Honored Contributor

Re: 2017-2018 hockey season, scores, news, spoilers, all are welcome. :)

Hi John, @hckynut   I watched a bit and turned it off.  You read my mind about the way the team's playing. 

Woke up to this.......http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/02/23/rangers-locker-room-is-not-a-good-place-to-be-right-now/?sf18287...

It addresses what you posted about. 

My guys are THRILLED with Grabner going to Jersey.  I'm glad I will be able to watch him play. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@nyc1wrote:

My sister and  her family were in Montreal this week and got tickets for the game last night.  Two rows in front of her was a man in a Messier jersey.   Sadly, they continue to sink into the basement.  No defense, no chemistry.....   what happened???!!!!  They ended last year with such HOPE and started off okay.  I live in Chicago now so I don't get to see the games on TV unless they are playing the Hawks (pathetic as well) or on NHL Network.   Sadly,  it's all been up to Henry.  You can't expect him to make 35/40 saves every night. 

Hi @nyc1   You make great points. I've said the same things, especially...........what happened?   I think we are seeing the consequences of Hank having to make 35/40 saves every night with no one in front to help.  He is great, but not Superman. 

My son lives in Chicago and says everyone is so disappointed in the Hawks. He works with some rabid Hawks fans who are so DISAPPOINTED  in their team. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@dmod njwrote:

@nyc1wrote:

My sister and  her family were in Montreal this week and got tickets for the game last night.  Two rows in front of her was a man in a Messier jersey.   Sadly, they continue to sink into the basement.  No defense, no chemistry.....   what happened???!!!!  They ended last year with such HOPE and started off okay.  I live in Chicago now so I don't get to see the games on TV unless they are playing the Hawks (pathetic as well) or on NHL Network.   Sadly,  it's all been up to Henry.  You can't expect him to make 35/40 saves every night. 

Hi @nyc1   You make great points. I've said the same things, especially...........what happened?   I think we are seeing the consequences of Hank having to make 35/40 saves every night with no one in front to help.  He is great, but not Superman. 

My son lives in Chicago and says everyone is so disappointed in the Hawks. He works with some rabid Hawks fans who are so DISAPPOINTED  in their team. 

@dmod nj  Yep...   they made some changes and that came back to haunt them.  They got rid of a guy they used to call the Bread Man.  He was on Kane's line.  I'm told it was because of salary cap, but they should have done something else.  BIG MISTAKE.   Just as stupid as the Bulls getting rid of Jimmy Butler. WHO MAKES THESE RIDICULOUS TRADES????    Worst trade in the hockey ever.....   The Rangers trading away RICK MIDDLETON (loved him) for Ken friggin Hodge.  OMG!

Honored Contributor

@nyc1  I had forgotten about Middleton/Hodges trade.  Oh wow!!  Memories.  

Yes, Panerin went to the Blue Jackets!  

I wish, we as fans, did know the thinking behind the trades.  It would answer a lot of questions we all have. 

Honored Contributor

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/02/23/trade-penguins-reportedly-land-derick-brassard/?sf182899649=1

Honored Contributor

Rangers play the Wild tonight at MSG.  The Wild beat the Devils last night.  Maybe they will be tired???  Smiley Wink 

Kreider will play tonight. Georgiev gets the start.

Honored Contributor

Image result for crying
Honored Contributor

Devils retire Patrick Elias' number tonight.  My husband is away on business and won't be able to watch. My son and I will watch "together" on Skype. 

All week long, the Devils have celebrated Elias with lots of videos and  speaking with previous players.  It's been a kick to look back and remember my son being a little guy following his team.  So many great memories of the team's Stanley Cup victories, and attending all the events/games/parades  with him, when he was a little guy. 

Tomorrow night, we'll watch "together" again as the Rangers retire Ratelle's number.  

Honored Contributor

Wild/Rangers a much better game to watch. Right now I am watching the new players to see what they bring to the team as individuals. What style do they play/better passing/skaters/avoid hits or look for hits/speed versus acceleration, and mostly their hockey sense in all zone situations. Instincts versus reaction, and there will always be team chemistry.

Hodge/Middleton? Different types of players, both very good at their styles of hockey. Like Gretzky/Messier/Kurri, all different types of players, but all great at their styles of play, and then there was their chemistry, which is often overlooked by fans.

A few great players needed their "wingmen", or the word "great" would be absent from their portfolio. Eric Lindros, take away Jon LeClair? You have a very good/big center, but great? Best lines in all of hockey, take away 1 of the 3 players and you have a good line, not the best.

Even pure goal scorers need more than their skills to score goals, even moreso with the game played in this era of hockey. Too many fans look at a players skill in 1 part of the ice. A GM and coach look at how they play in all 3 zones and how they play in them in all situations. 

Many fans can't understand the why of certain trades, including myself. I try to look at a trade through the eyes of a GM and/or Coach, and rely on the decades of knowledge and experiences I have seen, and been a part of, running my own Adult Hockey League for over 50 years.

In my opinion, management gave up too soon on this team, considering all the skill missing through injuries. Very few teams can lose half of their 6 starting D-men and be expected to be much above a 500 team, regardless of having 1 of the greatest goaltenders, it just doesn't happen.

The Hatfield/Ratelle/Gilbert line was a great line, as was the Cashman/Esposito/Hodge line. Did they play the same style of hockey? Not even close, so which one was better? Every hockey fan has their opinion and much of it is usually decided by being a bit partial depending on their team allegiance.

As long as our Rangers leave everything they have on the ice every shift I can enjoy almost every one of their hockey games, win or lose. But displays like the Rangers/Montreal game? I would much rather spend my time at a Public Ice Skating Session.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

As expected,  Nash was traded to the Bruins. Smiley Sad 

As per the Rangers NY Post beat writer: Rangers have acquired a first-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, defenseman Ryan Lindgren, forwards Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey, and a seventh-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft from the Bruins in exchange for Rick Nash.

By acquiring a first-round pick, the Rangers now have nine picks in the 2018 NHL Draft, including six picks in the first three rounds and four picks in the first two rounds.