Trusted Contributor

I see that the SNF game in Tampa is still on, with a full stadium.   I'm a huge football fan, but it just doesn't feel right tonight.  

You have residents just a few miles south of Tampa dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Ian.   Some have lost everything, some are still missing, some are still stranded. 

Tampa was lucky to have everted the direct hit of the storm.  But something doesn't feel right to me to see a crowd drinking beer and cheering on their teams when there is so much devastation just hours away.  It could have been postponed IMO out of respect for the tragedy.

Honored Contributor

Re: And the Game Goes On...

[ Edited ]

I believe the team owners donates a million dollars to the hurricane relief fund and also some of the players. Better to give money than just have everyone sit at home.

Trusted Contributor

Several players auctioned off jerseys at the game to raise money. That would not be done or promoted without the live game. 

No one at the game is enjoying themselves as a spiteful thing to ignore those suffering storm loss. People being together bring strength and generosity of spirit. They get rid of tension and anxiety watching the game and then are better prepared to help those who are having tough times. 

Florida's needs will be answered by official agencies and the efforts of volunteers. No one has to stop every form of entertainment to prove they are respectful of loss and people at risk. 

To postpone the game out of "respect" is to say that life should stop as a gesture, even if nothing constructive is delivered by a dark stadium. 

Those who feel strongly about this aspect of a "disrespectful" football game should not watch on TV. Their moral compass works only for them.  Dictating what others should do or feel is judgmental. Dictating what is "right" is being self righteous. 

Some of life is luck. People do no harm by dedicating a minute of silence to acknowledge the victims of the hurricane, generously donating money or goods or time to help victims, and enjoying a game because they were lucky enough to escape this nightmare, this time. 

Honored Contributor
"Their moral compass works only for them" seems harsh to me. I watched some of the game, I'm not judgmental about it and I can see both sides of the issue. Still think it could have been postponed too, and I see nothing wrong with thinking that either.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I was surprised that it wasn't postponed.  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe they felt that people needed that time to "get away".  I'm sure people had their tickets bought a long time ago.

Better to have a little distraction from the despair rather to sit home and think too much about all the devastation and suffering.