Esteemed Contributor

Re: shoe shopping dissapointment

My feet have changed as I've gotten older, I have a medium/wide forefoot - a B/C width and a narrow heel - AAA so many shoes do not fit as they are too narrow in the forefoot and too wide in the heel.

I must try on shoes for fit as I also find sizing inconsistantcies no matter what the brand is. When I shop shoe outlet stores I need to be prepared to try on shoes and walk in them and many don't fit well when I walk in them. They are too stiff and the inside lining will dig into my foot. Or the heel is too big and I slide out of the shoe.

Cheap shoes don't work for my feet either. But how do you know if you have a good pair or not. Look at the construction, feel the inside lining, bend the shoe (and leave shoes that don't bend) and look at the insole. If the inside of the shoe looks like the manufacturer cut corners, leave that shoe behind and look at something else.

Esteemed Contributor

About 3 weeks ago, I went to a very large shoe store. I couldn't find one pair of ankle boots that felt good on my feet. We were there for well over an hour. Husband who wasn't even looking for shoes found shoes he just loves. 

I really like the vionic sandals- thought I would love the boots. Ordered some from QVC- OUCH! I wish I could  have worn them, they were so cute. Should have know better than buy any without trying them on.

Respected Contributor

@software Are you sure you are not talking about my feet! Lol. I wear Clark’s too, but not every footbed fits me. I’ve learned which ones work for me and usually can get a great fit. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet, Absolutely LOVE these and wear them all day in retail.  Dabney from Dansko.  They have the same molded foot bed medical personnel wear in their Dansko clogs!

When you subtract the height under my fore foot, from the heel, I really don't feel ANY height!

They're around $109.00 at DSW.  You can also go to Zappos and search "comfort shoes".  Free ship in both directions.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@software Are you sure you are not talking about my feet! Lol. I wear Clark’s too, but not every footbed fits me. I’ve learned which ones work for me and usually can get a great fit. 

@SunValley,I'm glad they work for you.  When I wear them in retail, they don't have enough padding, and I can hardly walk when I leave.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@SunValley,I'm glad they work for you.  When I wear them in retail, they don't have enough padding, and I can hardly walk when I leave.

@ECBG I can see your issue as the ones that are most comfy for me are the cloud steppers, which are definitely very casual. I have no idea what would work for retail. I admire the stamina it takes to work standing all day!

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@ECBG I can see your issue as the ones that are most comfy for me are the cloud steppers, which are definitely very casual. I have no idea what would work for retail. I admire the stamina it takes to work standing all day!

@SunValleyI'm wearing the molded foot bed of Dansko, as many medical personnel do.

This one is my favorite in black, Dabney.

Image result for dansko booties

Frequent Contributor

I recently discovered Spring Step, especially L’Artiste line. Absolutely lovely, chic, and comfortable. Couldn’t imagine I’ll be able to walk on heels over 2” again.

I also love Vince Camuto for its classic look, and the same: never would’ve thought I’ll walk in high heels again. All others I’ve tried on are pretty much the same.

Trusted Contributor

I agree about inconsistent sizing, even among shoes of the same brand.  It really irritates me to order my 'usual' size of Earth brand boot here on the Q and have to return it and go up half size, and now the boot is too loose.  That happened the lsat time I bought a pair of boots here, but I kept the second pair anyways and just feel sloppy walking around.  By the way, I really do like the Earth brand boots - they are very comfy and seem to cradle my foot well. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@chiclet

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Rockports - green suede slip-ons (yellow trim) that I purchased from the Q over 10 yrs ago. They still look good - but I was thinking of tossing them - just because they're old. Hard to replace some of my old shoes. It is surprising that buying comfortable shoes at a reasonable price is a challenge.

I also have been trying to find something similar to that shoe for years. I have not tossed mine yet (black with green trim). I want to find a replacement first. I look at Rockport all the time and there is nothing like that shoe.

But isn't it amazing a 10 year old shoe that still looks good? Thank you Rockport.