Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I’m sure throughout his youth, high school, college, pro football

career, there has been a woman reporter asking him questions.

Women reporters asking Cam Newton questions is not new.

This just came out this morning.  He might have had issues 

with this specific woman reporter since she has said questionable

remarks in the past, thus causing a same-for-kinda-same volley

(btw...yes, it’s immature on his part):

4621B271-B6F8-4EE3-B812-F3933CF52425.jpeg

N/M.  I went and looked up what the offensive tweets were.  Odd to me though that this particular group went looking for some dirt to dig up on her after this incident today.  Clearly they have an agenda.   

@Lipstickdiva

Might be his agent .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I grew up in a sports household.  We are avid sports watchers now.  I think this is absolutely ridiculous.  Everything that anyone says is dissected ad nauseum and made into a far bigger thing than it should be.  I guess that is partly due to 24//7 news.  I consider myself a strong independent woman and I do not believe this should have gone where it has gone.  Enough. Move on.

Honored Contributor

Women have every right to report on and broadcast sports in 2017. It's not at all "unnatural", any more than a man being a nurse or a teacher or a nanny. Honestly I can't believe it's even a "thing". Maybe it's my age and other factors.

Cam Newton is a spoiled seemingly arrogant young man who has much to learn. Not one that I would use as any sort of back up to any theories as to why women shouldn't do that for a living. Yes the reporter said that what he said in their private conversation was even worse, I can only imagine. So it's hardly a one off snarky remark. It's sexist, rude, and unprofessional.

Read @gardenman 's comments in the week five thread. That's a man who has it figured out . It's not what he said here but it still applies.

I'm going to go watch my game and study the routes. Knowing about routes is not dependent upon being a man or a woman. In fact plenty of male players screw them up.

That's her work environment, and she's being treated as less than there. It's just like working in a science job and having a boss or coworker laugh and smirk and say it's funny to hear a woman talking about xyz scientific terms. Demeaning, immature, inappropriate, sexist.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@kjae wrote:

I grew up in a sports household.  We are avid sports watchers now.  I think this is absolutely ridiculous.  Everything that anyone says is dissected ad nauseum and made into a far bigger thing than it should be.  I guess that is partly due to 24//7 news.  I consider myself a strong independent woman and I do not believe this should have gone where it has gone.  Enough. Move on.

I also grew up in a family where the women were very knowledgeable about sports.  And the men treated our views and opinions with respect.

So women being interested and knowing sports has been a part of most of my life.  However, I think men's sports should be left to men.  I do not enjoy them broadcasting or their artificial silliness on sports talk shows (television).  I've heard a few on radio that were better, but still come off as "one of the boys."  They try to outshout and outdo the men, and it is so uncomfortable looking.

For me, let the men have their sports.  If I don't like it, I don't like it.  Let ESPN and others do what they do and overblow and overthink everything.  It's not even interesting anymore.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

The reality is that Cam Newton's not a supremely intelligent QB who dissects defenses. He wins more through his physical traits than his mind. I strongly suspect that most of the female sportscasters could sit down and dissect game film better than Cam. Cam tends to look to his first read, sometimes his second, then tuck the ball and run. A smart QB can manipulate the defense and always find the weaknesses and exploit them. Cam tends to just try to run through the defense. It works for him, but he shouldn't be questioning anone else's knowledge or experience.

NAT:  I knew nothing of Cam Newton record so looked this up, just out of curiosity since you contend he is mentally deficient.

Cameron Jerrell Newton[1] (born May 11, 1989)[2] is an American footballquarterback for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Auburn and was drafted as the first overall pick by the Panthers in the 2011 NFL Draft. Newton is the only player in the modern era to be awarded the Heisman Trophy, win a national championship, and become the first overall pick in an NFL draft within a one-year span.[3] He was the 2011 NFL Rookie of the Year, is a three-time Pro Bowler, and was named to the NFL All-Pro First Team in 2015.

