Valued Contributor

Re: ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST AT ESPN.....................

also Dr Jerry Punch a NASCAR professional commentator announcd he's leaving ESPN

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

ESPN might be looking towards the future when all TV is delivered by streaming. At that point consumers will likely pay per channel and if ESPN is too high they'll be in big trouble. CBS  is already testing that scenario with their CBS All Access. HBO has HBO Now. You'll see more and more cable channels breaking free of cable in the very, very near future. We're on the cusp of a major swing in the cable TV industry. If you pay attention you'll notice cable companies are pushing Internet and security systems more than TV and phone these days. They know where things are going. Comcast is now moving into the smartphone arena to survive a wireless future. The industry is changing in a big way.

@gardenman

What I dont understand is why people prefer to stream shows on their tiny phone screens or small tablet screens instead of a nice big TV screen........Maybe if one were traveling but other than that...............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

But you can stream on a big HDTV also. In fact one of the only ways to get the new 4K HDR images is by streaming. Streaming is done through smart tv's, devices like the Kindle Fire TV, Fire Stick, Roku boxes, and many other devices. If you've got fast enough Internet, no cap on usage, and the right devices, you can stream video that's vastly superior to any cable signal. Now streaming a two hour movie in 4K HDR will use up about 22 GB's of data (maybe more) and if you have a low data cap it can be a killer. I suspect Amazon will be streaming the Thursday night games in 4K HDR under their new agreement, and we could see the networks following suit. Amazon and Netflix are both now offering some streaming in the 4K HDR format. Streaming is the way of the future and not limited to handheld devices.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

But you can stream on a big HDTV also. In fact one of the only ways to get the new 4K HDR images is by streaming. Streaming is done through smart tv's, devices like the Kindle Fire TV, Fire Stick, Roku boxes, and many other devices. If you've got fast enough Internet, no cap on usage, and the right devices, you can stream video that's vastly superior to any cable signal. Now streaming a two hour movie in 4K HDR will use up about 22 GB's of data (maybe more) and if you have a low data cap it can be a killer. I suspect Amazon will be streaming the Thursday night games in 4K HDR under their new agreement, and we could see the networks following suit. Amazon and Netflix are both now offering some streaming in the 4K HDR format. Streaming is the way of the future and not limited to handheld devices.

@gardenman

Yes I know you can connect streaming  to a Big Smart Screen TV and also about the streaming. broadcasts with the latest technology....but I know too many people that are content to watch from their phones/tablets---its crazy!!!  Of course these are the same folks I call phone zombies and their phones are like an attached appendage, these are the people that they are passing laws in some states prohibiting walking and being on your phone!...................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Well add Jerome Bettis to the no longer employed by ESPN list...............