Honored Contributor

Any Women's College Softball Fans?

We have been watching a lot of softball for a number of years, of course because of the University of Oklahoma's team, but those women (all not just OU!) are so talented!

If you are a sports fan, you might want to make a point to watch one of the games.  It is amazing how good the women are now!  The game is exciting and the pitching is remarkable--and the batting as well! 

Their championship games are coming up!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Women's College Softball Fans?

my granddaughter is headed to UMass Dartmouth this Fall.....she was recruited to play on the women's softball team!  i've been watching her play softball since she was able to hold a bat!  she's a great kid....and i'm a very proud nana......first grandchild going off to college.....so bittersweet...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I played softball all the way up through college, it is such a great sport and have made lifelong friends from it.  I tried playing "beer leagues" (which are not for me) and some of the men think they are better than women at it, and are downright rude exuding their "masculinity" until they realize you have mad skills and the opposing teams literally call you a "ringer". Give ladies the respect we deserve guys, LOL.  Anyways, beer league was not my thing and life gets busy, so I never joined a real women's fast pitch league .

I used to love watching the US Women's Olympic Softball team play.  They were amazing, and just swept the floor with their competitors which, in my very biased opinion, is why the International Olympic Committee cut it from summer games a decade ago.  Again, cutting women's activities instead of some more of the men's. But I read they are back this summer in Tokyo, and so excited to see how they do!! 

Having played multiple NCAA women's sports in the late 90's and hearing the way the women's teams continue to be treated like second class citizens in basketball March Madness competitions, etc. makes me sad. We were treated differently from the men's teams then too; from funding, to spring training trips, to practice fields quality and transportation to and from games.  I did not play D-1, but the varying treatment of women's teams runs all the way to the D- III level and I, and my teammates, and all the women's teams at my school and our league particularly, witnessed this first hand.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner not yet, but what a good idea.will look into it.  Right now,  I am watching the mens baseball Big East Championship game with UConnecicu va Xavier.  So far good game,

Honored Contributor

WCWS: Oklahoma will play James Madison at Marist Hynes North at ... wait for it ... 11 am Thursday.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes!  My grand-daughter is 9 and just finished her first season.  She played catcher and loved it.  She is on the Allstar team and will also play fall ball.  This is the first sport she has had real interest in and she (we) love to watch the college girls.  They are so talented!  

Trusted Contributor

I've been watching and it's great for the state of OK that both OU and OSU softball teams are in the College World Series.  Of course I'm hoping my Sooners win it all!

Trusted Contributor

Good luck to the Lady Sooners in their game against Florida State tonight!  Great how they came back from the loser's bracket and defeated JMU twice to get to the championship series.

Trusted Contributor

I love watching softball!  I think I've watched at least some of every game since the regionals.  It is so entertaining.  The game is fast, skilled, and full of action.

Trusted Contributor

Fingers crossed they can take it to a game 3 tonight!