Honored Contributor

We were changing channels yesterday and came across this competition.  Think it was Wisconsin that they were doing this.  They did things with saws and power saws and axes that was amazing!!! I'd be afraid of losing a leg, foot or arm with.  We couldn't tear ourselves away from the screen.  It was amazing though. Have you seen or been in this type of competition?  Like the guys who do the log rolling...amazing too.

Respected Contributor

Re: Chopping wood with an axe

@qualitygal  I didn't know about it, but I think it must be therapeutic for some guys.  My BIL is a landscaper, but he loves to split wood (with an axe).  He usually goes to bed early after that, though!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Here in MN we have town festivals,that center around Lumberjack's that do amazing things with axes, I can barely lift an ax, let alone do what they do!  At the festivals they also climb very tall tress with boots with cleats to help them grip into the wood as they go up, they are so fast it amazed me, and then of course all of the good food centered around the festival,with all of the HARD work lumberjacks did, they had to eat hearty meals, and the food is delicious!  We had so much fun the one festival we went to, of course to round it all up there was a parade!  In Brained MN (I believe) they have large Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues (for lack of a better word) and have Paul Bunyan days that was so muchf fun too!

Trusted Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

Here in MN we have town festivals,that center around Lumberjack's that do amazing things with axes, I can barely lift an ax, let alone do what they do!  At the festivals they also climb very tall tress with boots with cleats to help them grip into the wood as they go up, they are so fast it amazed me, and then of course all of the good food centered around the festival,with all of the HARD work lumberjacks did, they had to eat hearty meals, and the food is delicious!  We had so much fun the one festival we went to, of course to round it all up there was a parade!  In Brained MN (I believe) they have large Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues (for lack of a better word) and have Paul Bunyan days that was so muchf fun too!

And in the Wisconsin Dells, there is the Paul Bunyan Restaurants not to be missed if you want a little bit of the lumberjack experience.  There is also one in Minoqua.  Love the breakfasts.