Honored Contributor

Re: At least one horse had fun running the Preakness

I was cheering for him too!! Hubs said you can’t win without a jockey.

Esteemed Contributor

This only proves that these horses are bred to run.

When the outrider tried to catch Bodexpress at the top of the stretch, Bodexpress was like, "No, no, no. I still have a race to run!" *lol*Woman LOL

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

That's all I could follow once the race started. I was afraid he'd trip up some other horse.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I was cheering for him too!! Hubs said you can’t win without a jockey.

@proudlyfromNJ.  I don't know why.  Afterall, it's a horse race, not a people race.

I just hope Bodexpress' jockey doesn't aspire to a career in rodeo.  He'll never make it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I haven't listened to the talking heads on this yet, but was there any interference like the Kentucky Derby that caused the jockey to fall off?  Was anyone else disqualified other than this horse?

Twitter had a field day with this one.  It was enjoyable to read.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 There was mention of the guy in the gate still having hold of the horse (?) when the gate opened. You can tell by his reaction on replay that he knew....  

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

There's a reason that he couldn't win without a jockey. Each horse in a race has to carry a certain amount of weight-which includes the jockey and the saddle. Before and after each race the jockeys and their saddles weigh out and weigh in. If the jockey plus the saddle don't weigh enough there are weights added to a special saddle cloth. If you think about it, when the horse wins the Derby, one of the first things you see them do after the jockey dismounts is to take off the saddle-that's when he goes to get weighed again.

Somehow I totally forgot about this race yesterday and am bummed out that I didn't see it first hand.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

A great picture off the start. Johnny V, the jockey blamed the horse for the start. He said he had his head over and Johnny was out of the irons when the gate opened. So in this case the starter still having the horse was the horses fault so no refunds in this case.

jv.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom Can you clarify who had his head over where?  Did that have anything to do with the jockey not being in the irons?  Were they late or did the gate open early?

Better that it was John V instead of a less-experienced jockey. He’s an excellent jockey and everybody knows it. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@pigletsmom Can you clarify who had his head over where?  Did that have anything to do with the jockey not being in the irons?  Were they late or did the gate open early?

Better that it was John V instead of a less-experienced jockey. He’s an excellent jockey and everybody knows it. 

@esmerelda Can't remember his exact words, but I think the horse had cocked his head way over and John was sort of inbetween the side of the gate and the horse and he was out of the irons. I think it was all in that spiit second between when everyone is ready and the gates open, so the starter tried to help get him straightened out which is why you could see his hands on him but it was too late. I'm guessing John was right by the phone to talk to the stewards after the race because they dropped the inquiry fast.