Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE WATCHING THE US OPEN GOLF?

Today is Phil Mickelson’s birthday!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

have been watching but missed the commentary,  

as for PHil  M not sure but you can take a 2 stroke penalty if that's what you want to do.  

take a 2 stroke penalty instead of going back and trying to get on the green and missing and trying to get back, and incurring more strokes.  

it's a very hard course.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

I thought today was just awful. The greens were so fast and it was windy, the holes were cut way too close to the slopes for the conditions of the course, every putt seemed to roll 40 ft in every direction to prevent par. Hardly championship golf, IMO.

Joe Buck is very dull and no other announcer made it exciting or interesting.   Just complained about the bad playing and unfortunate greens. The truly vulgar audio goof that Fox let in to be broadcast was only one step worse than the screaming hooligans at every hole, losing their minds like high school sophomores.  All sound was at risk to pick up more bad language than just hoots and taunts from a rowdy gallery. I turned off the sound and just watched the hapless golf. 

Its hard to approve of a guy taking a two stroke penalty with a deliberate type of cheating move just to get a hole over with instead of playing with decorum and skill in the face of utter frustration. I once thought better of Mickelson, but he was out of bounds today breaking a rule to save strokes and effort. 

Overall, this tournament was a bust today. I’ll watch for a while for the final round, but will then happily tune to Yankees baseball and relax watching a different sport of hitting a ball with a stick!

Ding, ding, ding! @gizmogal, you summed it up perfectly! You captured most everything I was thinking about this golf tournament and it's unfortunate T.V. coverage. A+ for your all encompassing post!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I feel that way about some of the tennis channel commentators.  Dreadful, for the most part.

As to your question, yes, I'm watching the golf on and off.  However, none of my favorite players are in contention, so it's not as interesting for me as it usually is.

I agree about the Tennis...i don't have the tennis channel but i can't listen to Chrissy Evert commentating....she seems biased to me....and is always mentioning herself during the matches......all "me, i me"...etc

Honored Contributor

I've never cared much for Phil Michelson, and this move ofhis today didn't impress me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I actually watch most golf and tennis tournaments muted.  There's no need to hear the commentators.  I see what's going on.  But this golf tournament is the pits.  So many of the top players missed the cut or are doing poorly.  I bet  Shinnecock will be "tweaking" the course before the next U.S. Open in 2026.  

Trusted Contributor

I admit I have never been a Phil fan ... and this petulant stunt yesterday reminds why I have never liked him.

As Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee pointed out last night, no one has ever seen a golfer of Phil's caliber do something like this. He listed many of the greats from Hogan to Nicklaus and said it is inconceivable that they would disrespect the game of golf in such a way. 

What a poor example of sportsmanship!

Come on, Phil! You said you just wanted to be done with that 13th hole and move on to the next! Well, duh! So would countless other golfers who wind up in really difficult situations. But most just finish the hole without taking a "shortcut" exit.