In his rookie year, Newton broke all-time NFL rookie records for passing and rushing yards. He became the first NFL quarterback to throw for 400 yards in his first game, shattering Peyton Manning's first-game record by 120 yards. He also broke Otto Graham's 61-year-old record for passing yards by any quarterback in an NFL debut.[4] Newton went on to become the first rookie quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.[5] He also ran for 14 touchdowns, more in a single season than any quarterback in NFL history, breaking Steve Grogan's 35-year-old record.[6]

In 2015, Newton became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for at least 30 touchdowns and rush for 10 in the same season (35 passing, 10 rushing).[7]He also became the only quarterback ever to have 300 yards passing, 5 touchdown passes, and over 100 yards rushing in the same game.[8] Newton capped off the 2015 season by capturing MVP honors and leading his Panthers to a 15–1 record and a trip to Super Bowl 50.

@Nonametoday

That info prove his physical ability and football skills.....thats why he's playing in the NFL.......but touches on nothing else

Was it supposed to touch on his pennmanship, his scientic knowledge or medical degree?  He is a football player.  A gladiator saved from the gangsta life, sotospeak.  He is not supposed to be measured by a Rhodes scholar intellect.

Trusted Contributor

Sidsmom,

Thank you for pointing out that the reporter and her family have been equally egregious with their racist comments. She found them hilarious.   Cam's remark is equivalent to those made by people, especially some  European Americans, when people of color are articulate.  There is surprise that they speak standard English and possess a broad base of cultural knowledge.  Sexism is equal to racism in some instances.  Some are hypersensitive about sexism and equate it only to European American women and not women of color; we are lumped in one group with men. So, when we recognize that others are harmed by comments and not just those that affect our "tribe" then, we can make some progress as a nation and resolve some seemingly intractable problems. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Here we go again with the, "Black atheletes depend on their physical abilities and not their mental abilities rather than their intellectual prowess."  If that is the case, then what accounts for the abysmal quarterbacking decisions of Jay Cutler and a few others?  This argument has a long history in sports, education, medicine, and every field of human endeavor.  The barriers are broken and the intellectual abilities of African Americans continue to be derided.  It's amazing how the arguments change when European Americans don't excel and want barriers in place to prevent others, e.g. the exclusion of Jews (who have been viewed as Other and not White historically) from Ivy League universities in the 1930s-1950s or the attempts to limit enrollment of Asian Americans in UCLA, UC-Berkeley, and other institutions today as being unfair to European American students.

The reporter has admitted widely sharing racist posts on Facebook and removed them; unfortunately for her, they were captured.  Her newspaper is reviewing the manner and will present a written statement.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Cam Newton was speaking at a press conference, might have been yesterday.

A female reporter asked him a question including "routes."  Cam Newton answered that he found it funny to hear a woman ask a question about routes.

I completely agree with him, and have opined before that I don't like women in sportscasting.  Not that they aren't smart enough, but it sounds unnatural to me.  I don't think he meant it disrespectfully at all.  I think it was an off the cuff statement and he didn't mean anything bad by it.

I guess the NFL, sports broadcasters, and Dannon Yogurt have thrown him far under the bus.  I hear this is BIG TALK.

Just so stupid.  People are constantly lining up to be offended.  With other NFL issues, this means nothing in my opinion.

Hyacinth

Who's offended?

The report I listened to said that the "sports media" was all over this in being offended.  Unfortunately, sports talk has become political talk to where it is not listenable for me.  I am very informed about politics, and would enjoy sports talk as an escape, a respite from the political.  They won't stay away from it.  I liked to listen to radio sports talk while I work in the kitchen especially.  Now, as soon as it turns political, I change the channel or turn the radio off.

So, if you want to look, go to sports media for the being offended.  Whether they are disingenuous or not, I can't say.  I think they like to consider themselves "real" journalists instead of just sports.  I say BO-RING.

