Respected Contributor

Re: Cleveland Indians changing their name

I don't see what's wrong with the name Cleveland Indians. What's bad about it? There is not a thing deragatory in the name at all.

What about the Minnesota Vikings? Are people native to that region of the world going to get upset?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nitefall wrote:

Some things should remain the same. I'm sorry I DO NOT think it's didrespectful to use Indians as a name for a baseball team or any other team.  I hope the management reconsiders this one. INDIANS is a beloved name in Cleveland and should remain the same.

Things are getting a little out of hand with these name changes!

Pretty sure that the indigenous population in this country does not share your sentiment concerning portraying them as a cartoon mascot or even the use of the word "Indians" for that matter. #notyourmascot

Respected Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Nitefall wrote:

Some things should remain the same. I'm sorry I DO NOT think it's didrespectful to use Indians as a name for a baseball team or any other team.  I hope the management reconsiders this one. INDIANS is a beloved name in Cleveland and should remain the same.

Pretty sure that the indigenous population in this country do not share your sentiment concerning portraying them as a cartoon mascot or even the use of the word "Indians" for that matter. #notyourmascot

They got rid of the mascot awhile ago.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with the name Cleveland Indians. What's bad about it? There is not a thing deragatory in the name at all.

What about the Minnesota Vikings? Are people native to that region of the world going to get upset?

@Ladybug724  The Vikings are dead.

Trusted Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Nitefall wrote:

Pretty sure that the indigenous population in this country do not share your sentiment concerning portraying them as a cartoon mascot or even the use of the word "Indians" for that matter. #notyourmascot

They got rid of the mascot awhile ago.

Yes, and that is a step in the right direction. That said, the use of the name "Indians" still carries the inference of indigenous people as a sports mascot and also of being given a label that they did not choose for themselves and many find offensive.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Their descendants aren't

Trusted Contributor

@Knit-Chick 

I have a lot of Indians gear with Chief Wahoo as well. I'll continue to wear it. The newer stuff with just the "C" or the "I" just isn't the same. My own Mother asked me what the "C" stood for on my shirt. 🤪I just hope they don't go back to being the Cleveland Spiders. I hate spiders... 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Nitefall wrote:

@Nitefall I would like to hear this from an actual Indian.

You can find lots of them. When the Redskins changed their name a Washington Post poll of 500 Native Americans found that 90% had no issue with the name Redskins, 1% had no opinion, and only 9% felt the name was offensive. It's hard to find anything that doesn't offend more than 9% of people these days.

@gardenman  Well thank you for that I guess I am wrong. I was hoping our Native American oops, Indian poster we have here would comment. Yes, I guess everyone is offended these days. Best to just keep treating everyone no matter who they are like they have been always treated. To the back of the bus you all. I'm sure many of posters here would be happy with that.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Their descendants aren't

@Ladybug724  You're saying this is the same as Indians? Indians are here not the ancestors.

Respected Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Their descendants aren't

Amen!