Honored Contributor

Aaron Hernandez Had Severe CTE

If anyone followed it on the news yesterday...his lawyers are now suing the Patriots and the NFL on behalf of his daughter. They're also contemplating suing the NCAA and the University of Florida where he went to college. He did get in a bar fight there.

There's a very good NY Times article from yesterday, it mentions new research published this week by Boston University. It talks about adults who played tackle football before the age of 12 and how they developed more cognitive and behavioral issues later in life than those who didn't do that before age 12. The article says he played as a teenager, doesn't specify age.

I think this will be a landmark case and has wide ranging implications for football and the NFL. His brain was studied at the CTE Center at Boston University, which I believe is the leading center of that type in the US.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aaron Hernandez Had Severe CTE

I am a huge football fan and yes I am concerned for these men that are having such difficulty after head injuries.   However, it is interesting that the article doesn't mention that he was a complete thug and gang member..........I don't believe a consussion turns you into that!

Valued Contributor

what are they going to blame that on why he killed someone? and his daughter will win a ton of money? I think that is just another excuse? His girlfriend says he could never do that and that he never killed himself in Jail.  

Honored Contributor

Everything AH did was by choice.  Football, thuggery, murdering.

I think that should negate any lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

CTE can cause violent behavior. Lack of impulse control. I think there are still many unknowns about it that future research will reveal. It's science. OJ's lawyers have brought it up too, I think his brain will be studied when he dies. It causes suicidal ideation as well, and other former players have committed suicide rather than murder. He (AH) did both, obviously.

Obviously it's not an excuse for violence and murder. But ignoring the science got the NFL in trouble and caused a lot of pain for players and their loved ones. League of denial.  I am interested in the science of it and what can be done to prevent this. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

The BU study should make parents think twice about allowing their children to play organized football - at least those children under high school age.

As for Aaron Hernandez, it will be interesting to see if the suits succeed.  I think it would be devastating for the sport if they do.

Honored Contributor

The entire topic is very interesting, but here is my take on it.

Starting today, knowing what we know so far about the effects of this type of sport on the brain, people need to begin to take responsibility for their actions. 

Today's children (and the parents who are responsible for making decisions for them) need to understand the possibilities and ramifications their choices can have.

Young men choosing to sign with colleges and later pro teams, need to understand and take responsibility for their futures should they experience these effects of the sport.

We shouldn't allow it to be an 'excuse' in the future for crime, bad behavior, law suits etc.

Now, those who may have experienced harm before we knew all this, what do we do? I'm not sure.

Work to make the sport safer is of course a no brainer. But definitely from here on out, if you choose to play, be prepared to be responsible for the consequences it has for your body and health.

People are expecting the same from smokers now that we know the effects, people who eat all the wrong things all their lives and it takes a toll on their health, people who abuse drugs and alcohol etc.

Now that we know, from here forward, it can't be used as an excuse/reason for such things. For those already affected, I just don't have an answer. 

Respected Contributor

I was always an admirer of Tony Dorsett when he played for the Dallas Cowboys.

It was so sad to see him in his present condition being a victim of CTE.  I think I caught it on a documentary on this subject.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

....and everything he did is right now, blame it on that.

I don't think so, just another money hungry family member

Honored Contributor

Whatever happens, it has to start before getting to the NFL