I don't think these overpaid "athletes" should be rude to anyone asking a polite question.  Media is part of their job.  But I just didn't find it so all out offensive as the reports.  I don't like women in male sports reporting, but perhaps Mr. Newton should have been more polite.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Here we go again with the, "Black atheletes depend on their physical abilities and not their mental abilities rather than their intellectual prowess."  If that is the case, then what accounts for the abysmal quarterbacking decisions of Jay Cutler and a few others?  This argument has a long history in sports, education, medicine, and every field of human endeavor.  The barriers are broken and the intellectual abilities of African Americans continue to be derided.  It's amazing how the arguments change when European Americans don't excel and want barriers in place to prevent others, e.g. the exclusion of Jews (who have been viewed as Other and not White historically) from Ivy League universities in the 1930s-1950s or the attempts to limit enrollment of Asian Americans in UCLA, UC-Berkeley, and other institutions today as being unfair to European American students.

The reporter has admitted widely sharing racist posts on Facebook and removed them; unfortunately for her, they were captured.  Her newspaper is reviewing the manner and will present a written statement.

Uh, no. There have been plenty of smart black quarterbacks in the league who have excelled because of their intelligence. Warren Moon is just one of many such examples. (Donovan McNabb, Rodney Peete, and Doug Williams being others.) Guys like a Warren Moon pick apart defenses. They read them, recognize them, and exploit them. Warren Moon is the fifth most prolific passer in NFL history despite not joining the league until he was nearly 28 years old. Think about that. With most QB's entering the league in their early twenties, Moon is the fifth most prolific despite giving the rest a five year or so head start. He didn't achieve that by any superior physical traits. He out-thought defensive coaches and exploited their defenses.

Skin color and outer appearance are nothing more than wrapping paper to me. It tells you nothing about the gift inside. You only learn what's inside when you ignore the wrapping paper and look beyond it. I've seen enough of Cam Newton through the years to know that he's not a Warren Moon. He doesn't surgically pick apart a defense. He makes one, maybe two reads, then takes off. He's not reading defenses. He's not picking them apart surgically. He's a blunt force weapon. He knows who his first read is, he checks to see if he's open. If he is he throws the ball to him. If not he either looks to the second read or takes off running.

Cam's effective on the football field, but combine his physical abilities with the mind of a Warren Moon and Carolina would never lose a game. My statement that's he's not the smartest QB has nothing to do with his race and everything to do with what he's shown us both in statements and actions on the field.

There are quarterbacks of all races who have varying degrees of intellect and physical abilities. When I say a QB isn't the smartest QB in football, it's because of what he does on the field and has nothing to do with his skin color. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@software wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Cam Newton was speaking at a press conference, might have been yesterday.

A female reporter asked him a question including "routes."  Cam Newton answered that he found it funny to hear a woman ask a question about routes.

I completely agree with him, and have opined before that I don't like women in sportscasting.  Not that they aren't smart enough, but it sounds unnatural to me.  I don't think he meant it disrespectfully at all.  I think it was an off the cuff statement and he didn't mean anything bad by it.

I guess the NFL, sports broadcasters, and Dannon Yogurt have thrown him far under the bus.  I hear this is BIG TALK.

Just so stupid.  People are constantly lining up to be offended.  With other NFL issues, this means nothing in my opinion.

Hyacinth

Who's offended?

The report I listened to said that the "sports media" was all over this in being offended.  Unfortunately, sports talk has become political talk to where it is not listenable for me.  I am very informed about politics, and would enjoy sports talk as an escape, a respite from the political.  They won't stay away from it.  I liked to listen to radio sports talk while I work in the kitchen especially.  Now, as soon as it turns political, I change the channel or turn the radio off.

So, if you want to look, go to sports media for the being offended.  Whether they are disingenuous or not, I can't say.  I think they like to consider themselves "real" journalists instead of just sports.  I say BO-RING.

I don't think these overpaid "athletes" should be rude to anyone asking a polite question.  Media is part of their job.  But I just didn't find it so all out offensive as the reports.  I don't like women in male sports reporting, but perhaps Mr. Newton should have been more polite.

Hyacinth

Cam was wearing the uniform of his employer.   The only reason he was behind the mic was to talk about football.     

I wear the logo of my employer every day.   I have to follow a code of conduct.   Cam's remark would have gotten him sent to HR but all the faux outrage & hurt feelings is ridiculous.

Not sure about the Dannon thing.   He has a contract.    Not sure what the terms are.   I started eating that yogurt because of Cam!   Now I have a dilemma!