Honored Contributor

Re: 2021/2022 NHL season, scores, news, information, all are welcome!

Hi John, Smiley Happy @hckynutjohn   whom did you feel, on the Lightning, were trying to injure  Rangers players?  When watching, I would say something to my son or husband about a play.  But, I am the first to say, I am biased and never have played the game.  

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlyersGirl  So cool that  you did that with the fan club.   I've been following the Rangers since 1968 when my school buddy finall convinced me to go to a game with him.  We sat all the way up in what was (and still is for true fans) the BLUE SEATS.  I was hooked!   I remember the Ranger/Flyer rivalries.   Schultz. Clarke ... Parent ...  

Remember them well.

Teasing was acceptable...  taunting too.  The fights were on the ICE!

Respected Contributor

@781Florist   THANK YOU MUCH.   A lot of promise yes,  and a lot of work too.  Igor can't continue to make as many saves as he does per game,  and the action has to be down the other end of the ice a lot more.  Stop passing so much and take the shot when called for....  etc.    Looking forward to next season.  

Frustrating for me because I can only follow them reading the Post,  since I now live in the northern burbs of Chicago.   Still and always will be a RANGER FAN!   

Trusted Contributor

I do not want the Bolts to win - so my cheers go to Colorado.

And going 7 games would be nice.  Smiley Happy

Ranger fans - not my team but I was rooting for you.

Sorry I wasn't your good luck charm.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj 

I am only familiar with a few names on the Lightning roster. It is easier for me to try to tell you who I think play the game hard, but not with what I see(know) are attempts to injure.

Of course Mac has never been a cheap shot player, nor has Stammer(?) or Maroon. Maroon, like Reeves, plays a hard hitting game, but I have not seen them resort to the cheap shots. Their legal hits are well known when every opponent gets on the ice with them.

I well understand intentionally hitting known injured, top line players, as much and as hard as possible, that is part of Playoff hockey. Trouba's hit on Crosby is an example of what i mean. It was hard, but a clean hit, as was the one on a top Hurricane player.

The nothing looking cheap shot, that put Strome out of the game was another. From skating with back injuries, before/during and after 2 surgeries, I can tell you this. As soon  as Strome was cross checked while he was nowhere in the play. When he bent over and skated off the ice, using just 1 leg! I told my wife it's his back, because I know by experience how much a hit effects leg strength and movement, when an already injured, spine is involved. I was surprised they let him play after what I saw.

Have no idea who the Lightning player was, but I know that type of hit on a known injured, top line player, was for 1 purpose, and that was hitting him in that exact area, behind the play? Players known a lot more about human physiology than most think. That player knew Strome did not see him, and he knew the exact area which could cause the most damage.

As a Ref, a lot of what you pay attention to, is the things away from the play. That is part of being a good Ref. Looking at the play is much easier, but watching those not in the play, is just as important, especially with the 2 Ref system now used in the NHL.

The hits on Igor? 1 in particular, was no doubt to me, an attempt to injure. Again, these players know when a goalie is most vulnerable, and that is when they do not anticipate being hit, or given the Ole Slew Foot. 

Most fans do not know why players go down when, what looks like a little stick poke behind the knee, is much more. There is a nerve there that completely takes all feeling out of that leg, and the muscle spasms. Looks like nothing, but again from experience, I can tell, you exactly what happens to the player hit in that way.

Without having played and Ref'd, I would not know the effect a simple looking play, at the right time, can and does cause serious injuries to players. Most players, probably all in the NHL level, know these vulnerable spots. When done during specific times, and  mostly to players away from the play, invites serious, possibly career ending injuries, to a hockey player.

I am sure you remember Pat LaFontaine, his career ending hit came when he collided with another Ranger player during a game. He never fully recovered from that innocent looking collision with his own line mate.

Same type of deal started with the a nothing looking play, started the downfall, of Mike Richter's career, and Jeff Bouk. Nothing looking plays that were the beginning of the end of many NHL players careers.

I could tell you tons more that fans that have never played, or especially not Ref'd, even at High School and Junior Levels! As the skill and speed levels go up, the more proficient players become, at what to do, when and where, and innocently skate away.

Thank you again for again starting these hockey threads for so many years now. It keeps many fans interested in the game, and a place to express their interest, in a friendly way, about their favorite teams. 

hckynut 🥅🏒  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@nyc1  I live in central NY, in the general Syracuse area.  Even here, I don't get the coverage I got living in Jersey.  I can see the games, but there is not the in depth coverage I had in northern Jersey.  I have followed Larry Brooks, of the NY Post, for years.  I read his column faithfully.  I try to post stuff on this thread, so you are always welcome to look here for additional information. 

@hckynutjohn  John, thank you for all you posted. Makes sense to me.   I noticed some things too, and thought they were injurious hits.  But, as just a fan, it's hard for me to really know.  As I said, I am biased, as well. lol  So, it's helpful to me when you post and explain as a former player.  Thank you!    

It is my pleasure to start these threads and bring us together for some fun!   I plan on doing it again for the next season. Smiley Happy 

@yellowrose  you are not bad luck, my friend. Smiley Happy 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

https://nypost.com/2022/06/12/kaapo-kakkos-rangers-future-in-doubt-after-puzzling-scratch/?utm_sourc...

Honored Contributor

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-vitali-kravtsov/c-334586676

Respected Contributor

@dmod nj   I  understand.  I lived in NJ for 15 years (Clifton and the northern part of Edison)....   great coverage.