Trusted Contributor

Do they whip the race horses?

I don't understand. The jockeys seem to be whipping those poor horses. Is it possible it doesn't hurt them? If I were a horse I would just quit--no faster running for me. Say this isn't abuse!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Do they whip the race horses?

They do beat them with whips.  I stopped watching a long time ago after they put down a filly because she broke her leg trying to keep up with the other horses.  Remember Barbaro

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Animals are abused in racing...sometimes entertainment is not entertaining if you peel back the curtain.

If you want to read the truth....take a look at the article in Huffington Post, The Atlantic,  or PETA...not just horse racing, but Greyhounds are terribly abused also.   

Respected Contributor

They are required to carry a whip when they ride. There are also strict guidlines regarding using it and if they are suspected of abusing that then there will be an official investigation. If a race horse or any horse for that matter is trained properly all they have to do is bring the hip through the air back behind them and the horse will automatically respond with more speed and they don't even have to actually touch the horse. Of course there are jockeys who have abused the whip through the years and that is why they now have strict guidelines regarding use of them. A good jockey will use his legs and his hands to get the horse to move out faster when needed.

Trusted Contributor

Wonder what makes them automatically pick up speed when they see the whip in the air?  Reminds me of my grandfather's dog, who would run as soon as he picked up a rolled up newspaper! He'd obviously been hurt with it before!

Honored Contributor

Anyone who has ever ridden a pokey horse knows that all you have to do is pick a switch off of a tree and the horse will immediately pick up its gait.  Don't use it, just hold it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

No, they do NOT beat or whip the horses in the race.

That is a common misconception and fallacy that a lot of people have.

They tap the horse, not beat it or whip it.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I can't even stand to watch horse races!  It is so cruel!  My sweet greyhound had three years of hell - she has many scars on her from injuries from racing.  I look at her sometimes and try to imagine what she went through, living in a bare crate stacked on top of other crates for three years.  She has a wonderful home and is a happy girl now.  Wish I could afford to rescue more.  She's such a happy and grateful girl.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So maybe the horses are not being whipped during the race.  I can accept that as the truth.

Sure... not when the lights and cameras and thousands of human eyes are watching.  But where oh where do those creatures get the fear of the whip by it just being held.....

I know how much people love their traditions and how hard or impossible it is to see what is really going on.  I firmly beleive this is cruelty no doubt about it in my opinion. And for the love of money, it is not going away any time soon.

Super Contributor

@PhilaLady1.....One thing I know for absolute certainty.. Money is the

root of all evil....

i was never so happy as the day the Ringleys Circus shut down ....