Honored Contributor

Re: Baseball Talk 2019 season, all are welcome!

My gf, who follows baseball on Twitter, sent me these two posts regarding the call.  

Major League Baseball punished a baserunner for a bad throw to first from the opposing pitcher in an elimination game. Makes a lot of sense.

Why put the bag in fair territory then! Go and do the softball orange safety bag so we can make it clear where to touch the bag in FOUL territory. Such a bad rule.

She said there are lots of suggestions posted on how to improve this problem.  Some by former players. 

I thought it was a bad call and would not want to see a series decided on that call.   I don't care who wins this WS, but I want it decided fairly. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

The ump was a chump.  He had latitude to overlook that and he didn't.  I guess there just weren't enough pixxing contests out there for his taste.  Turner was called out in the very first inning ON FIRST BASE - even our friend Buckaroo was flabbergasted.  That call came back.  Rightly so.  Fair and square.

It's ladies night and Davey Martinez is the man.  Even though he got ejected (another low blow) we still knocked the knees out.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If only my boyfriend Jayson Werth (affectionately known as Jay-dub) could be in there for the Nats.

I think Soto can carry the bat, though. 

Oooooh!!  Jayson is a cutie for sure!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-red-sox-name-former-mlber-dave-bush-pitching-coach/ar-AA...

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

MLB Radio on Siriux/SM was interviewing Mike Rizzo tonight and they started a question with, "Both Billy Martin and Lou Pinella would be proud of Davy...."  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

CONGRATS TO ALL THE NATS FANS!  Enjoy the parade on Saturday!  Please post about it so we can all enjoy the celebration! 

Astros fans, hold your head up high.   That was a heck of a series. 

Congrats to both teams for making it through to the WS!  

Please continue to post your team's off season news/trades/etc. 

First day of the off season.......no baseball until March 26th.......only 147 more days.  

Valued Contributor

Congrats to the Nationals and their fans. Hearbroken Astros fan here but it was a hard fought series.Home field advantage meant nothing this year. Great pitching and timely hits from the Nats.I always like a game 7.Let the best team win.

Now we get to set around and pick apart all that went wrong in this series. And will Cole sign with us? Oh well,time to rest up for spring training.

Have fun Nat Nation! Enjoy cuz it sure feels good when it happens to you.

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations to all the Nats fans from this Yankee fan!! 🎈🎉⚾️🏆

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I feel bad for Joe Torre because everyone wants him to overrule the umpires and the rules and anything else that happens that they don't like.  They think that because he was a play and a manager that his sympathies should lie with them vs with baseball.

Baseball has been slowly destroyed since the advent of the DH.

We now want to just get rid of umpires and have cameras every 6 inches and have the robot call the game.  

We are slowly losing the art of baseball.  First it's analytics, then it's instant replay.

What next?

@VaBelle35  I never liked the DH either- it takes away from the strategy of the game. I also remember when they didn't  review every other slightly questionable call ! They used to limit it to only 'close' HR's.

Thanks for posting Joe's twitter interview-  what he's saying makes sense. The thing that irked most was the umps rarely makes 'interference'' calls - when there have been times durng the season when it was blatantly obvious.  Every little detail of the game was critical to  the Nats - it probably got them fired up, though. Awesome finish to the season last night!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm cracking up about everyone talking about Davy Martinez losing his mind.

People need to watch some old Billy Martin and even Lou Pinella as manager video.  It doesn't count unless there is dirt kicking, people!  LOL

Lou once said after one of his legendary melt downs as manager that it's for the players.  The players need to see it and it impacts how they play going forward.  Davy getting tossed was probably the bump the Nats needed to seal the deal last night.  Who knows if they would have been as fired up if Davy hadn't been tossed?

In all seriousness, it was a good call, IMO.

The history of baseball is littered with amazing plays by fielders when given a bad ball to work with.  Whether it's a bad throw, a ricochet off a glove or base, it doesn't matter.  The issue is that the fielder has an unobstructed opportunity to field the ball.  We will never know if he would have caught it because Trea not only bumped his arm, but knocked off his glove.  How hard did he have to hit him to knock off is glove?

PS  - Joe Torre is looking sharp in his suit.

LOL  ITA about the meltdown.  That was not a classic meltdown. lol  Lou and Billy are tops when it comes to meltdowns. lol 

@dmod nj @VaBelle35  agreed about the 'meltdown' - I remember 'way back when' and I didn't see any dirt kicked!! I actually wasn't sure Davy was evicted, so I googled for updates. It seems he has a track record like Bobby Cox!  I think much of the hoopla was about Davy's medical conditon - he had heart issues recently.