm)

Context matters.

Super Contributor

WHATEVER .....

Honored Contributor

What @gardenman said.

If I owned one of those multi million dollar race horses and knew it had been whipped, someone else would be getting a whipping that day!

There was a horse years ago that won by about 15 lengths and the jockey was criticized for whipping his horse.   This was way back before TV cameras like we have today.    The jockey said he never whipped the horse, he just loved to run.

The other jockeys corroborated his story.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

So maybe the horses are not being whipped during the race.  I can accept that as the truth.

Sure... not when the lights and cameras and thousands of human eyes are watching.  But where oh where do those creatures get the fear of the whip by it just being held.....

I know how much people love their traditions and how hard or impossible it is to see what is really going on.  I firmly beleive this is cruelty no doubt about it in my opinion. And for the love of money, it is not going away any time soon.

@PhilaLady1   You have a vivid imagination. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@gardenman

I work ten hours a day five days a week. Given the choice between that or being free most of the time but having to run a race every couple of weeks that would only take a few minutes of time, I'd likely opt for the race. "You might get hurt." I'll take my chances. Sadly no one's willing to pay me to watch me race. Even plow horses got most of their lives free from the plow. Fields aren't plowed on a daily basis. In early spring they'd be kept pretty busy, but that would end soon enough once the crops were planted.

^^You and so many others. There are people in their 70's still working labor jobs to make ends meet. I love animals too but prospective is needed. 

Honored Contributor

I noticed that in the Kentucky Derby yesterday and did not like it one bit.  Yes, it is abuse no matter how you look at it. 

I wish I would have seen the last race for Secretariat when he was over 30 lengths ahead which was quite amazing.  The derby yesterday reminded me of Secretariat.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength