Esteemed Contributor

I respect Colin Kaepernick for sticking up for something  bigger than himself. A lot of people today are to afraid to express their true feelings.Last I checked we still live in a free country where freedom of expression is a guaranteed right. 

There is room for everyone to have an opinion.There is no room however,for hatred.We are better than that.We should be able to disagree with civility & move on.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

If this thread was concerning his performance then you could have fooled me! His personal beliefs are what the response are relating to, nothing about football!

@JaneMarple- I know I said it was my last word, but this is directed at my last post.

You and I have never had any disagreements on these boards, that I was a party to.  So let me just say that, my own opinions do not carry one iota of hate.  Of course, the discussion is going to involve his stance on issues other than football.

He has a right to his opinions, but so do others who disagree with what he did.  Hate is a strong word to use against those of us who simply have a different view.  And I have checked his stats and listened to those much more knowledgeable about his skills in the sport (and therefore, his marketability).

I stand by my own view and that really is my final word.  I have no wish to argue with you or anyone else about it; it's not personal.  Have a good evening.

Valued Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@sann wrote:

National Disgrace.

Amen

Really?  Do you know anything about the country you live in?  Have you heard of Freedom of Speech?  You may disagree with him but how does that make him disgraceful?  He protested what he saw as an injustice.  He used his public platform to try and make a difference.  But because he made a handy political tool for certain people he was demonized for simply taking a knee.  No violence or offensive language.  Just kneeling.  Maybe you and the person you responded to should take a look at your heart condition.

Respected Contributor

It has nothing to do with him hating the flag, the military or the country.

Plenty of NFL players have done far far worse things.  

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@nun ya  I know it doesn’t. Most people don’t understand as they have always been at the top of the totem pole and just can’t relate to people that haven’t. My opinion.

Honored Contributor

Much of the problem with Kaepernick is his choice of when and where to protest. There are activist players all over the league for various causes, but nearly all limit their protests to their time off the field. Kaepernick insisted and still insists, on doing his on the field. As a starting QB, he had tons of off the field opportunities to make whatever statement he wished to make. It's not like everyone ignores a starting NFL quarterback. 

The argument that he's just expressing his first amendment rights falls short because of where and when he protests. It's not tolerated in nearly any other business and the NFL is most definitely a business. Kaepernick tried to hijack NFL games to use them as his podium. He cost the NFL money through his protests. The NFL responded by firing him. 

I don't know what kind of workplaces most of you work at, but if you work someplace where you can start each day by protesting something that management doesn't agree with, and your protests are hurting the company, how long would you stay employed? I'm guessing it wouldn't be very long.

And these kinds of protests are just stupid and divisive. We've seen them for decades in sports going back to black power salutes in the 1968 Olympics. Did that protest change the world? No. It just adds division. Kaepernick wearing socks depicting the police as pigs, and kneeling during the National Anthem is just him telling people to "Look at me!" He's not changing anything. He's just doing more to divide people and draw attention to himself. It's worked for him. Nike's paying him a fortune as a spokesperson, so kudos to him. But, if you want to play in the NFL, you have to follow the rules. He didn't.

I find it ironic that many of those praising Kaepernick condemned Tim Tebow for praying on the field and thanking God in his interviews. "How dare he try to force his religious views on us!" Kaepernick trying to force his views on us though is perfectly fine in their eyes. Both you may note are out of football now despite being very talented and accomplished athletes. Teams don't want the media headaches that come with either player.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Is this Community Chat? CK is a former football player, good or bad. His stance should have nothing to do with his playing ability.

In my opinion Football has always been political and a dirty business that could make or break careers. Drug addicts and domestic batterers get a slap on the wrist because they great players. Something is very wrong here when a man who believes in his own personal protests is blackballed because of the power structure of the NFL!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Re: COLIN KAEPERNICK

[ Edited ]

@nun ya wrote:

ITA.

I'm always surprised how it's reduced to the weird notion

he must 'hate' something🤷‍♀️

If that's not projection by the person saying/writing that,

than I don't know what is. 

And *NEWSFLASH*

It was someone from said military who TOLD him to kneel.

Funny how people always forget that fact. 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman- Well said.

Honored Contributor

Freedom of speech and the associated issues should not be disassociated with respect.  Respect for your country, your flag, different ideas and fellow citizens.

When you disrespect those things you negate the meaning behind freedom of speech.  Which is that we should be free to discuss and disagree.  But when you lose respect, that notion goes completely out the window.  Then it becomes much like a rude gesture, not a voicing of opinion in an appropriate time and place.  And it is offensive.